Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 12-23-2007, 09:03 PM   #1
RJC
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 6896
Default Are We Better Off Without Willie Parker?

Now before you all get your panties all in a bunch, hear me out. RBs gain yards. RBs that get over 100 yards are considered to have a good game. When a RB accumulates 1,000+ yards in a season it's considered to be a great season. However, when you look harder at RBs, and identify the style in which they play you'll discover that YPC is one of the most deceiving stats in sports.

Look closer with me. You have 2 RBs playing for 2 different teams, both end their games on Sunday with stat line that reads like this: 100 yards on 20 carries for 5.0 YPC. Nice numbers for sure. Until you look at the style in which they were gained.
RB #1, his carries played out like this:
1, 3, -1, 5, 2, 0, 0, 4, 2, 8, 2, 4, 54, -4, 1, 3, 4, 2, 9, 0,

RB #2's carries play out like this:
4, 3, 5, 8, 6, 5, 3, 5, 10, 2, 9, 1, 9, 5, 11, 4, 6, 9, 4, 6

Now, you see RB #1 hit a long run of 54 yards. It made SportsCenter high lights. He also had 11 runs under 3 yards. He forced us into 2nd, 3rd and long. Exposed his QB to a heavier pass rush. Led to predictability.

RB#2 never had a run longer than 11 yards, but he also had only 2 runs under 3 yards. He plodded along. Moved chains, broke tackles, sustained drives, converted 3rd downs, ate clock, wore down the defense, kept his QB out of 2nd, 3rd & Long.

As you can clearly see, both had the same stat line, but they played very different games. RB #1's offense had to wait for him to break his long run, to get any real production. RB#2 contributed all throughout the game.

By now you should know who #1 & #2 are. Parker hurt our offense as much as he helped. While he did lead the league in yards, he also lead the league in tackles for loses and stuffs at the line of scrimmage. Davenport, gained consistent positive yardage through out the game. Parker's career high against Baltimore is 68 yards. We'll see how Davenport does next Sunday. How he does will interest us all to see if the offense is better with Naj over Willie.....
RJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 09:06 PM   #2
OneForTheToe
Living Legend

Member Number: 2408
Default Re: Are We Better Off Without Willie Parker?

Quote:
Are We Better Off Without Willie Parker?
No ... and I am not wearing any panties at all.
OneForTheToe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 09:15 PM   #3
Indy_Steelers
Team Captain

Member Number: 1117

they are both good
Old 12-23-2007, 09:15 PM   #4
ShutDown24
Team President

Member Number: 3997

Well considering Najeh Davenport was cut from a horrible Packers squad last year you must be right... Parker being out helps us because now Davenport is more consistant right? Wrong.

Parker has 4.2 YPC on the year while Davenport has 4.9... Oh and Davenport has fresh legs most of the time. But if you think .7 yards extra on the average is worth more than better pass protection, a few long runs and better play action then hey, I guess I can't stop you.

Davenport is a decent back up, nothing more.

Last edited by ShutDown24; 12-23-2007 at 09:25 PM.
ShutDown24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 10:59 PM   #5
cubanstogie
Head Coach

Member Number: 3082

unless you have a truly dominate back like Walter Payton, Barry Sanders, eric Dickerson, Bo Jackson, Marcus Allen too many more to name, you need two backs with different styles to be effective. Like Willie and Jerome were. Willis is solid and lightening fast but not in same category as the above mentioned. I don't think we lose that much without willie. I still think we are better off with him than without him though. Davenport by himself is not the answer either. Davenport is better out of the backfield catching passes in my opinion. Davis showed some promise the other night. I really haven't see n Russell do anything in the pros to impress me. If Najeh is injured we are really in trouble and thats what worries me. He is injury prone. I would love to have Brandon Jacobs or a Stephen Jackson type back, I think they are better suited for our offensive style. I could be wrong but I thing if you plugged in a number of backs in our offense and gave them the carries Willie has they would be leading the league in rushing as well. We will be fine without him. We need our defense to get back to the form they had earlier in the season and hope for zero turnovers to win in playoffs.
cubanstogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 11:32 PM   #6
Glace
Team Captain

Member Number: 3609

Our offense needs a big back.

I'm not trashing willie...never have....but he's not the long-term solution.
Glace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 11:37 PM   #7
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glace View Post
Our offense needs a big back.

I'm not trashing willie...never have....but he's not the long-term solution.
NO.

Our QB, Receivers, and RB need a OL that can block for him.

You don't change all of your skilled positions for the 5 guys on the line, you change the line for all of your skilled positions.

Do we need a change of pace big back... a back to put up tough yards in the second half? Yes. But Willie is our top back, and our ONLY top back.

Period.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 11:38 PM   #8
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,205 Times in 2,670 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJC View Post
Now before you all get your panties all in a bunch, hear me out. RBs gain yards. RBs that get over 100 yards are considered to have a good game. When a RB accumulates 1,000+ yards in a season it's considered to be a great season. However, when you look harder at RBs, and identify the style in which they play you'll discover that YPC is one of the most deceiving stats in sports.

Look closer with me. You have 2 RBs playing for 2 different teams, both end their games on Sunday with stat line that reads like this: 100 yards on 20 carries for 5.0 YPC. Nice numbers for sure. Until you look at the style in which they were gained.
RB #1, his carries played out like this:
1, 3, -1, 5, 2, 0, 0, 4, 2, 8, 2, 4, 54, -4, 1, 3, 4, 2, 9, 0,

RB #2's carries play out like this:
4, 3, 5, 8, 6, 5, 3, 5, 10, 2, 9, 1, 9, 5, 11, 4, 6, 9, 4, 6

Now, you see RB #1 hit a long run of 54 yards. It made SportsCenter high lights. He also had 11 runs under 3 yards. He forced us into 2nd, 3rd and long. Exposed his QB to a heavier pass rush. Led to predictability.

RB#2 never had a run longer than 11 yards, but he also had only 2 runs under 3 yards. He plodded along. Moved chains, broke tackles, sustained drives, converted 3rd downs, ate clock, wore down the defense, kept his QB out of 2nd, 3rd & Long.

As you can clearly see, both had the same stat line, but they played very different games. RB #1's offense had to wait for him to break his long run, to get any real production. RB#2 contributed all throughout the game.

By now you should know who #1 & #2 are. Parker hurt our offense as much as he helped. While he did lead the league in yards, he also lead the league in tackles for loses and stuffs at the line of scrimmage. Davenport, gained consistent positive yardage through out the game. Parker's career high against Baltimore is 68 yards. We'll see how Davenport does next Sunday. How he does will interest us all to see if the offense is better with Naj over Willie.....
this might be what someone thought was a good argument last year.

whachu do? rip it off of some other messageboard.

you might wanna check your stats a little closer. willie hasnt been peeling off 54 yarders this season.

this whole argument/debate/rant is old hat anyways.

it reminds me of buddy ryan bitching about chris carter-

Quote:
all he does is catch touchdowns
while were at it, ben takes too many sacks.

we need somebody like kordell stewart back there to take some snaps and help relieve him....

while he leads the league in plays out of the pocket he also is 2nd in sacks allowed...

i guess polamalu is #1 in missed tackles and taylor #1 in missed interceptions too. were probably better off w/o them, right?
Old 12-24-2007, 04:59 AM   #9
JackHammer
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 5640

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
NO.

Our QB, Receivers, and RB need a OL that can block for him.

You don't change all of your skilled positions for the 5 guys on the line, you change the line for all of your skilled positions.

Do we need a change of pace big back... a back to put up tough yards in the second half? Yes. But Willie is our top back, and our ONLY top back.

Period.
Exactly. The guy gets hurt while leading the league in rushing, behind a shaky O-line(trying to be nice). I don't how somebody can say he's not a longterm solution.
JackHammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 06:40 AM   #10
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,068 Times in 1,296 Posts
My Mood: Lurking

Parker is a good back but I will agree we need a big bruising back to come in and relieve willie when needed.
Galax Steeler is offline   Reply With Quote