Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 12-24-2007, 08:31 AM   #1
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 5,675 Times in 2,624 Posts
Default Peter King Full Of Steelers Praise

After picking the Rams to beat them, Peter King has jumped back on the bandwagon with these nuggets of Steelers praise in today's MMQB column:

First we praise Ben:

Of all the stupid opinions I had in my King 500 (the top 500 players in football, which I authored for the SI NFL preview), perhaps the biggest was not having Ben Roethlisberger in my top 20 players....

When you look at the difference between the AFC North's top two teams, Pittsburgh and Cleveland, I bring you one word: sacks. It's amazing the teams are sitting a game apart entering the final week with such a huge disparity in how they protect the quarterback.

Last year the Browns allowed 54 sacks, third-most in the league. This year they've allowed 17, second-fewest in the league. In Pittsburgh, Ben Roethlisberger has been dropped almost four times per game in 14 games.

Cleveland's amazing turnaround can be traced to two major factors: the addition of Joe Thomas at left tackle and Eric Steinbach at left guard. The duo has solidified a leaky side of the line that not only has kept Anderson clean, but also helped Jamal Lewis be great again. In addition, free-agent vet Steinbach has been the smart and loose leader this line lacked. For his part, Anderson has gotten rid of the ball on time and in rhythm.

What follows is a chart of the most-sacked and least-sacked quarterbacks -- of the ones starting in Week 16 -- in the NFL this year. The final number in each row is the frequency of sacks. For example, Roethlisberger has been sacked once per each 9.6 dropbacks from center, four times as frequently as Anderson has been sacked.
Most Sacked/Least Sacked QBs in 2007
Most Sacked Pass Attempts Sacks Dropbacks Frequency of sacks
Roethlisberger, PIT 404 47 451 1 per 9.6 dropbacks
Kitna, DET 497 49 546 1 per 11.1 dropbacks
Bulger, STL 353 34 387 1 per 11.4 dropbacks
McNabb, PHI 397 37 434 1 per 11.7 dropbacks
Least Sacked Pass Attempts Sacks Dropbacks Frequency of sacks
Brees, NO 550 12 562 1 per 46.8 dropbacks
*Anderson, CLE 459 12 471 1 per 39.3 dropbacks
Favre, GB 492 14 506 1 per 36.1 dropbacks
Brady, NE 503 17 520 1 per 30.6 dropbacks
*Charlie Frye was sacked five times in the season-opener for Cleveland before Anderson was inserted in the Browns' lineup in the second half of week one.

You know what this chart says to me? That Roethlisberger is having a truly amazing season in the midst of consistent protection breakdowns. To have a 32-11 TD-to-interception differential under that kind of pressure is stunning.

Then we move on to Najeh

Offensive Player of the Week

Pittsburgh RB Najeh Davenport, who just might be Bettis Jr.

Willie Parker goes down on the second play of Thursday night's game with a broken leg, leaving the Steelers without the leading rusher in the league (at that moment). Disaster.

But there's a reason personnel czar Kevin Colbert wanted Davenport so much before the 2006 season. It's because he's capable of having nights like he had at the Edward Jones Dome in the Steelers' 41-24 win over St. Louis, rushing 24 times for 123 yards, a 5.1-yard average, with two touchdowns.

"We didn't change anything when Willie went down,'' said Roethlisberger.

For his six-year career, Davenport has the equivalent of one long season: 372 carries, 1,761 yards, 4.7-yard average. A very good season. Brett Favre went a little too far, perhaps, when he said about Davenport during his Packer days, "The only thing standing between Najeh Davenport and a rushing title is Ahman Green.'' That's how good Davenport could be. The Steelers will need every bit of Davenport's potential to win in the playoffs....

Then King praises the CB play

I don't know how you can play the position of corner, in tandem, better than DeShea Townsend and Ike Taylor did it the other night in St. Louis. Seven deflected passes and an interception returned for the insurance touchdown in a 41-24 Steelers win. That's what's called four quarters of quarterback torment.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200.../week16/5.html

It truly is the season of goodwill towards men

Merry Christmas
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 08:49 AM   #2
stillers4me
Living Legend

Member Number: 2656
Default Re: Peter King Full Of Steelers Praise

I'll take every bit of Steeler love I can find.

and as the season rolls to an end, we'll see if the football gods are truly smiling upon us........................first stop, Broncos/Chargers tonight............

Hey.....I believe in my team and all, but a little bit of "divine intervention" never hurts!
stillers4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 09:06 AM   #3
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

Peter King is getting coal in his stocking from Santie Claus for being a naysayer. Hope he didn't scrape his knee when jumping back up on the Ben bandwagon.

Though I thik Najeh is a tremendous asset to the Steelers' backfield and can do some really good things, I think even remotely comparing him to The Bus (at this point) is a teensie weensie bit of a stretch.

Thanks Dan for the read - it warmed the ****les of my heart.

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 09:12 AM   #4
RJC
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 6896

Najeh, the return of the power.....
RJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 09:29 AM   #5
Dino 6 Rings
Living Legend

Member Number: 6891

Peter King can lick my (choose body part) and enjoy himself.

He only "likes" the Steelers now because its trendy and his email inbox was probably slammed with Steelers fans hate mail.

He can do me a favor and never mention us again and I'll be just fine.
Dino 6 Rings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 09:35 AM   #6
Rhee Rhee
Head Coach

Member Number: 7579

i respect this guy.. im glad he's on our bandwagon... i just hope that everyone here doesn't get too high on najeh... he's a great back but no willie parker
Old 12-24-2007, 09:44 AM   #7
steel striker
Banned

Member Number: 7251

Sounds like to me that King jumped back so. incase we do make another sb run he won't look so stupid. I think we will be fine with Najeh at rb and, if our defense can play like I know they can we will be fine. Plus people don't say enough about the year Big ben is having it is amazing.
steel striker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 12:32 PM   #8
jjpro11
Living Legend

Member Number: 3559

someone needs to find those ass clowns who wrote anderson deserved to be in the pro bowl more than ben, and send them anderson's stat line yesterday.
jjpro11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 12:33 PM   #9
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

Member Number: 541

Quote:
Originally Posted by HometownGal View Post
Peter King is getting coal in his stocking from Santie Claus for being a naysayer. Hope he didn't scrape his knee when jumping back up on the Ben bandwagon.

Though I thik Najeh is a tremendous asset to the Steelers' backfield and can do some really good things, I think even remotely comparing him to The Bus (at this point) is a teensie weensie bit of a stretch.

Thanks Dan for the read - it warmed the ****les of my heart.
Santa already gave him crow.

786 Ways To Score Touchdowns
SteelCityMan786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 01:20 PM   #10
Welcome To Smashmouth
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 6038

Love to hear that kind of backtracking and admittance of being wrong on something like that which had me going nuts at first look. He didn't have a single one of our CBs (or FS) in the top FIVE HUNDRED players...wow.
Welcome To Smashmouth is offline   Reply With Quote