Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 12-24-2007, 02:36 PM   #1
Welcome To Smashmouth
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 6038
Default Anybody think Smith got the shaft??

It seems like the steelers defenders that I'm pimping to the fullest, the ones that always play with an unmatchable passion, but just may open that mouth a little too frequently, get the shaft. Case #1 - Joey Porter. Lights-out LB, holder of a RARE 75th anniversary team at our deepest position of the franchise's history, gets let go without even an offer to decline! Unacceptable

Case #2 - Anthony Smith. Ok, so he shouldn't have guaranteed a win in a game that we once again could have played the underdog effect and knocked the high king off his horse....WE KNOW!!! But to play a maximum of two bad games (1.5 through my eyes) is NOT a suitable reason to put that kind of talent on the bench. I know fantasy football isn't a sole-reason to justify a point, but when hes getting me more points for the year than Ed Reed is while only starting a portion of the season....THATS SIGNIFICANT! I have faith in this team and I have faith in the organization, but this long string of questionable calls really has me scratching my head. Getting the best talent out on the field seems like one of the easier of choices they have to make....lets see it done!
Welcome To Smashmouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 02:54 PM   #2
OneForTheToe
Living Legend

Member Number: 2408
Default Re: Anybody think Smith got the shaft??

Porter wasn't shafted. The Steelers could have tried and trade him for a draft pick where he would have had to play for much less this season. Joey said that much upon his release. Furthermore, how is the guy doing who replaced Porter? I think James Harrison made the Pro Bowl, didn’t he? So I am not sure where you are going with that.

You are assuming that Anthony Smith is our best talent at safety. What proof is there of this? Smith didn't win the starting job in training camp. In fact, the only reason Smith was starting in the first place is because of an injury to another player. Honestly, I hope the kid makes it, but other than a handful of big hits (which seem to have captivated a portion of Steelers’s fans), what has he done to prove that he can be a starter in the NFL - let alone a star?
OneForTheToe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 03:01 PM   #3
TapOut64
Water Boy

Member Number: 1664

Sorry, the guy got burnt two games in a row, Tomlin did the right thing. He's currently not worth the risk of giving up the long ball. He's young so hopefully he learns from it.
Old 12-24-2007, 03:06 PM   #4
Welcome To Smashmouth
Bench Warmer

Yeah, your right.....to have a player bring as much as Porter did not only on the field, making numerous pro bowls, but also being the largest force of locker room presense this team has ever had since i've been watching them, and then not even offer him a contract to TURN DOWN is completely fair. i watched the guy get out of his car in miami, have an interviewer walk up to him and start asking him questions, and joey simply stated "i just wanted a contract offered to me, i didn't even have anything to turn down if i wanted to". the guys heart is obviously in pittsburgh, and it was brutish of our organization to let such a presence go in a manner like that. wheres the tribue to all he's poured his heart and soul into these past 8 seasons?? it's not like he took a bullet in the ass for us or anything. i got nothin but love for the way harrisons been playing, but if your trying to tell me that haggans + harrison would have been more effective than porter + harrison i'd call you a fool. if joey porter were 45 and a bench player, his passion for the game on the sideline and in the locker room to spark flames within teamate's hearts would be reason enough to let his dream come true of retiring in black and gold
Old 12-24-2007, 03:13 PM   #5
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

Joey Porter.

Was talking about holding out on his contract. He would have been a disruption to the team and the new coach at a time when that is the last thing they needed. Joey brought it on himself.

A. Smith.

I have, do, and will love the kid. I think he will actually instill fear in opposing wr''s for years to come just as he has done against Cincinnatti. However, he needs to mature in his decision making on the field. This is the BEST time to bench him. He is young, he will learn, and end up having a good career because of it.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 03:16 PM   #6
Welcome To Smashmouth
Bench Warmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
This is the BEST time to bench him. He is young, he will learn, and end up having a good career because of it.
100% behind this statement, IF benching him had to be an option. this is going to be nothing but fuel to this young man's fire, and with his already over-ferocious mentality on the field, i see if paying off in the long run. good thinkin, preach
Old 12-24-2007, 03:21 PM   #7
OneForTheToe
Living Legend

Member Number: 2408

I luv Joey Porter (in a manly football sense). But just because he was on the Steelers's 75 anniversary team doesn't mean at this point in his career that he is worth a 5 year 32 million dollar contract. Did you fall asleep in the seventies and just wakeup missing that we are in a Salary cap era? You think the Steelers could afford to pay Joey 6+ million a year and still sign Troy, Ben and Aaron Smith (as they did early). As I said, I consider Joey a Steeler for life, but how has that big contract worked out for the Dolphins?

The fact is that Harrison has been better at Porter's position this season than Joey was last year or this year. Also, it is apparent to me that the Steelers drafted Haggans’ replacement this season in Woodley. This is how the Steelers roll; know when to let high price older players go because they are not worth the cap space and replace them with good draft picks and a few FA’s. No, it isn't always perfect (see letting Woodson go).

However, don't we have about the best record winning percentage in the NFL over the past 10 to 15 years?
OneForTheToe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 04:01 PM   #8
rbryan
Team President

Member Number: 5196

Out of respect the FO didn't offer him 1/3 of what he eventially signed for with Miami. Steelers did him a huge favor to release him no strings attached. JP would have never taken the max we would have offered him. Thats just Joey being Joey in that interview. He made it very clear a year before he was released that he wanted huge money.
rbryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 04:02 PM   #9
Welcome To Smashmouth
Bench Warmer

So, not to get off topic here or anything but uh.....anybody think smith got the shaft??
Old 12-24-2007, 04:56 PM   #10
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welcome To Smashmouth View Post
So, not to get off topic here or anything but uh.....anybody think smith got the shaft??
No, and I don't believe Porter did either, sorry Smashmouth. Peezy was beloved here in the Burgh but it didn't appear that he and the Rooneys were on the same page, so it was time for him to depart and get his big payday elsewhere which he did. James Harrison has filled in beautifully in his stead.

As for Anthony - I love his aggressiveness, but he needs to channel it a little better. I believe he will learn from the vets on the team when to hold 'em and when to fold 'em but it's going to take a little time. As long as Cowher and Lebeau continue to have patience with him, I believe this kid is a diamond in the rough.

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote