Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 12-27-2007, 01:28 AM   #1
jim brown
Water Boy

Member Number: 382
Default Defense

Do all you fans remember when, this year,the defense was jumping all around and the offense didn't know what was coming at them? It seems to me that "zip" once showen is gone.Now i missed the last two games due to illness but, this is the way I feel! I know some injuries have occured but, what happened to all the intensenty that was there ? Steeler fan forever-old timer here !!!
Sorry couldn't find spell ck. lol
jim brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 03:50 AM   #2
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,315 Times in 1,411 Posts
My Mood: Lurking
Default Re: Defense

The fire is still there but with some injuries the deffense looks like it has backed off a little bit.
Galax Steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 03:54 AM   #3
Steel Pit
Banned

Member Number: 2140

I can pinpoint what has occurred. They haven't tackled very well but they made up for that by not covering very well, lol.

In a few of our most recent games it seemed as if the opposition could do whatever they chose to do whether it was spreading our defense out and passing all over them, or....

using their RB to corrall our entire defense to one side of the field and then cutting back to a wide open area where he carried the ball for double digit gains, or....

running draw plays on 3rd and long situations and CONVERTING them into 1st downs.

Things haven't been going very well for the defense. I don't have an answer for stopping the spread offense, it seems as if the Steelers have always struggled against that type of formation.

As for the cutback running plays that have been so successful against our defense, I believe that a little discipline can correct that problem. I'll quote OLB Greg Lloyd during a game in the mid-90's. "You guys have got to play gap defense. Don't be sticking your f u c k i n g nose where it doesn't belong."

I believe that following Lloyds advice would quell the Steelers recent issues against the run.
Steel Pit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 09:31 AM   #4
Stlr4ever
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 7925

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim brown View Post
Do all you fans remember when, this year,the defense was jumping all around and the offense didn't know what was coming at them? It seems to me that "zip" once showen is gone.Now i missed the last two games due to illness but, this is the way I feel! I know some injuries have occured but, what happened to all the intensenty that was there ? Steeler fan forever-old timer here !!!
Sorry couldn't find spell ck. lol
Our defense is lacking in 'POWER' and speed. We need players like Lloyd and Greene!! The power/force that enabled the '95 and 2005 Steelers defense that propelled the team to SBs. That's the reason they fared so poorly against Brady this season. In NE, seemed like they were always 2 or 3 yards away from making big plays. Obviously, being close(even by inches) is not going to cut it. As I recall, our DB was just a foot away from breaking up the big play in the EZ. Our D players were pretty close to getting close to Moss just before he tossed the ball back to Brady. We just need more talented players. Our NT, DEs, and ILBs are not getting the job done. Our safeties leave much to be desired. I realize Troy has been injured. That's why it's critically important to have depth at key positions.
Stlr4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 11:33 AM   #5
Dino 6 Rings
Living Legend

Member Number: 6891

I'd like to see Ike on more single man converage, and see Harrison moved around more, flipping to the left side once in a while and would like to see Troy in more coverage on Tight Ends while linebackers are blitzing.
Dino 6 Rings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 02:22 PM   #6
Rotorhead
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 703
My Mood: Relaxed

The forgot how to tackle for a bit there, Polamalu's productivity dropped off significantly till he got injured. His injury moved Smith into the lineup too soon and we started getting killed in the passing game and had to pull out of run support to stop that bleeding which opened up that issue. Well Polamalu is back, and playing like we remember and Smith is back in the nickle where he should be at this stage so our run def is back to where it needs to be. Our corners (Taylor and Townsend) now have actually safety help again and are back to where they need to be. Our biggest problem is pressuring the QB so hopefully we can figure that out in the next 2 weeks.
Rotorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 03:18 PM   #7
BlastFurnace
Living Legend

Member Number: 6321

I see some of our problems in these areas:

In the 3-4 defense, the the LB's are the stars. At OLB, Harrison has kept his end of the bargain, but Haggans has not. Haggans is basically invisible out there.
Our MLB's, Foote is decent, but gets run over too easily. Farrior is just getting another year older and has slowed. Next year, we really need Timmons and Woodley to take the reigns at two of the LB positions.

Our secondary really took a hit when Ryan Clark went out. He was playing really well this season. We have seen that Smith is not ready to start, Polamalu has been hurt more often than not, and Carter is really not a starting caliber safety. Basically, other than Taylor and Troy...when healthy, we don't have much speed in the secondary.

Another problem has been the play of Brett Keisel. Brett, IMO, is a situational pass rusher, not a every play DE in the 3-4. I am not sure if the Steelers are trying to play him like the Ravens used to play Adalius Thomas, but Brett is not that kind of impact player.

It's too bad that the Steelers couldn't have reeled in Kimo VonOhloffen after he was released by the Jets as a stop gap for this year. Yes, he has aged, but he would have swallowed up valuable minutes spelling either Keisel or Smith when needed. Now with Smith out for the year, we really could use him because Eason is terrible.

Hopefully for 2008, with the influx of Timmons, Woodley, and McFadden, our defense will get some speed back into it.
BlastFurnace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 03:31 PM   #8
eafratitpm3
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 1192

Age is a state of mind, I know a team that has some old players on D and I think they are 15-0. Bottom line is our D just isn't as physical as years past and they lack the intensity that is required to play with a good team.
eafratitpm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 03:52 PM   #9
The_WARDen
Head Coach

Member Number: 7628

Quote:
Originally Posted by eafratitpm3 View Post
Age is a state of mind, I know a team that has some old players on D and I think they are 15-0. Bottom line is our D just isn't as physical as years past and they lack the intensity that is required to play with a good team.
They aren't 15-0 because of there D that's for sure...it's easy to play D when you're up 31-3 at halftime.
After reading the idiotic threads over the past couple of weeks, I ask the question - "Who is worse...Steeler fans or Eagles fans?" Keep in mind that Eagle fans do not know what it's like to win a SB much less 6 and 2 this decade.
The_WARDen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 03:55 PM   #10
BlastFurnace
Living Legend

Member Number: 6321

Quote:
Originally Posted by eafratitpm3 View Post
Other than Seau, how many of their starters are really that old. The DL of Warren, Seymour, and Wilfork are all 30 or below.

The LB's, other than Seau are not that old. Seau is a freak. He has always kept himself in perfect physical condition. Vrabel and Bruschi are both 33 or so.

The Patriot secondary is also filled with younger players.

The Patriots are winning so much this season mostly because they have a QB that has thrown 48 touchdowns this year. Take Brady off that team and see what their record would be.
BlastFurnace is offline   Reply With Quote