Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Bucs

Old 12-28-2007, 09:57 AM   #1
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363
Default Patriots Future

For those of us...(99% of the world) who are tired of all the Patriots knob slobbing...Let me give you just a little more good news.

You know from previous posts that the Patriots are looking at a pretty sizable financial obstacle in retaining their players next year...$23 million to Samuel, $11 million to Moss, $11 million to Stallworth, $18 million to Wilfork and around $18 million to the first round draft choice. That?s over $80 million in bonuses and guarantees to just five players in one offseason.

That in itself may make your day but for all of us who get so tired of hearing how losing a first round pick for CHEATING was softened by picking up a first round pick from the 49ers.....lets look closer at last years draft

Brandon Meriweather S Miami: Plays rarely even on DB heavy schemes
Kareem Brown DT Miami.........................................Not on Roster
Clint Oldenburg OL Colorado State.......................Not on Roster
Justin Rogers DE Southern Methodist..................Not on Roster
Mike Richardson CB Notre Dame..........................Not on Roster
Justise Hairston RB Central Connecticut State...Not on Roster
Corey Hilliard T Oklahoma State.............................Not on Roster
Oscar Lua ILB USC............................................... .....Not on Roster
Mike Elgin OL University of Iowa..............................Not on Roster

That's 8 out of 9 draft picks that didnt make the team....and Meriweather is considered the #3 biggest draft bust by ProFootballWeekly.

Even if last year was a fluck...the pats lost a full year with their last draft.

I think I will open this post on a regular basis....it makes me smile.
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 10:10 AM   #2
ShutDown24
Team President

Member Number: 3997
Default Re: Patriots Future

The team hasn't been that good at drafting since Parcells left IMO... They have gotten a few good picks over the years like Seymour and Watson but most of the time their first round picks... Or any round picks for that matter end up making little or no impact then leaving via free agency (Daniel Graham, Brandon Merriweather, Lawrence Maroney, Andy Katzenmoyer). That is why they have had to make a living off of picking up other people’s trash.
Old 12-28-2007, 03:18 PM   #3
The Patriot
Head Coach

Member Number: 7750

Well we did get Brady! #199

First of all, it isn't like we got this pick for free. It's leftover from what we got for Deion Branch and based on the Patriots drafting record, I doubt we will pick up anybody to compensate for him. So rest easy.

Secondly, we will likely trade this pick to a lousy team like Miami, who is desperately trying to build, for a veteran. Oh, let's say Jason Taylor by chance? We did it with Thomas. So I wouldn't expect the Patriots defense to disapear next year.
The Patriot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 03:21 PM   #4
ShutDown24
Team President

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Patriot View Post
Well we did get Brady! #199

First of all, it isn't like we got this pick for free. It's leftover from what we got for Deion Branch and based on the Patriots drafting record, I doubt we will pick up anybody to compensate for him. So rest easy.

Secondly, we will likely trade this pick to a lousy team like Miami, who is desperately trying to build, for a veteran. Oh, let's say Jason Taylor by chance? We did it with Thomas. So I wouldn't expect the Patriots defense to disapear next year.
Parcells wants to trade waaay down. I don't see any chance of you trading the pick to Miami. The smartest thing to do would be indeed trade it away... I just have a feeling Belichick wants to stick it to the league even more by taking a superstar... It would be a bad deceision in my opinion, and one that is unlikely to take place, but I can see them using the pick actually.
Old 12-28-2007, 04:02 PM   #5
Elvis
Banned

Member Number: 2390

Who was it that said the Patriots pick up everone else's trash?...
Shutdown24?.... I hope that you werent serious when you said that. All they have picked up is Randy Moss... one of the most talented recievers in todays' game.. like it or not. That is really all Brady has lacked in the last few seasons. This is truly a team that is one of the best put together and is coached by one of the best head coaches in the league's history. I cant stand his ways most of the time, but the man is the best in the business today.
Elvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 04:04 PM   #6
The Patriot
Head Coach

Member Number: 7750

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShutDown24 View Post
Parcells wants to trade waaay down. I don't see any chance of you trading the pick to Miami. The smartest thing to do would be indeed trade it away... I just have a feeling Belichick wants to stick it to the league even more by taking a superstar... It would be a bad deceision in my opinion, and one that is unlikely to take place, but I can see them using the pick actually.
Watch him steal a top QB like Matt Ryan from a poor 5-11 team.
The Patriot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 04:09 PM   #7
ShutDown24
Team President

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvis View Post
Who was it that said the Patriots pick up everone else's trash?...
Shutdown24?.... I hope that you werent serious when you said that. All they have picked up is Randy Moss... one of the most talented recievers in todays' game.. like it or not. That is really all Brady has lacked in the last few seasons. This is truly a team that is one of the best put together and is coached by one of the best head coaches in the league's history. I cant stand his ways most of the time, but the man is the best in the business today.
Vrable, Poteat, Corey Dillon, Stallworth, Welker, Heath Evans, Thomas, Seau, Harrison... I could go on and on... It isn't an insult, just a figure of speech. The team doesn't build on drafting as much as most good teams do. They build their team on free agency...

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Patriot View Post
Watch him steal a top QB like Matt Ryan from a poor 5-11 team.
Honestly, that would be fricking hilarious. Hey, you never know
Old 12-29-2007, 09:06 AM   #8
RoethlisBURGHer
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 370

I can see them taking Matt Ryan and trading him to some crap team for next year's first round pick. Or just to ber jerkoffs, let him sit behind Brady for a few years.

If they do use the pick, I think we will see them use it on a CB. With the 12th win of the year, activated a clause in Asante Samuels contract whuich bars them from hitting him with the franchise tag, which clears hum to become an unrestricted free agent. We won't be a Patriot after this season.

Congrats to the 2009 Stanley Cup Champion Pittsburgh Penguins
RoethlisBURGHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 09:26 AM   #9
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

WHEN they lose in the playoffs.....reality will set in and the Pats will draft a LBer.
Old 01-05-2008, 11:41 AM   #10
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

I heard that friggin' idiot Collinsworth yesterday on the radio saying that the Pats may be willing to trade with Dallas to get out of the top 10...but there is NO way that the Pats can afford two 1st round draft picks and NO WAY Dallas would give them up when the draft is as deep as it is.