Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

 Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Steelers Draft Central > ** The War Room 2012 **


Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-21-2008, 06:01 AM   #281
Aussie_steeler
Head Coach
 
Aussie_steeler's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Australia
Posts: 1,814
Gender: Male
Member Number: 5037
Thanks: 1
Thanked 16 Times in 6 Posts
Default Re: LLT has taken over the draft!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamberts-lost-tooth View Post
I like it Aussie....I wonder if the Steelers may go with Avril at OLB in the second...CB Tyvon Branch in the third.....(gotta love the possibilities!!!)
I think they would dearly love Groves in the second but he will be gone. I know some people dont like it but a DE/OLB hybrid will be taken to compensate for the loss of Haggans and the ageing of Harrison.

I am not sold on Avril, so Moore is better value in the 2nd. Branch would be a great pick up in the third. I was watching Molden but he is this weeks Brandon Albert and is screaming up the boards.

My lingering question is who provides quality at DE after Langford is gone in the third. I dont see anyone who fits our scheme in the later rounds who will possibly make the move to starter in 2-3 years. I just see more players like McBean. To me we have to have a DE in the first three rounds.

Note: for the first time ever the first day of the draft is being broadcast live into Australia on ESPN. Boy am I looking forward to it
__________________
Aussie_steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 08:01 AM   #282
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned
 
lamberts-lost-tooth's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2006
Location: Midwest
Posts: 10,829
Gender: Male
Member Number: 2363
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Re: LLT has taken over the draft!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie_steeler View Post
I think they would dearly love Groves in the second but he will be gone. I know some people dont like it but a DE/OLB hybrid will be taken to compensate for the loss of Haggans and the ageing of Harrison.

I am not sold on Avril, so Moore is better value in the 2nd. Branch would be a great pick up in the third. I was watching Molden but he is this weeks Brandon Albert and is screaming up the boards.

My lingering question is who provides quality at DE after Langford is gone in the third. I dont see anyone who fits our scheme in the later rounds who will possibly make the move to starter in 2-3 years. I just see more players like McBean. To me we have to have a DE in the first three rounds.

Note: for the first time ever the first day of the draft is being broadcast live into Australia on ESPN. Boy am I looking forward to it
Looking outside the first two rounds:

As far as true 3-4 DE's....Check out Jason Jones in the 3rd... Brian Johnston in the 4th...Kenny Iwebema in the 5th...Marcus Dixon in the 7th

Also check out hybrid DT's ...Nick Hayden as a 4th rounder (I like this guy)...Lionel Dotson in the 6th...Keilen Dykes in the 6th..and Chris Norwell in the 7th .

Very cool that you will get to watch it!!!!!!!!!!!
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 06:13 PM   #283
Aussie_steeler
Head Coach
 
Aussie_steeler's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Australia
Posts: 1,814
Gender: Male
Member Number: 5037
Thanks: 1
Thanked 16 Times in 6 Posts
Default Re: LLT has taken over the draft!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamberts-lost-tooth View Post
Looking outside the first two rounds:

As far as true 3-4 DE's....Check out Jason Jones in the 3rd... Brian Johnston in the 4th...Kenny Iwebema in the 5th...Marcus Dixon in the 7th

Also check out hybrid DT's ...Nick Hayden as a 4th rounder (I like this guy)...Lionel Dotson in the 6th...Keilen Dykes in the 6th..and Chris Norwell in the 7th .

Very cool that you will get to watch it!!!!!!!!!!!
I think most of the guys mentioned above would make solid backups, much like what we have. I think it is time to put a young stud onto the D line to become the future core to build around for when the time comes that we dont have Aaron and Casey around. You have probably guessed that I am big on succession planning ( a hang up from work)


found this little snippet on Brian Johnston that you might like to read.


Quote:
Gardner-Webb defensive end Brian Johnston could go as high as the third round. I have heard many scouts from 4-3 teams say they absolutely love him. Few know this, but his 10 yard split at his Pro Day was the same as Darren McFadden's. Also, his Pro Day shuttle time bested every defensive lineman and running back at the Combine in Indianapolis! I think Rashard Mendenhall may've tied his number, but the dude is a freak. I know a lot teams think he could be the next Aaron Kampman or Jared Allen.

DD.comment: We'd like to thank this anonymous N.F.L. source for all the great tidbits and opinions he's given us since the 2007 Combine. Also, DD.com friend/ contributor Josh Buchanan has told us former Gardner-Webb star Brian Johnston is drawing very heavy interest from Tennessee, Kansas City and the N.E. Patriots. Tennessee has a coach that went to Gardner-Webb so they know a lot about him. Also, they have a huge void at defensive end with Travis LaBoy and Antwan Odom leaving via free agency.

http://www.draftdaddy.com/blog/nfldraft.cfm
I am looking forward to both being online with you guys and watching live to get a true draft day experience. Looks like I will be up at 4am here to start watching with the rest of you.
__________________
Aussie_steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 07:25 PM   #284
Texasteel
Living Legend
Supporter
 
Texasteel's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Dallas, Tx
Posts: 3,638
Gender: Male
Member Number: 8323
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: LLT has taken over the draft!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamberts-lost-tooth View Post
Looking outside the first two rounds:

As far as true 3-4 DE's....Check out Jason Jones in the 3rd... Brian Johnston in the 4th...Kenny Iwebema in the 5th...Marcus Dixon in the 7th

Also check out hybrid DT's ...Nick Hayden as a 4th rounder (I like this guy)...Lionel Dotson in the 6th...Keilen Dykes in the 6th..and Chris Norwell in the 7th .

Very cool that you will get to watch it!!!!!!!!!!!
I'm afraid Jones would be a little light to play DE for us and would have to gain weight or play OLB, if we are going that direction I'm not sure I don't like Thomson from Wake Forest.

I really like Nick Haden as well, but think a backup plan of Brian Johnson at DE would be the best way to go.

I agree with you that Moore will not reach us in the 2nd, and Langford may not be there at our 3rd round pick. Have said that I for one will be hoping to Langford in the 2nd and the best CB in the 3rd.
__________________


Simply, The Chief.
Texasteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 09:18 AM   #285
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned
 
lamberts-lost-tooth's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2006
Location: Midwest
Posts: 10,829
Gender: Male
Member Number: 2363
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Re: LLT has taken over the draft!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texasteel View Post
I'm afraid Jones would be a little light to play DE for us and would have to gain weight or play OLB, if we are going that direction I'm not sure I don't like Thomson from Wake Forest.

I really like Nick Haden as well, but think a backup plan of Brian Johnson at DE would be the best way to go.

I agree with you that Moore will not reach us in the 2nd, and Langford may not be there at our 3rd round pick. Have said that I for one will be hoping to Langford in the 2nd and the best CB in the 3rd.
Believe it or not...Jones is only about 5 lbs lighter than Brian Johnson...But again, I agree with you about Nick Haden...he is a monster as far as sheer strength...The right coach might be able to light a fire under him and we can get some real value in the later rounds.
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 09:31 AM   #286
lilyoder6
locked behind Xanax bars
 
lilyoder6's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Playin' touch football, on marijuana street
Posts: 6,388
Gender: Male
Member Number: 2568
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: LLT has taken over the draft!!!

if he there i would take a look at trevor laws in the 2nd rd... he had a good career at de at nd.. could come in and help nicely
lilyoder6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 07:07 PM   #287
Texasteel
Living Legend
Supporter
 
Texasteel's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Dallas, Tx
Posts: 3,638
Gender: Male
Member Number: 8323
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: LLT has taken over the draft!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamberts-lost-tooth View Post
Believe it or not...Jones is only about 5 lbs lighter than Brian Johnson...But again, I agree with you about Nick Haden...he is a monster as far as sheer strength...The right coach might be able to light a fire under him and we can get some real value in the later rounds.
I think Jones is a fine play and couldn't complain at all if we got him.

As for Haden, I would not mind taking him late even if we did get Langford. For sure if we could pick up a couple more picks like the FO is talking.
__________________


Simply, The Chief.
Texasteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 05:45 AM   #288
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned
 
lamberts-lost-tooth's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2006
Location: Midwest
Posts: 10,829
Gender: Male
Member Number: 2363
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Re: LLT has taken over the draft!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texasteel View Post
I think Jones is a fine play and couldn't complain at all if we got him.

As for Haden, I would not mind taking him late even if we did get Langford. For sure if we could pick up a couple more picks like the FO is talking.
The draft looks deep enough that trading down seems to be the smart play....The closer we get to this draft the more everything starts to come into focus..and the more exciting it becomes!!!
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 09:00 AM   #289
DACEB
Banned
 
DACEB's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,480
Gender: Male
Member Number: 2911
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: LLT has taken over the draft!!!

I wanted to say thanks to everyone that made this years ride to the draft so much fun. Special thanks to LLT who always has a ton of info, and really keeps us all going.

Good luck to us all today and tommorrow!
DACEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 09:15 AM   #290
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned
 
lamberts-lost-tooth's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2006
Location: Midwest
Posts: 10,829
Gender: Male
Member Number: 2363
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Re: LLT has taken over the draft!!!

Thanks DACEB....I have to work but will only miss the first hour of the draft...then I am laying on the couch with my draft sheet and value chart.

I come back in tommorrow morning and will try and give some info on our first two picks
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:23 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Shoutbox provided by vBShout v6.2.1 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.0.8 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Navbar with Avatar by Motorradforum
no new posts