Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 12-31-2007, 01:41 PM   #1
Lord Stiller
Banned

Member Number: 7087
Default Catch 22 on the Steelers fanbase

Yes we probably have more fans than any team

Yes we definitely have more fans at away games than any team by far

Yes we are more passionate than any fanbase

BUT

Why are are fans so weak at home games? Not consistently loud like many other stadiums are and tons of people leave early to "beat traffic or whatever"

It really pisses me off. My theory is that its so popular to be a steelers fan and the tix are so expensive that you get all these "yuppy" fans going to the game. I have noticed a HUGE difference in the crowd from the old 3 Rivers Days to now at Heinz field.

I have been to 40+ home games in my life, 5 away games, 11 playoff games, 4 AFC championship games and 1 SB. The greatest game BY FAR I have ever been to was the '03 wildcard game vs Cleveland. We had club seats but didnt want to sit near the yuppies so we stood in the rotunda and had the best time ever. Well over half the stadium left at the end of the 3rd and only the true passionate fans remained to watch the Browns 17-pt lead crumble.
Lord Stiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 01:47 PM   #2
Jeremy
Banned

Member Number: 2579
Default Re: Catch 22 on the Steelers fanbase

One thing I've noticed is that there have been some bad weather games at the end of the last couple of season. That might have been keeping fans away.

But I agree, Heinz Field has been far too quiet. Heck, University Of Phoenix Stadium is louder than Heniz Field these days.
Jeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 02:15 PM   #3
moedap
Starter

Member Number: 2890

The folks here in Wash D.C. have been complaining about the crowd noise at Fed Ex Field. RFK stadium holds 58,000 compared to Fed Ex's 90,000+ but the fans who went to both stadiums say RFK was by far the loudest. I dont know the difference between Heinz and old 3 Rivers but I think it a combination of the corporate sponsor fan and the designs of the stadium. The larger stadiums may have more sound loss.
moedap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 02:16 PM   #4
Jeremy
Banned

Member Number: 2579

New stadiums = higher ticket prices = loss of Joe Six Pack.
Jeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 03:08 PM   #5
19ward86
Head Coach

Member Number: 2717

i have noticed that also, our home games are almost silent unless we are on a comeback from 14 under. i think the fact that the stadium is so open plays a huge role why it is so quiet. idk because i have never been to a steelers game becuase i have never had the money to get good enough seats to enjoy, i was offered tickets to a 49ers away game a few years back but it would of costed around $400 and i was only 13 or 14 at the time.
Old 12-31-2007, 03:28 PM   #6
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009

If you look at the home games this season, the weather has not been the greatest. The fans are there (attendance). If our home was warm and sunny like San Diego, Phoenix or Oakland it's a bit easier to cheer.

When you have wind blowing freezing rain in your face all afternoon it tends to be a little difficult to cheer for four quarters straight. Normally your main objective is to keep warm. It's a little different than sitting in a warm family room or your local bar.

Personally, I'll take snow/blizzard over the weather that I've encountered at just about every home game this season. It's been miserable.

Last edited by 83-Steelers-43; 12-31-2007 at 03:47 PM.
83-Steelers-43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 03:33 PM   #7
Michael Keller
Starter

Member Number: 5736

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Stiller View Post
Yes we probably have more fans than any team

Yes we definitely have more fans at away games than any team by far

Yes we are more passionate than any fanbase

BUT

Why are are fans so weak at home games? Not consistently loud like many other stadiums are and tons of people leave early to "beat traffic or whatever"

It really pisses me off. My theory is that its so popular to be a steelers fan and the tix are so expensive that you get all these "yuppy" fans going to the game. I have noticed a HUGE difference in the crowd from the old 3 Rivers Days to now at Heinz field.

I have been to 40+ home games in my life, 5 away games, 11 playoff games, 4 AFC championship games and 1 SB. The greatest game BY FAR I have ever been to was the '03 wildcard game vs Cleveland. We had club seats but didnt want to sit near the yuppies so we stood in the rotunda and had the best time ever. Well over half the stadium left at the end of the 3rd and only the true passionate fans remained to watch the Browns 17-pt lead crumble.
You are very qualified to make your observations well known and your opinion is shared by me. I am from Sacramento via Aliquippa Pa. The last two games I went to at Heinz field , this year vs Jacksonville and two years ago against tthe Pats I thought the fan enthusiasm was above average but not nearly as intense as I hoped for.

Here in Sacramento the Steeler fans at the local bars are much more vocal and excited then the fans back at the Burgh. Most of the Steelers fans here in Sacramento our the children of fans from this area from the 70's teams. They are not from Pittsburgh and they love Steeler football .

I see the yuppie syndromne at Heinz and I see many fans that are there for the Party of drinking and just getting high. Thse fans are constantly going back and forth to the concession stands to get beers and I am on the edge of my seat reilsihing every moment. These guys are not into the game.

I think there is a significant percentage of Steeler fans at the home games that are not true die hards but I also think there are more fans at the home games who are not die hards. The fact that all the fans are not shocks people like you and I .

The Sacramento fans as well as other fans in other cities are true fans and for the 3 hours the Steelers are on TV being shown at the various bars or if we travel to San Fran or Phoenix we are very dedicated and into it.

I am glad you brought this up because I have been little dissapointed like you. I am sure that most all of our fans will be pumped up for the play off game on Saturday. Good point.
Michael Keller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 03:46 PM   #8
Haiku_Dirtt
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 1645

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83-Steelers-43 View Post
Personally, I'll take snow/blizzard over the weather that I've encountered at just about every home game this season. It's been miserable.
It's one thing to be cold. Quite another to be cold with driving rain in your face like the walk to the MNF Ravens game. For the half dozen games I've gone to at Heinz the last few years the crowd noise level correlated with the drop in temperature for sure.

Something that seems to really annoy me is that the PA soundtrack overwhelmingly drowns out the crowd. Also the long commercial breaks damper the excitement. Really. How many people at Heinz have the vocal chords to wail that long?
Haiku_Dirtt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 03:51 PM   #9
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haiku_Dirtt View Post
It's one thing to be cold. Quite another to be cold with driving rain in your face like the walk to the MNF Ravens game. For the half dozen games I've gone to at Heinz the last few years the crowd noise level correlated with the drop in temperature for sure.

Something that seems to really annoy me is that the PA soundtrack overwhelmingly drowns out the crowd. Also the long commercial breaks damper the excitement. Really. How many people at Heinz have the vocal chords to wail that long?
It's definatley a combination of reasons. The PA track. Commerical breaks. The open stadium. But this season I felt it was the weather more than anything else. It's pretty damn loud in there every season when you take into consideration the reasons you mentioned in your above post, but it seems like every single regular season home game this year it has been cold, windy and very damp. Example, I couldn't count how many people I saw during our last home game simply sitting still while wrapped up in blankets because they did not want to move or expose themselves.

Like I said, it's a little different when you reside in a hot state or are sitting in a warm house or bar.

Last edited by 83-Steelers-43; 12-31-2007 at 04:16 PM.
83-Steelers-43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 04:34 PM   #10
eafratitpm3
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 1192

I think it has to do with all these season ticket holders, their too spoiled. There shouldn't be a fans sitting down the whole game Saturday night. Heinz should be rocking. I went to the AFC Championship game in Denver two years ago and I think I sat down for 5 minutes the whole game. I challenge every so called Steeler fan that is going to the game this saturday night to encourage other fans in the Stadium to stand up and cheer as loud as you can on every defesive play.
eafratitpm3 is offline   Reply With Quote