Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 12-31-2007, 10:34 PM   #1
Stlr4ever
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 7925
Default Are we a finesse team now?

Whatever happened to the hard-hitting Steelers that beat up on the Seahawks in the process of winning 21-0? I strongly feel like our team (offense or defense) is not playing the 'Steelers type' of football. Did you guys see the Colts-Titans game? That was one game of hard knocks. The Colts defensive playing were putting on some bone-jarring hits. I am not implying that brute force alone can win us games. But we need to see that aspect of the game. Our DL and OL are getting dominated in the trenches. We have seen the domino effect of that. Tomlin talks tough but the players are simply not playing tough. May be he should get into players faces like Chuck Noll and Cowher did. Remember the way Chuck used to chew out Terry on the sideline and the Jaw admonishing players?
Stlr4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 10:38 PM   #2
stillers4me
Living Legend

Member Number: 2656
Default Re: Are we a finesse team now?

I wouldn't want to be on the receiving side of Tomlin's displeasure.
stillers4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 10:40 PM   #3
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984
Thanked 1,410 Times in 511 Posts

So, we completely changed our team philosophy in the space of about 2 and 1/2 months since the Squawks game? No. The Cheatriots - THAT is a finesse team.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 10:56 PM   #4
Rhee Rhee
Head Coach

Member Number: 7579

i think since jerome our running game has lost its identity... dont get me wrong willie parker is our Feature back and i trust him to carry the load... its just that he's not built to play steelers football... which is run up the middle stiff arm as many people and get a first down my dragging 3 or 4 defenders... willie should stay with bouncing outside... bursting for a 60-70 yard run...
Old 12-31-2007, 11:03 PM   #5
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhee Rhee View Post
i think since jerome our running game has lost its identity... dont get me wrong willie parker is our Feature back and i trust him to carry the load... its just that he's not built to play steelers football... which is run up the middle stiff arm as many people and get a first down my dragging 3 or 4 defenders... willie should stay with bouncing outside... bursting for a 60-70 yard run...
So, the fact that Willie isn't the Bus explains our defense forgetting how to tackle over the last month or so? Wrong. Also, he was leading the league in rushing for most of the season before he broke his leg on his first carry against the Rams, and leading the league in rushing is something the Bus never accomplished. Not too shabby for a RB that "isn't built to play Steelers football," huh? The Bus is gone, and he's not coming back. Please let him go already.

Last edited by fansince'76; 12-31-2007 at 11:15 PM.
Old 12-31-2007, 11:13 PM   #6
eafratitpm3
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 1192

It seems like the only person on the D with any emotion right now is Carter. He will come up and hit you in the mouth and then get excited. Even after he caused that fumble it seemed like he was the only one that got excited. We need to start being the aggressor both on offense and defense. It seems like we are waiting to get hit in the mouth instead of delivering the blow.
eafratitpm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 11:18 PM   #7
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by eafratitpm3 View Post
It seems like the only person on the D with any emotion right now is Carter. He will come up and hit you in the mouth and then get excited. Even after he caused that fumble it seemed like he was the only one that got excited. We need to start being the aggressor both on offense and defense. It seems like we are waiting to get hit in the mouth instead of delivering the blow.
So Carter should have gotten team MVP this season instead of Silverback?
Old 12-31-2007, 11:32 PM   #8
Steel Warrior
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 2771
My Mood: Shocked

We are what we are. Can't stop the run anymore, let's go with 8 in the box, scrap a safety but make Troy play pure safety. Can't run anymore, no big deal, we've got to go with 4 out on every play. If we try to press the run against them or try to stop them with cover 2, we will probably lose. We have to force them to pass. We have got to go PRP, not RRP, if we want to win this game.
Steel Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 11:35 PM   #9
eafratitpm3
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 1192

Key words "right now". The old Steeler D would fly to the ball and deliver a bone chilling hit, teams were afraid to play the steelers. This past month our D is the laughing stock of the league, it's down right embarassing. They need to get that swagger back and fly to the football. The second half of the season tha tackling has been sub par at best. The arm tackling/whiffs that our LB's have had in the second half of the season are unexceptable. It seems like after every loss that Tomlin says we hvae to get back to basics but the same stupid mistakes and missed tackling haunts us.
eafratitpm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 11:35 PM   #10
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 4,301 Times in 1,828 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
So, the fact that Willie isn't the Bus explains our defense forgetting how to tackle over the last month or so? Wrong. Also, he was leading the league in rushing for most of the season before he broke his leg on his first carry against the Rams, and leading the league in rushing is something the Bus never accomplished. Not too shabby for a RB that "isn't built to play Steelers football," huh? The Bus is gone, and he's not coming back. Please let him go already.
3rd down on the 1......fade pattern....4 and 1....wide reciever screen + 250 lb running back = a team with no identity.

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote