Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 01-01-2008, 08:01 AM   #1
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413
Default Steelers Still Finish With #1 Defense

Any of you as shocked as I am? I think it's pretty obvious that the D's stellar play in the first half of the season played a HUGE part in the Steelers retaining that #1 spot.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08001/845806-66.stm

Shocker: Steelers finish with top defense

Tuesday, January 01, 2008
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Jaguars running back Fred Taylor ran for 147 yards and a touchdown against the Steelers Dec. 16 at Heinz Field.The final numbers have been tallied and a new champion has been crowned -- the Steelers defense finished atop the National Football League for 2007.

Now that defense has a more difficult job -- go out and prove they're not mere paper champions Saturday night against the Jacksonville Jaguars. Because anyone who saw the Jaguars shred that defense on the ground Dec. 16 would not dare declare it the best in the NFL.

The Jaguars ran for 224 yards with Fred Taylor piling up 147, both Heinz Field records for an opponent, in a 29-22 Jacksonville victory.

"They got us pretty good," linebacker James Farrior said. "But we're going to be ready this time. Hopefully, it won't go the same way. They should be coming here with a lot of confidence. They beat us and they beat us convincingly."

That's happened a lot lately. The Steelers have lost three of their past four games and surrendered an average of 28.5 points in those final four.

The No. 1 defense in the NFL has been leaking yards and points lately, and making people wonder if their stats weren't built against early creampuffs and before defensive end Aaron Smith was knocked out for the season Dec. 9 during a 34-13 thumping in New England.

"We need to get back to smashing the run," defensive end Brett Keisel said. "That's what we do best. We haven't shut down an opponent's running game in the past few weeks, but we have to start again on Saturday."

The Steelers defense ranked third against the run in the NFL by allowing an average of 89.9 yards per game and was third in pass defense, allowing 176.5 per game.

That shows balance and domination ... on paper.

"That's what we do, stop the run, and we haven't been doing that the last couple of weeks," safety Tyrone Carter said Sunday in the Steelers locker room after a couple of no-name Baltimore backs ran over them again. "Right now, it's over, it's new.

"If you ain't ready to play in the playoffs, you don't belong in here. We have great character on this team. I know we're going to be ready for Jacksonville."

The Jaguars are an early 2-point favorite to win. One thing the Steelers do have going for them is history. No opponent has beaten the Steelers twice in Pittsburgh in the same year in the club's 74 previous seasons.

Jacksonville will try to become the first, and no Steelers player thought the Jaguars would try anything different than they did Dec. 16 in Heinz Field.

"No, no, why would they do that?" linebacker Larry Foote responded, confused at the question. "They ran successfully on us -- why change?"

Some teams have been known to do it as a surprise tactic. The Steelers, for example, went into Indianapolis two years ago for a playoff game with virtually everyone, including the Colts, expecting them to run and keep the ball away from Peyton Manning. Instead, Ben Roethlisberger threw often in the first half, they jumped out to a lead and went on to an upset victory.

So what if Taylor ran for 147 and Maurice Jones-Drew tossed in another 69. No?

"What's the saying?" Carter asked. "If it works, keep going. They don't have anything to fix. They killed us with it.

"It's a copycat league. They're going to go back and see the things they had success with and see if we correct them. If we don't correct them, they're going to kill us and that's the bottom line."

The Steelers have lost two starting defensive players since they were stuffing running backs -- Smith and free safety Ryan Clark. Strong safety Troy Polamalu has missed a handful of games and also played through rib and knee injuries. Otherwise, the starters on defense have remained relatively healthy.

"I have a lot of confidence in this defense," said Farrior, its captain. "I know these guys, we know how to play and we know how to play well."

Saturday, they get another chance to show they can do it, particularly against the run.

"That's the key to victory," Foote said. "That's what they do and as a linebacker, I'm geeked up for that -- a playoff game, Saturday night in Heinz Field.

"Knowing they're going to come here and run it, what more could you wish for?"

NFL total defense

Final regular season statistics - Top 5

Rank/Team
Yards per game

1. Steelers

2. Tampa Bay Buccaneers

3. Indianapolis Colts

4. New England Patriots

5. Tennessee Titans

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 08:11 AM   #2
bw87a
Water Boy

Member Number: 6969
Default Re: Steelers Still Finish With #1 Defense

i'm very surprised. and yes, i would agree it's evident that our play at the beginning of the season kept us afloat with this statistic. now let's stop the jax run and win this next game.
Old 01-01-2008, 08:13 AM   #3
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 7,207 Times in 3,233 Posts

A real life example of the adage that there are lies, damned lies, and statistics.

Would be interesting to read where this defense ranked statistically for the period of week 10 through 16 - my bet is it might not crack the top 10.
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 08:15 AM   #4
Jeremy
Banned

Member Number: 2579

#1............on paper.
Jeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 08:22 AM   #5
HometownGal
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
A real life example of the adage that there are lies, damned lies, and statistics.

Would be interesting to read where this defense ranked statistically for the period of week 10 through 16 - my bet is it might not crack the top 10.
I'd have to agree with you there, Dan.

The Anti-Wahoo
Old 01-01-2008, 08:26 AM   #6
Jeremy
Banned

Member Number: 2579

What's really interested is that the defense got a lot worse when Troy went down with his various injuries. Yes he's a Pro Bowler, but the Steelers missed his presence big time the last part of the season. If anything gives me hope for Jacksonville, it's that Troy will be playing. It might hide how bad the corners have been playing recently.
Jeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 09:01 AM   #7
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
What's really interested is that the defense got a lot worse when Troy went down with his various injuries. Yes he's a Pro Bowler, but the Steelers missed his presence big time the last part of the season.
Agreed - I think the losses of Ryan Clark and Aaron Smith have hurt very badly as well.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 09:22 AM   #8
Edman
Living Legend

Member Number: 3261
My Mood: Brooding

Number 1 Defense my foot. I find it hard to believe. No Defense has been playing worse than ours in the past month. NONE.
Edman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 10:12 AM   #9
HometownGal
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edman View Post
Number 1 Defense my foot. I find it hard to believe. No Defense has been playing worse than ours in the past month. NONE.
Statistically (on paper), they are ranked #1 overall, but I agree - they sure haven't played like a #1 D in the past 5 weeks or so. I attribute some of their decline to the injuries that unit has suffered, particularly the HUGE loss of Aaron Smith, but I can't deny that their poor execution and gap coverage has hurt them as well. Their outstanding performance in the first half of the season is what kept them at #1, no doubt about it.

The Anti-Wahoo
Old 01-01-2008, 10:26 AM   #10
stillers4me
Living Legend

Member Number: 2656

Hopefully, we'll build on this in the offseason......and whoa baby....lookout!
stillers4me is offline   Reply With Quote