Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 01-01-2008, 02:42 PM   #1
jjpro11
Living Legend

Member Number: 3559
Default Your general feelings heading into the playoffs

i dont live in pittsburgh.. so i cant get a good read on this.. but what is everyones feeling heading into the playoffs? i am led to believe that there isnt near the amount of hope there has been in recent playoff runs.

i hate to admit it myself, but i find myself less enthused than i have ever been heading into the playoffs. there are a number of reasons for this.. poor overall play heading into the playoffs, too many injuries, we recently got destroyed by jacksonville, we recently got destroyed by new england.. i just cant remember a team backing into the playoffs like this and making it to the super bowl. dont get me wrong, im still as excited as i have been all season for saturday.
jjpro11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 02:47 PM   #2
Jeremy
Banned

Member Number: 2579
Default Re: Your general feelings heading into the playoffs

This is one of those rare spots where I'll suspend my pessimism and answer you.

1. The Steelers did not get destroyed by Jacksonville. They did get destroyed by New England, but they basically shut it down in the second half. Now whether that was a coaching decision or the players just not playing well is a matter of opinion.

2. Injuries will play a role, but not as much as people think. Parker's injury will force some more passing, and that hasn't been a terrible thing in the last couple of seasons.

3. Overall, the play heading in to the playoffs hasn't been as bad as people think. Jacksonville was a close game. NE was what it was. St Louis was a good game. Baltimore was what happens when three of the best players on your team take the day off. Even with Troy, Hines, and Ben sitting on the bench, they almost beat the Rats.

Overall, I think they can beat anyone right now. But anyone can beat them too. It's going to come down to how much Tomlin has matured as a coach and how motivated the players are to finish the season on a high note.
Jeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 03:07 PM   #3
cubanstogie
Head Coach

Member Number: 3082

I don't see how anyone can be all that positive going into playoffs. We have not played well lately, especially defense and special teams, and have a ton of injuries. But we are hosting a playoff game so things could be worse. We could be sitting at home without the excitment of knowing we have atleast one post season game. I am fired up. We are coming off the same kind of loss Jax is. Resting QB and other 1st stringers and losing to inferior team. No advantage there for either team. I highly doubt they run for 260 yds against us again. We have playoff experience and we are at home. I see us winning this game. Lebeau will come up with something to slow the running game. They have no big play receivers and Garrard will dink and dump the ball off. I am not worried about the big play from passing game. So if we can slow the run, I don't think we will stymie them Taylor always has success against us, we should win the game. We can score on them, and I think we need to go for the throat when we are on offense. If we can get ahead we will win. If we do win a big game on Saturday It could give us some much needed momentum and some confidence as well for a battle against the Pats. Any given sunday.
cubanstogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 03:35 PM   #4
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 8,487 Times in 3,732 Posts

I preface this with the observation that one mark of a very good coach is having your team win a playoff game you are expected to lose (Cowher did not pull that off until 2005), but as someone who has followed the Steelers since the late 1960s I have not had lower expectations going into a playoff game since the 1983 season ended with a blowout loss to the LA Raiders in the 1 year Cliff Stoudt era.

I have some hope of a victory only because the game is at home and Ben is having an excellent season
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 03:35 PM   #5
Steeler in Carolina
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 1634

I feel we will take Jacksonville down this weekend, but honestly, I don't know if anyone will beat New England.
Steeler in Carolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 03:39 PM   #6
stillers4me
Living Legend

Member Number: 2656

All I know is I would feel alot better if all our starters were relatively healthy and able to be on the field.

That being said..................................
stillers4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 03:55 PM   #7
sleasy_beaver
Water Boy

Member Number: 6972

well I'll tell ya what I think because I'm ****in Drunk Right now... It's been awhile sence I've seen teams run on us like they have in the past few weeks... that is a concern for me.... I feel we can be dangerous on offence...If ben does'nt have to run for his life almost every frickin pass play. I know coach T. Is a laid back calm-type coach. just like knoll and dungy "But"....Those coaches always seem to get thier teams fired up and ready to kill somthing on sundays....This steeler team just seems to go through the motions with a lack-luster preformance.....WITHOUT ANY ****IN EMOTION ...I'm just not used to watching the steelers play like..........The dolphins...... P.S. I spell like we tackle.......Bad & Sloppy
sleasy_beaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 04:36 PM   #8
nojobny
Team Captain
Supporter

Member Number: 5924

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeler in Carolina View Post
I feel we will take Jacksonville down this weekend, but honestly, I don't know if anyone will beat New England.
That's kinda the way I've been feeling. Maybe we can get Kimo back for the playoffs to work on Brady's ACL.
Old 01-01-2008, 04:49 PM   #9
stillers4me
Living Legend

Member Number: 2656

Quote:
Originally Posted by nojobny View Post
That's kinda the way I've been feeling. Maybe we can get Kimo back for the playoffs to work on Brady's ACL.
Just have James Harrison poke him in the eye. That's obviously allowed in the NFL.

stillers4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 04:58 PM   #10
BlastFurnace
Living Legend

Member Number: 6321

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
I preface this with the observation that one mark of a very good coach is having your team win a playoff game you are expected to lose (Cowher did not pull that off until 2005), but as someone who has followed the Steelers since the late 1960s I have not had lower expectations going into a playoff game since the 1983 season ended with a blowout loss to the LA Raiders in the 1 year Cliff Stoudt era.

I have some hope of a victory only because the game is at home and Ben is having an excellent season
You said exactly what I am feeling. I have followed this team since 1975-76, and every year, other than 1983 and this season, I had serious hope that this team could catch fire and make a run. We are just too beat up this season to do that. The 1983 team, with Stoudt, Sweeney, Pollard, Wayne Capers, etc.....was perhaps the worst playoff team we have ever fielded. Although...I would take a Frank Pollard on this team to play RB while Willie is out.

This weekend is our Bowl Game if you want to call it that. Whoever wins this weekend will just be a scrimmage for the Patriots. I hate them too, but they have a great team, are fortunate in that they are very healthy, and are hungry to be undefeated.

This season has been fun though.
BlastFurnace is offline   Reply With Quote