Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 01-02-2008, 01:55 PM   #1
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009
Default Palmer suggests coaching changes needed

Palmer suggests coaching changes needed; Lewis defends assistants
ESPN.com news services
Updated: January 1, 2008, 6:42 PM ET

CINCINNATI -- For the first time under coach Marvin Lewis, the Bengals took a big step backward. Their 7-9 finish was a stark reminder that there are long-standing problems with the franchise that haven't been resolved.

Lewis is safe, but change could be coming to the coaching staff. The defense again finished near the bottom of the league, a common occurrence during Lewis' five seasons. The offense went stale, scoring fewer than 20 points in four of the last five games.

Asked on Monday whether he thought the current coaching staff could take this team to the next level, quarterback Carson Palmer said, "I don't think so."

But Palmer said it's not his call to make.

"If I'm asked my opinion, I'll be more than happy to give it," Palmer said, according to the team's Web site. "I haven't been. This isn't my team. I'm the quarterback. If I can help in any way, I'd love to. I think I can be a valuable help and if a situation comes up, I'll help out."

Lewis acknowledged that the team went stale, but defended his assistant coaches.

"I'm very pleased with what our coaches have done this year," Lewis said. "They went through some trying times with new players and injuries and so forth, so it's very difficult. Each and every week, you're looking at a different group of guys and moving guys from position to position. I thought they handled that very well."

The front office can't avoid the introspection. Palmer and others complained about the poor quality of the team's grass practice field and the lack of a covered facility for when the weather turns nasty.

When the Bengals moved into Paul Brown Stadium before the 2000 season, ownership had the option of covering a practice field at its expense. There is still no covered field, which is a drawback in recruiting free agents.

The lack of a general manager also came under scrutiny when the team struggled to replace injured players. Decisions are made in a group setting, with owner Mike Brown having the final say. Lewis won't talk whether change is needed in the front office operations.

Players assume there will be more significant changes this offseason, given the way they underachieved as a group.

"This year has been an eye-opener for everybody," receiver T.J. Houshmandzadeh said. "We expected, worst-case scenario, that we were going into the playoffs as a wild card. It kind of wakes everybody up, myself included."

Houshmandzadeh tied for the league lead in catches, receiver Chad Johnson set a club record with 1,440 yards, and Palmer set another club record by throwing for 4,131 yards.

Didn't matter. The Bengals still finished below .500 against a schedule that was as favorable as any in recent years. They faced only four playoff teams this season, including Pittsburgh twice, but scuttled their chances by losing six of their first eight games.

"A lot of guys weren't attuned to winning," safety Dexter Jackson said. "They were attuned to getting a certain amount of yards or a certain amount of this instead of winning the game."

Defensive end Justin Smith said the same thing: The locker room has some players who were more interested in themselves than the outcome. At times, they played like a team that wasn't very focused on what had to be done.

So many things went into the 7-9 record. So many things have to change.

"I thought about that a lot, man," Houshmandzadeh said. "It's almost like trying to do a Rubik's Cube."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3176249
Old 01-02-2008, 01:59 PM   #2
Jeremy
Banned

Member Number: 2579
Default Re: Palmer suggests coaching changes needed

Is it any wonder they have such a terrible reputation in NFL circles? No indoor practice facility? That's something college coaches complain about, it shouldn't be something that NFL players have to deal with. If Mike Brown wants to keep running his team like an AFL team, they'll never be anything more than a side show.
Jeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 02:03 PM   #3
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

I love how in the entire article Lewis does not share in the blame. Sure, he sticks up for his ACs, but he will not take any blame. He never does. Just another reason why that organization is a joke. Keep up the good work Marvin.

FWIW, I can't count how many times Tomlin put the blame on himself this year.
Old 01-02-2008, 02:05 PM   #4
Jeremy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83-Steelers-43 View Post
I love how in the entire article Lewis does not share in the blame. Sure, he sticks up for his ACs, but he will not take any blame. He never does. Just another reason why that organization is a joke. Keep up the good work Marvin.
None of them do. They talk to the leaders of the team and they throw their teammates under the bus. If I was a Bengal right now, I'd be pretty pissed at Dexter Jackson and TJ. I don't care how frustrated you are, if you're a leader of a team you raise your hand in public and say it was your fault the team didn't perform up to standards. I swear that there are college teams that act more professionally than this bunch of dolts.
Old 01-02-2008, 02:06 PM   #5
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984

Quote:
"A lot of guys weren't attuned to winning," safety Dexter Jackson said. "They were attuned to getting a certain amount of yards or a certain amount of this instead of winning the game."
Gee, wonder what "guys" Jackson is talking about?
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 02:07 PM   #6
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
None of them do. They talk to the leaders of the team and they throw their teammates under the bus. If I was a Bengal right now, I'd be pretty pissed at Dexter Jackson and TJ. I don't care how frustrated you are, if you're a leader of a team you raise your hand in public and say it was your fault the team didn't perform up to standards. I swear that there are college teams that act more professionally than this bunch of dolts.
No doubt. The characters on that team are another reason..lol. There are enough reasons. IMO, at the end of the day and when all is said and done, it's up to the HC to keep his team under control. It's part of coaching and apparently a skill that Marvin Lewis lacks. Then again, I keep remembering his excuse making for his own players, so I'm taking into consideration what type of individual I'm reading about here.

Hell, I hope they keep him forever.
Old 01-02-2008, 02:21 PM   #7
RoethlisBURGHer
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 370

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83-Steelers-43 View Post
Hell, I hope they keep him forever.
As long as he can get them back to 8-8 (a highly successful season in Bengal land), he will be kept forever.

Also, I didn't realize 11-5 to 8-8 wasn't a huge step back.

Congrats to the 2009 Stanley Cup Champion Pittsburgh Penguins
RoethlisBURGHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 02:24 PM   #8
steelpride12
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 5713

Palmer is always blaming other people for their mistakes i don't care if he is right or night stop being such a baby! WAAAAAAAAA!
steelpride12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 02:26 PM   #9
Jeremy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelpride12 View Post
Palmer is always blaming other people for their mistakes i don't care if he is right or night stop being such a baby! WAAAAAAAAA!
I can't blame him. His college team was probably better than his pro team. It's hard to go from first class to low class and not be a little angry about the situation.
Old 01-02-2008, 02:26 PM   #10
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelpride12 View Post
That team's entire culture is built on zero accountability and passing the buck.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote