Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 01-02-2008, 04:14 PM   #1
Dynasty
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 2396
Default Matt Mosley Dissing Ben

This is from his December 31st post on his blog, Hashmarks...
http://myespn.go.com/blogs/hashmarks...-offenses.html

Scouts Inc. QB ratings:Patriots, Colts, Steelers, Cowboys, Packers, Seahawks, Jaguars, Buccaneers, Chargers, Giants, Redskins, Titans
Hash's take: My first thought was how profoundly sad it is that a team led by journeyman Todd Collins would be ranked ahead of Vince Young. But I'm not sure I disagree. From week to week, you're not sure what Young will bring to the table. Collins isn't flashy, but he's not going to make impulsive mistakes and he's accurate. At this point, he gives Washington a better chance to win in the playoffs than Jason Campbell.
Now, let's address the Steelers being listed at No. 3. I realize that Ben Roethlisberger has had an excellent season, but I would put Favre and Romo ahead of him. Favre has had a better season, and has more playoff experience. Romo has had a better season than either Favre or Big Ben, and can make more plays with his legs than either player.

This is my rebuttal that I posted as a comment:

Mosley, how do you figure that Romo has had a better season than Ben Roethlisberger?
Ben has a higher passer rating, 8 less INTs, more yards per attempt, and a higher completion percentage. I'm a Steelers fan, but I can admit that Dallas has a better offense than my team. The offensive line, specifically, is offensive for the Steelers. Big Ben was sacked more than twice as much as Romo. (49 to 24) Ben did better with less than Tony Romo. If you put Roethlisberger into Dallas's offense, he would have a better year than Romo has with the exact same situations, except Dallas would have at least 1 mroe win. Ben has kept the Steelers in games all year, whereas Romo has not had to do that for the 'Boys. He has also contributed negatively (BIlls game), where Roethlisberger has never had any truly bad games this year.
Also, he has only 4 less TDs, and a TD % that is a full percentage point higher than Romo's. (And he has Owens, Crayton, Witten, and good pass-catching RBs)
Anyway, I would love to see you back up your statement that Romo can make more plays with his legs than Ben, who would be sacked close to twice as much as he already has if not for his innate ability to avoid sacks. The media is surely biased towards Romo, especially you, being from Dallas, but taking into consideration how much better Romo's offense is, there is no reasonable argument for saying he had a better year.
Also, Ben has more playoff experience, having carried his team to 3 road wins on the road to Super Bowl XL. All Romo has done in the playoffs is lose the game for them in Seattle last year. Winning a Super Bowl will surely help Roethlisberger's playoff confidence, whereas the fumble will hurt Romo's.
In addition, I would love to see your justification for saying that Romo makes more plays with his legs. If not for Ben's innate scrambling ability, he would have been sacked about twice as much as he already has, if not more. Ben has some good weapons on his offense, but the horrific line is holding them back. However, Romo has great weapons, as well as a great o-line.

Most of the second-to-last paragraph, and the last one got cut off in the actual post, so I retyped them here.
Old 01-02-2008, 04:19 PM   #2
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984
Default Re: Matt Mosley Dissing Ben

Quote:
Romo has had a better season than either Favre or Big Ben, and can make more plays with his legs than either player.
Yeah, he looked great throwing 5 picks against Buffalo and another 3 against the Eagles - Ben hasn't had more than 2 in a game all year. Somebody needs to put the crack pipe down and step slooowly away from it. Of course, I see "ESPN" in the URL of the blog, so it's not surprising. Those hacks are all full of shit anyway.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 04:27 PM   #3
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 5,797 Times in 2,680 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
Yeah, he looked great throwing 5 picks against Buffalo and another 3 against the Eagles - Ben hasn't had more than 2 in a game all year. Somebody needs to put the crack pipe down and step slooowly away from it. Of course, I see "ESPN" in the URL of the blog, so it's not surprising. Those hacks are all full of shit anyway.
The Worldwide Leader actually paid Ben a pretty big compliment elsewhere on the site today while taking a veiled shot at Romo:

5. Conventional wisdom: Super Bowl teams usually have franchise QBs.
Verdict: TRUE.

Plenty of teams have won championships with caretaker quarterbacks, but not so much lately. Brady, Pittsburgh's Ben Roethlisberger and the Colts' Peyton Manning have won five of seven Super Bowls this decade, though Roethlisberger struggled.

This season, the top two seeds in each conference feature quarterbacks with contracts befitting franchise players, even if Dallas Cowboys star Tony Romo has yet to win a playoff game.

Baltimore's Trent Dilfer and Tampa Bay's Brad Johnson won Super
Bowls during relatively short stints with their teams, against the broader trend.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/playof...ike&id=3177144

Nobody can deny Ben struggled in XL, but that link portrays him as a franchise QB who struggled rather than a "game manager" such as Dilfer or Johnson
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 04:50 PM   #4
Dino 6 Rings
Living Legend

Member Number: 6891

2nd year in the league, he's under the bright lights and he struggled. Yep, pretty sure you can't blame the guy for being a little deer in head lights. But considering the MVP was Hines, someone had to get him the ball the other times when it wasn't El throwing it. Ben managed the superbowl, and if not for that light flip to the right when we had the Hawks on the ropes that was picked and took back almost all the way, he'd have built confidence in the game and had a much better game statistically.

I'm still psssed he underthrew that ball...he had his man open.
Dino 6 Rings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 04:53 PM   #5
ShutDown24
Team President

Member Number: 3997

I have never seen anything by this guy before so I won't even bother reading.
Old 01-02-2008, 05:05 PM   #6
The Duke
Living Legend

Member Number: 4800

Unbelievable. People are still dissing Ben....

I love Favre, but as good as this season was for him Ben did ever better, and was also better than romo.

Romo's been a starter in the NFL for 1 and a half years and he's better than a super bowl winning QB with a 5-1 playoffs record? I don't think so. Romo's 0-1 in playoffs. Romo has TO Witten Crayton and an o line that knows how to protect the QB.

I have said it many times, Romo is good, but he's not better than Ben. at least not yet

Quote:
Of course, I see "ESPN" in the URL of the blog, so it's not surprising.
Surprising is I kinda liked this guy's writing. but now he's down there with kornheisser in my book
The Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 06:03 PM   #7
steelersfanman92
Starter

Member Number: 3372

Ben takes so much undeserved crap from the media, he does not get the respect he deserves, sure he isn't Peyton Manning but he is better than Romo, he had 8 less ints. than Romo come on.
steelersfanman92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 06:18 PM   #8
Steeldude
Living Legend

looks like a logical opinion to me. i don't see where he is dissing him. seems too many fans think BR is flawless.

basically mosley is rating the QBs like this:

brady
manning
romo
favre
BR

dallas also had a tougher schedule. i don't see what's so unreasonable about mosley's opinion.
Steeldude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 06:52 PM   #9
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984

Quote:
Originally Posted by ?teeldude View Post
looks like a logical opinion to me. i don't see where he is dissing him. seems too many fans think BR is flawless.

basically mosley is rating the QBs like this:

brady
manning
romo
favre
BR

dallas also had a tougher schedule. i don't see what's so unreasonable about mosley's opinion.
Umm, the Cowboys weren't exactly playing the powerhouses of the league week-in and week out:

Dallas' 2007 opponents:

NY Giants (10-6 - twice)
Miami (1-15)
Chicago (7-9)
St Louis (3-13)
New England (16-0)
Buffalo (7-9)
Minnesota (8-8)
Philly (8-8 - twice)
Washington (9-7 - twice)
Detroit (7-9)
Carolina (7-9)
NY Jets (4-12)
Green Bay (13-3)

Composite opponent's record: 100 - 108 (.481)

Steelers' 2007 Opponents:

Cleveland (10-6 - twice)
Buffalo (7-9)
San Fran (5-11)
Arizona (8-8)
Seattle (10-6)
Denver (7-9)
Cincy (7-9 - twice)
Baltimore (5-11 - twice)
NY Jets (4-12)
Miami (1-15)
New England (16-0)
Jacksonville (11-5)
St Louis (3-13)

Composite opponent's record: 94 - 114 (.451)

Yeah, huge disparity in the competition the teams played over the course of the year. I don't think BR is flawless, but I do think he's still better than Romo. The writer has his opinion and is entitled to it, I have my opinion and I'm entitled to it. I'm biased as a Steelers fan, sure, but I think Mr. Mosley is biased as well considering the fact that he very recently spent 7 years as a sportswriter for the Dallas Morning News before joining ESPN.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 06:57 PM   #10
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

Quote:
I see "ESPN" in the URL of the blog, so it's not surprising. Those hacks are all full of shit anyway.
Extra Special Patriots Network. That's all I needed to see.

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote