Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

LOL

Old 01-03-2008, 03:14 PM   #1
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413
Default ESPN: Wobbly Steelers Trying To Regroup Before Jags Return

A very good (but somewhat scary) read. We are one banged up team and are really going to have our work cut out for us against the Jags on Saturday. Reality bites.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/playof...ohn&id=3177689

Wobbly Steelers trying to regroup before Jags' return
By John Clayton

PITTSBURGH -- His arm in a sling because of a torn biceps injury, Aaron Smith walked through the Pittsburgh Steelers' offices Monday accompanied by his two children. Steelers execs who spotted him shook their heads.

They knew the defensive end's value to the Steelers defense before his season-ending injury. Without him, the Steelers don't look like the Steelers. In the team's final three regular-season games the Steelers' defense surrendered averages of 165 rushing yards and 28 points. The Steelers were so good with Smith that they managed to finish as the league's No. 1 defense despite the collapse.

Saturday night's AFC playoff game against the Jacksonville Jaguars is the team's first return to Heinz Field since a 29-22 loss to the Jaguars in which they gave up an unprecedented 224 years on the ground. The defense known for preventing 100-yard rushing games at Heinz Field just spent two weeks on the road trying to adjust to the loss of Smith. Now, it has until Saturday night to find answers or slip into the offseason.

"I know it's something that as long as I've been here I've never seen happen here," defensive end Brett Keisel said of the Jaguars' rushing success.

"Guys are trying to do too much. We aren't staying in our gaps. We'll be OK. Aaron is such a good player. He's so underrated in this league in my opinion. He definitely makes a difference when he's out there."

Life without Smith -- who is being replaced by the combination of Nick Eason and Travis Kirschke -- isn't the only Steelers' concern:

? They lost their main running threat who sets up their play-action game when halfback Willie Parker broke his leg Dec. 20 in St. Louis. Najeh Davenport is a back built in the mold of Jerome Bettis, but he isn't going to produce long runs. With Parker in the lineup, the Steelers ground game was far more explosive; he produced 13 runs of 20 yards or more.

? The offensive line is down to its third left tackle, Trai Essex. Starting left tackle Marvel Smith underwent back surgery last week. His earliest possible return would be an AFC Championship Game, but that might be an optimistic forecast. Max Starks, the former starting right tackle, suffered a season-ending knee injury Sunday in Baltimore. Essex will be making his first start against the Jaguars.

? Depth will be at a premium because of other injuries. Backup cornerback Bryant McFadden reinjured his ankle in the Ravens game. Safety Troy Polamalu has inflammation in his knee, an injury that's bothered him all year. He will be limited in practice early this week. Cornerback Deshea Townsend will be limited because of foot discomfort. Wide receiver Hines Ward has a sore knee. Linebacker Clint Kriewaldt is headed to the injured reserve list. Cornerback-kick-returner Allen Rossum has a hamstring injury.

A month ago, the Steelers appeared to move ahead of the Colts as the AFC possible No. 2 seed. Since then, they've been in a rapid decline because of injuries. Within the first few minutes of Mike Tomlin's postgame news conference following the loss to Baltimore, Tomlin embraced the playoffs by saying "Ready or not, here we come."

Tomlin made Monday a mental day for the Steelers. They met and watched tape. Tuesday was a day off. The Steelers returned to the practice field Wednesday to try to regain their persona. Can the Steelers still be the Steelers despite the loss of their best defensive end, two tackles and a running back who led the league in rushing before breaking his leg?

The first priority is defense. Defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau will spend the week making sure every defender stays in their gaps. The Steelers' 3-4 scheme is known for the gap integrity of the front seven. Smith's injury came the week before the Jaguars game.

"We're upset about the last couple of weeks,"' Keisel said. "We weren't staying in our gaps. Guys were trying to do too much and teams are gashing us."

Tomlin spoke Tuesday of better tackling and better execution.

"I don't know if people have blocked us differently," Tomlin told reporters Tuesday when asked if teams are game planning differently with Smith out for the season. "They have blocked us effectively. We have to combat that with quality play. We have to shed blocks, beat tackles, run to the football and, when you get there, tackle."

Players expect coaches to harangue them this week.

"We need it, we need to get refocused and figure out the best way to solve all these problems,'' Keisel said. "If we're not shutting running teams down, we're going to be watching in the playoffs. We have very good coaches here. They are very good at figuring out what's going on and getting things adjusted."

On offense, the team has to rally around Ben Roethlisberger. Moving the ball through the air could be difficult, though. The Jaguars won't honor play-action fakes as much with Parker out of the lineup.

Now, down two left tackles, it's going to be harder for the Steelers to block the pass rush conventionally. Tomlin is concerned the Steelers are losing their swagger.

"That's a concern," he told reporters Tuesday. "A lot of things are of concern. I tend to take the approach of what lies ahead. What lies ahead is an enormous playoff game versus a great football team at our place. So that is our focus. We have to prepare ourselves. We have some guys that understand the gravity of the moment."

Keisel expects a very physical game.

"I'm just healing up now from the last game against Jacksonville," Keisel said. "This will be very physical."

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 03:37 PM   #2
Edman
Living Legend

Member Number: 3261
My Mood: Brooding
Default Re: ESPN: Wobbly Steelers Trying To Regroup Before Jags Return

What else is new? It's been known for quite a few days now that the Steelers are wounded. VERY wounded. I'm surprised that they aren't bigger underdogs.

The Jags are the easy pick to win this game, and I can't blame those who pick them.
Edman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 04:22 PM   #3
19ward86
Head Coach

Member Number: 2717

something i noticed is that the ravens, rams, and jags all ran most of their plays to the right side. that side which is the LE position is where aaron smith usually takes a squat at. now occupied by travis kershkey(idk how to spell it but that is how it is pronounced), anywho, most of these teams success running the ball has been when they either run to the right or when we load up the left side(which would be their right side) and they run to the left(which is our right) so we always have gaps, i also noticed that we are extremely thin at the end position and the free agent market seems like the only place to get a solid backup.
Old 01-03-2008, 04:52 PM   #4
Elvis
Banned

Member Number: 2390

Where do you really think that the Steelers can get a free agent dependable DE this time in the season? These backups on the D Line are supposed to be just like any other backup to whatever position there at... they are supposed to be ready to play at any time's notice. I think that we are in a lot of deep crap with this Jags team coming in here this weekend. But does that mean I wont be right here in front of my tv rooting for the greatest franchise in the NFL?
NO WAY BABY!!!!
I am No Bandwagoner....
I am in this thing with My Steelers Until My God Above Takes Me Out of This Ole' World... Amen?

Elvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 05:15 PM   #5
memphissteelergirl
Head Coach

Member Number: 2648

Amen, Elvis!!

Old 01-03-2008, 05:54 PM   #6
LVSteelersfan
Living Legend

Member Number: 6620
My Mood: Yeehaw

Watch out. The Steelers are like a wounded tiger. Don't corner us or we will run over you and bite your head off. I am not comfortable with the way things have been going. I will root for the Steelers to the end, but if they lose, I will be happy that they had a successful season in a rebuilding year. We still have a good core of players, so the rebuilding needs to be concentrated on the O-line and D-lines. At least we don't have to rebuild the whole team like the Dolphins do.

COACH - Breakfast of Champions !!!
LVSteelersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 06:04 PM   #7
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVSteelersfan View Post
I will root for the Steelers to the end, but if they lose, I will be happy that they had a successful season in a rebuilding year. We still have a good core of players, so the rebuilding needs to be concentrated on the O-line and D-lines. At least we don't have to rebuild the whole team like the Dolphins do.
Darned tootin'!

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 06:15 PM   #8
steelpride12
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 5713

Im here for my Steelers till the end. I have all the confidence we can win this game and don't have the sight of the Jags coming to our house twice and beating us def. during playoff time which is big in Steel town.
I am angry about what they said on the news about to excitement or joy in Pittsburgh for the game because everyone knows were gonna lose and there is no point and one man summed it all up.....those people are all band wagoners and will only jump on if we win.
Come on steel city rise up and lets show out Steeler pride and injuries or not were a threat to be recoded with!
Go Steelers i will always believe!
steelpride12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 09:53 PM   #9
SteelDogFan
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 5886

I understand the injury thing and I understand the fact that because Smith is gone they are trying to hard and messing up gap assignments.

But I believe we have all seen at times the defense looks a little un-inspired, I still remember John Madden in the denver game saying the The Steelers were not playing fast, that they looked as if they were not sluggish or something to that effect. He had a hint of whats wrong with the Steelers their not playing Steelers ball.

I want to see the fire in the second half of the first Jags game in the first half of this one. That is what is going to win this game.

I want Steelers..... flat out, smash your face, this is Steelers Country, Terrible Towell waving, peel your cap, run the ball down your throat, so what its a personal foul, 3 for 12 on 3rd down, hes out of the game, did you see that hit, and the Steelers were the underdog?, that will leave a mark, what a d-kleeter, lets hope hes ok, they may go back to the Superbowl Pittsburgh Steelers Football!!!!!!!
Old 01-04-2008, 10:05 AM   #10
memphissteelergirl
Head Coach

Member Number: 2648

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelDogFan View Post
I
I want Steelers..... flat out, smash your face, this is Steelers Country, Terrible Towell waving, peel your cap, run the ball down your throat, so what its a personal foul, 3 for 12 on 3rd down, hes out of the game, did you see that hit, and the Steelers were the underdog?, that will leave a mark, what a d-kleeter, lets hope hes ok, they may go back to the Superbowl Pittsburgh Steelers Football!!!!!!!

LOL! Yeah! Love it!!