Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 01-04-2008, 05:35 AM   #11
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363
Default Re: Faneca may be playing last Steelers game

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjpro11 View Post
i'd like to see him go to the nfc is he leaves.
I listen to ESPN out of Chicago..and the Bears are VERY interested in him!...They mention him in the same breath as trying to get McNabb at QB and/or Michael Turner at RB.
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 07:27 AM   #12
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 7,285 Times in 3,266 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
They way he has played this year, I don't think he is a real loss at all. He has been used a number of time. Looked lost on schemes... allowing players to blow by him... and then double-teaming other players. Now, that would be scheme... except that your DB's shouldn't be running out for swing passes at the same time.
The party line is he has tried to cover for Mahan - center has been a huge problem so that might explain some of the times Faneca has ben beaten this season.

The Steelers obviously decided he is not worth a long term contract at the market rate for top level guards - I have no clue as to whether that is because they had to spend money elsewhere or saw a significant drop off in his level of play. Another factor might be that Faneca was in no mood to negotiate and figured the team he had played for was pretty much gone after his comfort zone was blown up with the departures of Cowher, Whiz & Grimm

I do know that with the other problems on the OL this is a bad time to be losing Faneca even with his diminished playing level.

IMO 2008 is going to be a step back for the Steelers
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 07:47 AM   #13
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
They way he has played this year, I don't think he is a real loss at all. He has been used a number of time. Looked lost on schemes... allowing players to blow by him... and then double-teaming other players. Now, that would be scheme... except that your DB's shouldn't be running out for swing passes at the same time.
Spot on Father.

Faneca will go down as one of the best guards in history and I wish him well. Someone will pay him what he wants (though with him getting "up in years" as far as OL are concerned, I don't think he's worth that kind of moola) and hey - more power to him if he can snag that kind of cash.

Thanks for the great seasons in the black and gold, Alan, and good luck to ya.

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 12:02 PM   #14
klick81
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 1396

He's been a great Steeler. Just like Porter, I wish they would be able to re-sign him. But hey, you can't resign everyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hines Ward
What are you going to say, I was too rough?
klick81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 12:09 PM   #15
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 5008

I think the Steelers need to consider the possibility of putting the Franchise Tag on Faneca. I know this is not what the Steelers normally do, and have not done since tagging Jason Gildon back in 2001(?). But the O-Line is not good now. I just can not imagine how bad it could be next year with no Faneca, and no viable replacement. I agree that Faneca's game has slipped some, but he is still better than 75% of the guards in the NFL, and just as good, if not better than the three guards (Steinbach, Davis, Dockery) who signed big deals last offseason. Obviously Faneca would not be a real happy camper if the Steelers did tag him, but that is part of the agreement that his union has agreed upon. Too bad, too sad! As for the Steelers it will give them time to draft and groom a successor, without having to make a long term financial commitment to an aging player. The next question would be, could the Steelers do this and maintain enough cap flexability to resign Ben to a long term deal, and sign any FA and their draft picks. I do not know what the one year salary for a tagged guard would be, but per Peter King, the Steelers have 43 players under contract for next season, and are currently $18.61 million under the cap.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200.../week14/4.html

Does anybody know what the rate is for a franchised guard in the NFL next season? Anybody else think this is something the Steelers should consider?
1207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 12:21 PM   #16
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 8,182 Times in 3,487 Posts

Quote:
Does anybody know what the rate is for a franchised guard in the NFL next season? Anybody else think this is something the Steelers should consider?
you rarely see guards and centers franchised because o-linemen are lumped together (OT=OG=C).

to franchise a center, you have to pay them the average salaries of the top 5 left tackles in the game (i dont think any center is making much more than $5 mil/year).

faneca would cost about what walter jones, j. ogden, o. pace etc. cost. about 8 mil for 1 year. this is a main reason seattle didnt want to use the franchise tag on hutchinson. even though they miscalculated the market, they felt they couldnt be paying their OG more than their potentially HOF LT.
Old 01-04-2008, 12:34 PM   #17
7/39/43
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 6289

great player sad to lose but signing Ben is a bigger priority than Faneca, ole Keomotu(sp?) I think will hold his own lord knows he is big enough
Old 01-04-2008, 12:35 PM   #18
lilyoder6
locked behind Xanax bars

Member Number: 2568

idk.. either way both parties aren't going to be happy.. unless some how they can find a neutral area..

Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy ~ Ben Franklin
Freedom: some use it, Everyone enjoys it, A few defend it.
lilyoder6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 01:03 PM   #19
memphissteelergirl
Head Coach

Member Number: 2648

Quote:
Originally Posted by HometownGal View Post
Spot on Father.

Faneca will go down as one of the best guards in history and I wish him well. Someone will pay him what he wants (though with him getting "up in years" as far as OL are concerned, I don't think he's worth that kind of moola) and hey - more power to him if he can snag that kind of cash.

Thanks for the great seasons in the black and gold, Alan, and good luck to ya.

Agreed. I respected Faneca a great deal, but his bitchin' and moanin' to the press about his contract negotiations really became a sore spot with me. I don't appreciate anyone putting their business out in the street like that. Very bad form. That said though, I recognize his phenonmenal contribution to the Steelers over the years and I wish him the best in the future.
Old 01-04-2008, 01:09 PM   #20
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363

IF this is going to be his last game...put his butt at LT during a playoff primetime game!!! Make a HUGE deal about it to the press and put him in a position where he has to give 150% as a NFL audition for the other 31 teams.
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote