Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

LOL

Old 01-05-2008, 02:35 PM   #51
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 8,397 Times in 3,686 Posts
Default Re: Faneca may be playing last Steelers game

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelDogFan View Post
Here is the article;

From SteelCityInsider

As for Faneca and his perception of his Steelers career, Faneca said only two days ago: “I go with the assumption it’s over.”

He might be right, considering the Steelers normally wouldn’t pay a 31-year-old guard the exorbitant salary it’ll take to keep him. But Faneca, who made his 96th consecutive regular-season start last week and his seventh consecutive Pro Bowl three weeks ago, hasn’t shown any signs of slowing down.

And then there was this comment from Larry Zierlein earlier this week:

“I wouldn’t be surprised to see Alan finish his career as a center because he’s just so smart,” said the Steelers’ offensive line coach.

After a season of inconsistent play at that position, the Steelers would no doubt like to do with Faneca what they should’ve done to keep Rod Woodson: Offer the big contract with the caveat of the player moving to another position as he slows down.

I just hope he plays where he happy. He plowed the yard for alot of touchdowns in Steelers history.
Contrary to the popular myth, Woodson did not leave over $$$ - after his knee injury he had slowed down and Cowher wanted to move him to safety - Woodson then went to the 49ers for a 1 and done year so he could remain at CB - after confronting reality, Rod moved on to a great second leg of his career as a safety.

As for Alan's next uniform, it is touching that Faneca's wife likes Pittsburgh, but my understanding is the Fanecas do not live in Pittsburgh in the offseason, so even if there was a possibility of a "hometown discount" the Burgh is not the Faneca's "hometown." The Fanecas will be happy wherever they get the maximum payday.

The Steelers are not going to break the bank for a 31 year old guard - short term the OL will be in ruins but long term the Steelers need to worry about having $$ on hand to sign players such as Heath Miller, Holmes and #7.

Assuming Ben is not beat up beyond repair as the OL is rebuilt, saying goodbye to Alan is short-term pain but long-term gain.
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 03:07 PM   #52
VegasStlrFan
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 976

This year he has been average at best. Yes he made the Pro Bowl, but IMO that is largely do to his name and past history, not this year's work. His best years are behind him. I am also sick of hearing about his contract woes in the press. The Steelers are making another good decision in letting someone else pay a premium for a player on the back end of ther carear. If he can get a big pay day, good for him, but it will not be the straw the breaks the camels back. Ben has had people hanging on him all year, no one on the O-line is above average this year.

Personally, I think losing Porter was a much bigger loss than Faneca is going to be. Porter was the emotional leader on the "D" and that is definetely what we are missing this year.
VegasStlrFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 03:09 PM   #53
Steeldude
Living Legend

the steelers shoud have never signed simmons to that overpriced contract.

faneca wants 8 mil a year to be an average guard in his 30's.
Steeldude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 03:13 PM   #54
Steeldude
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by augustashark View Post
That's the funniest thing I read today. Guy makes pro bowl and he has "diminished" skills. LOL. You're right thought, most lineman are done by 32. Come on. I see Faneca playing at least 5 more years. I guess time will tell.
the pro bowl hasn't meant a thing for many, many years. pro bowl is based on popularity and/or veteran status.

faneca has played poorly this year.
Steeldude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 03:44 PM   #55
BlastFurnace
Living Legend

Member Number: 6321

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasStlrFan View Post
This year he has been average at best. Yes he made the Pro Bowl, but IMO that is largely do to his name and past history, not this year's work. His best years are behind him. I am also sick of hearing about his contract woes in the press. The Steelers are making another good decision in letting someone else pay a premium for a player on the back end of ther carear. If he can get a big pay day, good for him, but it will not be the straw the breaks the camels back. Ben has had people hanging on him all year, no one on the O-line is above average this year.

Personally, I think losing Porter was a much bigger loss than Faneca is going to be. Porter was the emotional leader on the "D" and that is definetely what we are missing this year.
I watched the 2005 America's Game last night and watched how Porter interacted with the team. Harrison's #'s may be better, but Porter sure had the emotional command of the team and Cowher indicated it himself. That show made that loud and clear.

We do miss Joey, but our hands were tied in this situation. There is no way we could have made him financially happy.
BlastFurnace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 06:55 PM   #56
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
Contrary to the popular myth, Woodson did not leave over $$$ - after his knee injury he had slowed down and Cowher wanted to move him to safety - Woodson then went to the 49ers for a 1 and done year so he could remain at CB - after confronting reality, Rod moved on to a great second leg of his career as a safety.

Ding Ding Ding!!
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 12:23 AM   #57
The Duke
Living Legend

Member Number: 4800

so....was that his last game? we're not sure yet, but I just hope he enjoyed it. the line as a whole didn't protect ben or open many holes for najeh, but I sure hope he enjoyed his pittsburgh career
The Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 07:40 AM   #58
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,730 Times in 1,578 Posts
My Mood: Lurking

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Duke View Post
so....was that his last game? we're not sure yet, but I just hope he enjoyed it. the line as a whole didn't protect ben or open many holes for najeh, but I sure hope he enjoyed his pittsburgh career
You never know what we might pull out of the wood works it would be nice to get him resigned but I don't see it.
Galax Steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 12:49 PM   #59
VTsteel
Starter

Member Number: 8161

I am curious. Does anyone know what the Steelers actually offered him this last spring?

I've looked around and can't find any mention of what the offer really was.

I know this year he made $4.375 million ($1 million roster bonus included).

Personally, "Red" is one of my favorite linemen ever . . . right up there with "Dirt" Dawson. I just think he's being a little greedy if he expects to be paid in the 7-9 million dollar range. That's a lot of cake considering the average fan makes less than $50k each year.

Just because other teams over-paid their guards in the past couple years - Does not mean the Steelers should be expected to. I mean c'mon, Mr. Faneca - If you had to work a 9-5 job like the rest of us . . . You'd be grateful to be making millions playing a game.

So, does anyone know what the Steelers actually offered him last spring?
VTsteel is offline   Reply With Quote