Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers > Game Reporter

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 01-05-2008, 11:20 PM   #1301
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984
Default Re: AFC Wild Card Weekend:Steelers vs. Jaguars Gameday Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by eafratitpm3 View Post
I feel sick for our players that they didn't win due to piss poor coaching the last 4 minutes in the game. IMO that was the Steeler blueprint of recent. Get a lead and then just play to lose. I didn't watch the last four minutes as I was on my way to work but when Jax punted to us the last time. I told myself here we go, we're not going to play to win we're going to play to punt and put it on the D. By the way great punt Sep.
If the same players would have executed in the 1st half, maybe we wouldn't have been in that predicament.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 11:28 PM   #1302
VegasStlrFan
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 976

Quote:
Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
If the same players would have executed in the 1st half, maybe we wouldn't have been in that predicament.
thats it, you have job on ESPN waiting for you. You cant dig a hole that big and expect to win.
VegasStlrFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 11:30 PM   #1303
VegasStlrFan
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 976

im out.... the beer is still cold and i have some sulking to do!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
VegasStlrFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 11:37 PM   #1304
Hamer
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 448

Quote:
Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by eafratitpm3
I feel sick for our players that they didn't win due to piss poor coaching the last 4 minutes in the game. IMO that was the Steeler blueprint of recent. Get a lead and then just play to lose. I didn't watch the last four minutes as I was on my way to work but when Jax punted to us the last time. I told myself here we go, we're not going to play to win we're going to play to punt and put it on the D. By the way great punt Sep.

It all goes together- The coaches called the plays and the players executed them in the 2nd half to get the lead back. If Ben ran for the first we'd all be saying 'great play calling'.
Hamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 01:47 AM   #1305
steelers2685
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 8032

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamer View Post
If Ben ran for the first we'd all be saying 'great play calling'.
Unfortunately for the Steelers, passing the ball was working out so nicely that I don't understand why they chose three running plays deep in their own end at that pivotal point in the game. This has been common throughout the year with them that they want to rely on the run game in these situations but they just haven't had it this year. FWP did have a phenomenal season, but it was full of ups and downs running the ball.

Besides that, not only did Ben give the play away right off the bat, but the LT (forget who it was at this point in the night) ran out too wide assuming Ben was following. He should've taken the inside block to clear room for Ben on the outside, because the inside guy ended up blowing the play up who he missed. I don't know if this is a valid point or not, but grant it Ben has more power at the line of scrimmage this year calling audibles and checks, but even in this case tonight with the blown up 3rd down sneak, that side of the Jags D was stacked, why didn't he audible out and run to the right? That's an area where I hope some changes will be made for 2008, giving some more power back to the O-coordinator to check out of plays.

I do agree Harrision was held on that last drive, but of course it wasn't called.

Give the Jags credit though. They may not have had fantastic numbers, but they made plays when it counted the most. Second half you didn't hear much from them, but the 3rd down stop, the run by Garrard, and holding the Steelers on the 2 pt conversion were all fantastic plays that they pulled through on.

Cheer for the Jags though next week. I was really hoping to win tonight so we could go back to NE and spoil their 'perfect' season and make up for all of hte times they have beat us in the playoffs since 96 or so.

Moving on to 2008....
Old 01-06-2008, 01:53 AM   #1306
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamer View Post
It all goes together- The coaches called the plays and the players executed them in the 2nd half to get the lead back. If Ben ran for the first we'd all be saying 'great play calling'.
Yep.

Just like we were ticked at the Screen passes a couple weeks ago, but was excited about the screens this week, because they worked.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 10:57 PM   #1307
klick81
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 1396

*sigh*

Just logged in since before the loss...what a great game. I'm very satisfied with the player's performance (in the second half). They left everything out there last night, and you can't ask for anything else. The playcalling however...well that's for another thread.

Good season guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hines Ward
What are you going to say, I was too rough?
klick81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 07:51 PM   #1308
Hines0wnz
Living Legend

Member Number: 3085

I was driving through snow during this game and actually was sitting for several hours while an avalanche was cleared. I did manage to listen to a good part of the game. I'm glad they had the fire to come back in the second half......but disappointed at the end for playing not to win. Hopefully Tomlin learned a lot this season and will bring the noise next. His first draft will tell us a lot about his thought process. Still a pretty good season overall. Just need to put it all together for 2008 and kick some Patsie ass.