Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 01-05-2008, 11:05 PM   #1
BlastFurnace
Living Legend

Member Number: 6321
Default It was a fun season

This team gave a lot of excitement this season.

Admittedly, I am crushed after this loss tonight though. For me, this is the hardest loss since the Tennessee WC game of 2002. Why....because I really thought and think that we are the better team and should have won.

What did we learn this season:

Aaron Smith is clearly our best and most valuable defensive player.

Ben can take a team and put them on his back. He didn't play well in the 1st half, but he showed what he was made of in the 2nd half.

No running back on our roster can take Willie's place. We do need a pounder, and it's not Najeh. Najeh has a place on the team, but it's not as a pounder.

I'm not sure what to think of the 3-4 any longer, but one thing is sure, it sure looks better when Woodley is the LOLB opposite of Harrison. Thanks for your efforts Haggans, but your Steeler career is probably over.

Faneca is not worth $8 million a year...no matter how long or short the extension is.

Whether or not the Special Teams were taken seriously or not last training camp, they are still terrible. I hate to see a man lose his job, but Coach Lig needs to lose his.

Mahan is not a quality Center. I'm not sure he is a quality starting OL at all anywhere.

Essex and Starks both showed well at LT this season. Essex may have something.

It's going to be hard to sleep tonight. Yeah, I know it's just a game, but I am a fan and have been one for along time. Every time a season ends for the Steelers like this, it's hard to stomach.
BlastFurnace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 11:43 PM   #2
SteelDogFan
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 5886
Default Re: It was a fun season

Go straight to the potential draft picks and remember that Combine starts in Feb. The Steelers are on the growth not on the decline. They are headed up, A new coach young QB young starting RB. a great core of young defensive players. Granted we need to work on the o-line but the Steelers are set to be in contention for a few years. to come.

The year we drafted Big Ben I already new that was the QB I wanted and was hoping no-one got him before we picked.
Old 01-05-2008, 11:45 PM   #3
PisnNapalm
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 1225
Default My thoughts on the game and season...

With complete honesty I can say that I did not expect us to win this game. We had too many injuries in key positions. That puts extra pressure onto the other facets of the team.

The first half was appalling but not completely unexpected. The second half was a complete shock to me. I enjoyed virtually every minute of it.

Here's what I take from this season.

1. Our special teams play has been below average for a long time now. I cringe with each kick off. I have no faith that our guys can cover a kick. Thank God we don't have to face Devon Hester. They better address this in the off season.

2. The last several weeks teams have run the ball down our throats. The Jags have 2 quality running backs. Hmmm Remind you of a team from the not to distant past? Injuries to the defense particularly Aaron Smith hurt our run defense. They'll be fine next season. Perhaps even better.

3. Ben Roethlisberger is a gamer. He's closer to Brett Favre in style than a drop back pocket QB. Some of his chances aren't going to work. I'm ok with that. He's my QB anyday. He's a big reason why we won XL.

4. Woodley.... Wow... I see great potential in this kid. Is he the next Joey Porter? Did you see the size of his arms?

5. Sepulveda is a great addition to our special teams. He's the one bright spot there. He did well in pinning the opponents back behind the 20. I think he was a great pick.

6. I like Tomlin. Yes he made some coaching mistakes. I'll tell ya what though. He's made fewer mistakes than 9th year head coach Andy Reid. Reid still can't manage a clock.

7. I'm not sure about Bruce Arians as our Offensive Coordinator. Some of those plays during the season and in this game still have me scratching my head. I hate seeing a pass play on 2nd or 3rd and goal from the 2 yard line.

8. Heath Miller could be the best TE in the league.

9. The O-line... not much to say there. We all know it needs retooled.

10. Another potential need is a power running back. Davenport is not the answer. I don't have faith in Carey Davis or Gary Russell yet.

Thanks to the Steelers for a great season. I do want to see the Jags take down the Pats though. If we can't do it then it should be the Jags. They play our kind of football.
Old 01-05-2008, 11:48 PM   #4
PisnNapalm
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 1225

http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=22808

Dude... great minds think alike.
Old 01-05-2008, 11:48 PM   #5
Borski
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 3150

I am proud of out improvement this year. Tomlin had a great first season and Ben stepped up this year. I feel we'll be around for a while and will be a force to be reckoned with.

Here's to the 2008 season and another AFCN title
Old 01-05-2008, 11:50 PM   #6
stillers4me
Living Legend

Member Number: 2656

All great points, BF.......and right on the money.

I also want to note the great perfermance tonight of several up and coming stars on the Steelers............LaMarr Woodley, Gary Russell and Carey Davis. Thanks for stepping up, guys! I look forward watching you in the future.......wearing black and gold!

And then there's that other new guy......what's his name again .......Tomlin?
He made some gutsy calls this season.........some of them panned out big time......others didn't. All a part of the learning curve........and I think he's on the right track. Thanks, Coach.
stillers4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 11:55 PM   #7
eafratitpm3
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 1192
Default Re: My thoughts on the game and season...

1. I totally agree, ST needs revamped possibly new coach.
2. Bad tackling has been the main culprit. This can be fixed very easily.
3. KUDOS to Big Ben.
4. Woodley is a beast.
5. Great overall but when it counted he couldn't deliver, not his fault but a terrible punt for his last punt of the season.
6. Clock management wasn't the problem with Tomlin, going into a shell with 4 minutes left in the game is a Steelers trademark that needs to go away, when you play not to lose, 99.9% of the time you lose.
7. Downright a pathetic play caller but Ben seems to like him so I guess I'll have to put up with that for now.
8. Totally agree but was under utilized the 2nd half of the season. I thought that Spaeth was a wate of a draft pick IMO.
9. Agree, although I thought that Trei essex did fairly well this evening all things considered.
10. Thuis goes without saying but if you don't have an O-Line than i don't care how big of a back you have it isn't going to work.
eafratitpm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 11:56 PM   #8
Rotorhead
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 703
My Mood: Relaxed

I think we did well overall this season, and especially this game. If Timmons turns into half the player Woodley looks to be we are set at LB for a long time. Our Def came to play this game and made me proud. I liked Essex's played well at LT and think if we can get a decent replacement for Faneca and a good Center we will be fine. I feel our Line is our only big hole to fix. Unfortunately late season injuries killed us but I am excited for next season and hope for just a couple changes.
Rotorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 11:57 PM   #9
fdp
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 7697

Well, it was a helluva season. Remember Cowher saying we were going to be 3rd in the AFC North. I look forward to seeing this team in the future, the best thing I saw this year: I was convinced that we found our franchise QB.

I am looking forward to next season
Old 01-05-2008, 11:59 PM   #10
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984

Quote:
Originally Posted by PisnNapalm View Post
I hope you don't mind me merging the threads, PNP - I retained BF's thread title as he started his first. I agree - a lot of bumps in the road, and kind of a downer to see it end tonight the way it did, but a HUGE improvement over the train wreck that was '06.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote