Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

LOL

Old 01-06-2008, 01:15 AM   #11
Borski
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 3150
Default Re: 2008: Growth or Decline?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjpro11 View Post
how is that not a step back? he was the best player on a terrible oline.
Because hes just as terrible these days, get rid of him and we have money for a younger better oline.
Old 01-06-2008, 01:17 AM   #12
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

Member Number: 541

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
The schedule is brutal, but the division is weak - 9-7 may win the division, which gets a #4 seed in the playoffs.

We will say goodbye to several starters (Faneca, Mahan, Haggans, Foote, Townsend) and IMO will be a better team at the end of the year than the start of the year, unllike this year.

Ben needs to be and will be turned loose as Holmes + Miller have big years - the door was closed fort good on the old Steelers playbook of running the ball to protect the lead on that last possession with 3 minutes to go tonight
I'm still not in a position AT THIS POINT to say that 2 straight 10 win seasons is not going to happen, but however, crazier things have happend. In my opinion 11-5 to 12-4 looks realistic. (For the love of god please do not let the Eagles, Cowboys, Giants, and Pats games be losses)

Townsend I think stays. I think we say goodbye to Taylor, Mahan, Faneca, and possibly Haggans unless his salary cap hit is not strong.

786 Ways To Score Touchdowns
SteelCityMan786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 01:22 AM   #13
jjpro11
Living Legend

Member Number: 3559

Quote:
The schedule is brutal, but the division is weak - 9-7 may win the division, which gets a #4 seed in the playoffs.

We will say goodbye to several starters (Faneca, Mahan, Haggans, Foote, Townsend) and IMO will be a better team at the end of the year than the start of the year, unllike this year.

Ben needs to be and will be turned loose as Holmes + Miller have big years - the door was closed fort good on the old Steelers playbook of running the ball to protect the lead on that last possession with 3 minutes to go tonight
why are mahan, foote and townsend gone? no.. they arent super stars.. but they are just more guys who would need to be replaced.. 3 starters to boot. townsend didnt even have a bad year. faneca and haggans will probably be gone because they are free agents. but you dont cut guys out of the blue who arent even expensive to the team.
jjpro11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 01:23 AM   #14
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

Quote:
how is that not a step back? he was the best player on a terrible oline.
I even doubt that.

Towards the latter half of the year, I was seen Fanaca getting blown up more then Simmons OR Colon.

With Starks AND Trey showing some nice play at LT... that leaves Fanaca and Mahan as the worst two linemen.

The worst of a bad line.

Sorry. His reputation is pushing him a long way right now. He is the next Joey Porter. Watch what happens next year.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 01:24 AM   #15
jjpro11
Living Legend

Member Number: 3559

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityMan786 View Post
I'm still not in a position AT THIS POINT to say that 2 straight 10 win seasons is not going to happen, but however, crazier things have happend. In my opinion 11-5 to 12-4 looks realistic. (For the love of god please do not let the Eagles, Cowboys, Giants, and Pats games be losses)

Townsend I think stays. I think we say goodbye to Taylor, Mahan, Faneca, and possibly Haggans unless his salary cap hit is not strong.
why the hell would we get rid of our #1 cb, who we just signed to an extension that ended up being pretty favorable for the steelers organization?
jjpro11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 01:25 AM   #16
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 8,397 Times in 3,686 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityMan786 View Post

Taylor (?) - I thought Ike had a good year not to mention a contract with several years to run - you think McFadden bumps Ike?

Woodley's play tonight sealed the deal for me that he bumps Haggans
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 01:25 AM   #17
Preacher
Living Legend

Quote:
why the hell would we get rid of our #1 cb, who we just signed to an extension that ended up being pretty favorable for the steelers
organization?
Yeah.... I don't see that happening. I think he must have thougth about someone else.
Old 01-06-2008, 01:30 AM   #18
TackleMeBen
Southern Belle
Supporter

Location: where all the cute men are(especially the one in my avatar)
Member Number: 4435

if we dont improve our oline then it will be a decline, b/c ben will get killed next year without a good oline. he cant be running on every play and not get some kind of injury.

In memory of my brother Michael, who gave me my love of sports. I will miss you!
TackleMeBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 01:30 AM   #19
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 8,397 Times in 3,686 Posts

Quote:
why are mahan, foote and townsend gone? no.. they arent super stars.. but they are just more guys who would need to be replaced.. 3 starters to boot. townsend didnt even have a bad year. faneca and haggans will probably be gone because they are free agents. but you dont cut guys out of the blue who arent even expensive to the team.
Mahan was overpowered at C all year - Ed.B. of the P-G thinks the Steelers look elsewhere for C next year (move Simmons or FA - I think a #`1 draft choice also goes at LG - the wildcard is if Marvel Smith is done)

Interior run D was terrible the second half of the season - I think #1 pick Timmons is paid too much to play only ST and gets an ILB slot - it will not be Farrior's

Townsend did not have a bad year but he is old and I saw a lot of McFadden on the field tonight - IMO McFadden takes over next year
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 01:32 AM   #20
Preacher
Living Legend

Quote:
Mahan was overpowered at C all year - Ed.B. of the P-G thinks the Steelers look elsewhere for C next year (move Simmons or FA - I think a #`1 draft choice also goes at LG - the wildcard is if Marvel Smith is done)

Interior run D was terrible the second half of the season - I think #1 pick Timmons is paid too much to play only ST and gets an ILB slot - it will not be Farrior's

Townsend did not have a bad year but he is old and I saw a lot of McFadden on the field tonight - IMO McFadden takes over next year
You make a lot of sense here. It is time for the future. Let's do it and build for the future.