Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 01-06-2008, 01:38 AM   #21
jjpro11
Living Legend

Member Number: 3559
Default Re: 2008: Growth or Decline?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
Mahan was overpowered at C all year - Ed.B. of the P-G thinks the Steelers look elsewhere for C next year (move Simmons or FA - I think a #`1 draft choice also goes at LG - the wildcard is if Marvel Smith is done)

Interior run D was terrible the second half of the season - I think #1 pick Timmons is paid too much to play only ST and gets an ILB slot - it will not be Farrior's

Townsend did not have a bad year but he is old and I saw a lot of McFadden on the field tonight - IMO McFadden takes over next year
and then your even thinner at each position. we just dont have the money to replace those 3 players with better players, even with however much money we would save by cutting them. teams just dont do that kind of stuff unless they are salary cap casualties. their play hasnt been bad enough to not deserve a spot on the steelers roster. we only need to worry about resigning ben, and maybe starks.. and right now, we probably dont need to cut those guys to afford ben. but i dont want to get into all the salary cap stuff right now.. my head hurts.. however you just wouldnt be able to find equal value. you cant lose 2, maybe 3 offensive linemen in one offseason. you cant lost 2 linebackers in one offseason.. and i like our secondary for the first time in a long time. i dont want that to get thin either.
jjpro11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 01:41 AM   #22
Steeldude
Living Legend

the steelers will have to see what woodley and timmons can do next year. i don't think the high draft picks need to address the LBs this year. woodley can replace haggans and timmons for foote, hopefully. the FA market might be worth looking at.

the DL needs to be looked at. kiesel brings nothing in terms of a defensive lineman in a 3-4. cutting him would save a lot of cap room. hampton needs to lose some weight. i wonder if anyone noticed that the season hampton went down the defense did better. hoke is a little more agile. no, i am not saying he is better than hampton. but a little less weight would help hampton. he is listed at 330, but he looks 350+. anyone remember buckner, steed and seals. they were big and active. aaron smith isn't getting any younger.

the OL is what needs to be addressed. well at least the tackles. smith is a walking injury. colon is a guard, not a tackle. center is another spot to be changed. mahan is clearly not a center. what to do with simmons. he can't play guard, tackle or center, but the steelers gave him a huge contract. i guess he stays at guard. could stapleton be the center the steelers are looking for?

the steelers are in a bit of a rebuilding stage. they were blessed this year having to face such a weak schedule. next season's schedule looks tough.
Steeldude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 01:54 AM   #23
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 8,486 Times in 3,731 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjpro11 View Post
and then your even thinner at each position. we just dont have the money to replace those 3 players with better players, even with however much money we would save by cutting them. teams just dont do that kind of stuff unless they are salary cap casualties. their play hasnt been bad enough to not deserve a spot on the steelers roster. we only need to worry about resigning ben, and maybe starks.. and right now, we probably dont need to cut those guys to afford ben. but i dont want to get into all the salary cap stuff right now.. my head hurts.. however you just wouldnt be able to find equal value. you cant lose 2, maybe 3 offensive linemen in one offseason. you cant lost 2 linebackers in one offseason.. and i like our secondary for the first time in a long time. i dont want that to get thin either.
You replace Timmons for Foote as the starter

You replace McFadden for Townsend as the starter

Two existing players on the roster move up - no additional $$

Mahan just needs to be replaced somehow
Atlanta Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 01:59 AM   #24
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
You replace Timmons for Foote as the starter

You replace McFadden for Townsend as the starter

Two existing players on the roster move up - no additional $$

Mahan just needs to be replaced somehow
Shift Mahan to LG, his natural position.

YOu pick up Carlos Dansby, and let Timmons fight for the other ILB position.

Find or draft a center. Resign Starks at LT, or let Trai play there.. he did a very good job tonight, maybe he can step up. So then, let Starks go, and pick up someone else for RT and move Simmons to center.

There are a number of ways we can go. Let's just hope we go a certain way, and not sit around.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 04:05 AM   #25
Rhee Rhee
Head Coach

Member Number: 7579

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
No way losing Fanaca is a step back, unless we just blow off the position. He missed at least two or three plays tonight that ended in sacks.

But yeah... we a lot to look forward to.
i noticed that too.... it wasnt like he was doing it on purpose or anything but it's surprising... he was almost like the dark spot of the line 2nite....
Old 01-06-2008, 08:57 AM   #26
Rick5895
Team President

Member Number: 5148

Very interesting thread, I will now whey in on my thoughts. The O-Line needs to be anchored at center, Faneca's play dropped off because, in my opinion, he couldn't trust Mahan so he was covering for him. A thought to ponder, look what happended to Alexander when Hutchinson left Seattle.
I thought they should have drafted Woodley with the first pick, as I am not sold on Timmons, But Timmons should be given a shot inside.
They need O-Line help and someone to compliment the backfield, those kids they have just arent quality NFL players. After Willie and Najeh we are very thin.
Who ever they pick up in the later draft rounds and free agents they have to have guys that will sell out on special teams you cant keep expecting a defence to hold the fort on a short field.
Rick5895 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 10:19 AM   #27
steelpride12
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 5713

No doubt this team only has room for improvement and regarless of our schedule next season we can still be a team to reckon with!
1-I think we need a few changes on the poor o-line. At least i think our first round pick should be an o-linemen.
2-It would be nice to give Ben a solid 3rd WR with Holmes and Ward. A third WR would give the Steelers 4 good targets in Ward, Holmes, and Miller.
3-A new ST coach prob. would help out alot.
steelpride12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 10:29 AM   #28
ShrewBeer
Water Boy

Member Number: 8088

all you guys need is a competent coach.
if your coach is willing to look at himself and learn from his own mistakes, you will be all set. if not, it doesnt matter who you pick up in the offseason. yer screwed.
ShrewBeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 10:35 AM   #29
TheManOfSteel
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 5170

GROWTH ALL DAY. We will be a SB serious contenders next year. If all the injury's were not mounting up this year, we would of been serious contenders.
TheManOfSteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 10:39 AM   #30
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShrewBeer View Post
all you guys need is a competent coach.
if your coach is willing to look at himself and learn from his own mistakes, you will be all set. if not, it doesnt matter who you pick up in the offseason. yer screwed.
Considering who your HC is, and pardon me for saying this, you are the LAST person who should come around here and say anything about Tomlin. We'll keep our HC whose team won the AFCN and got to the playoffs (without a videocamera) in his inaugural season, thank you very much.

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote