Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 01-06-2008, 03:13 AM   #1
steelers2685
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 8032
Question Forseeable Changes in 2008?

Hi everyone. Just wanted to post a few thoughts of mine from this season.

One of the greatest contributions to our success in 05 was the running of the 2 minute drill on offense, keeping opposing D's on their toes and really making playcalling effective. We saw that tonight and it worked well once again. Anyone else like to see more of that come around again in 08?

Running game is one of our biggest assets as a team, and we lead the league in total rushing yards since the merger in 1970. This year, despite FWP's fight for the rushing title prior to being injured, did anyone else feel that the running game was not as effective as year's past when it comes to clock management and driving the ball home for first down's?

Playcalling is a word we've all heard plenty about this year, and some of it has been questionable. I don't know the statistics on 3rd downs for the Steelers this year, but to me I noticed countless times where we ended up in 3rd and 15+ situations from penalties as well as failed running attempts. The solution? We tried running dump off screens or draw plays to try and get that yardage. No offense, but that was not going to work. Most of these came when playcalling was run on first, run on second, and then screen/draw on third. Teams seemed to catch this pretty fast and consistently throughout the course of the game. Tonight, we saw the success of the passing game (in the second half at least) compared to the running game (25 total yards on 16 carries I believe?) Does anyone else feel that playcalling selection/looking more at the passing game needs to be addressed for next year?

Finally, tackling. Ike Taylor followed Cribbs I believe into the endzone on the infamous punt return in October. Similar examples occurred with the Pats, and most recently tonight in both the case of Tyrone Carter allowing 10-15 extra yards after the point he made contact with the runner, as well as the case of special teams, but that's been the occurrence since 04 it seems lol.... Tackling needs to improve next year, and one of the ways to help that I feel is to get Ryan Clark back. In addition, Woodley will be in there a lot more, perhaps even a starter come next year. It just seems tackling has fallen off hte map this year and created in my mind a far less than mediocre performance of LeBeau's great defensive schemes, as they just did not seem to fulfill expectations at times.

Thanks for reading, sorry for the length. I just wanted to speak my mind on issues that I've had since midseason.
Old 01-06-2008, 03:19 AM   #2
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984
Thanked 1,385 Times in 504 Posts
Default Re: Forseeable Changes in 2008?

I'd like to address two of your points.

The running game - I feel this was a transition year as far as making this a more balanced offense, and the kinks were not completely worked out. Let's face it, for years if you stopped the Steelers' running game, you stopped the Steelers, period. I also think the overall poor play of the OL exacerbated the team's inability to kill clock with the run late in games where they've had the lead.

Tackling - I think the tackling this season, particularly later in the season was some of the worst I've seen by the defense since Tim Lewis was the DC. This definitely needs to be shored up going into next year.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 03:28 AM   #3
steelers2685
Bench Warmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
I'd like to address two of your points.

The running game - I feel this was a transition year as far as making this a more balanced offense, and the kinks were not completely worked out. Let's face it, for years if you stopped the Steelers' running game, you stopped the Steelers, period. I also think the overall poor play of the OL exacerbated the team's inability to kill clock with the run late in games where they've had the lead.

Tackling - I think the tackling this season, particularly later in the season was some of the worst I've seen by the defense since Tim Lewis was the DC. This definitely needs to be shored up going into next year.
+1 I didn't take into consideration the OL's responsibility for a successful running game. My fault on that oversight. Completely agree with the tackling though. I think Jeff Reed's sorry attempt at stopping Jones-Drew on his big run back pretty much sums up the tackling by the D, especially secondary, here late in the season. Their inability to bring runners down basically amounts to just falling down in front of the guy since the runner gets by without much effort.
Old 01-06-2008, 03:54 AM   #4
Rhee Rhee
Head Coach

Member Number: 7579

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelers2685 View Post
+1 I didn't take into consideration the OL's responsibility for a successful running game. My fault on that oversight. Completely agree with the tackling though. I think Jeff Reed's sorry attempt at stopping Jones-Drew on his big run back pretty much sums up the tackling by the D, especially secondary, here late in the season. Their inability to bring runners down basically amounts to just falling down in front of the guy since the runner gets by without much effort.
jeff reed aint sepulveda... lol
Old 01-06-2008, 03:59 AM   #5
steelers2685
Bench Warmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhee Rhee View Post
jeff reed aint sepulveda... lol
LOL! Quadzilla should have still made a better effort at grappling hold of JD's leg at the very least. It looked like he got drop kicked in the stomach and flew backwards, just falling down in front of JD as he shielded himself.
Old 01-06-2008, 04:06 AM   #6
jjpro11
Living Legend

Member Number: 3559

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelers2685 View Post
LOL! Quadzilla should have still made a better effort at grappling hold of JD's leg at the very least. It looked like he got drop kicked in the stomach and flew backwards, just falling down in front of JD as he shielded himself.
its hard to fault him for that.. 9 times out of 10 MJD wins that matchup with the kicker. the real problem was the special teams guys missing tackles who are paid to tackle, not kick.
jjpro11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 04:09 AM   #7
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984
Thanked 1,385 Times in 504 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjpro11 View Post
its hard to fault him for that.. 9 times out of 10 MJD wins that matchup with the kicker. the real problem was the special teams guys missing tackles who are paid to tackle, not kick.
Agreed - if you have to rely on the PK to make a TD-saving tackle, the rest of your coverage team screwed the pooch on the return.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 04:13 AM   #8
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjpro11 View Post

True. But he could have at least make it LOOK better!
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 04:49 AM   #9
7/39/43
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 6289

get rid of Arians , the O line coach and special teams coach
Old 01-06-2008, 05:01 AM   #10
The Duke
Living Legend

Member Number: 4800

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7/39/43 View Post
get rid of Arians , the O line coach and special teams coach
yeah, that's going to solve the problem

seriously dude, think about what you're saying, if you were running a football team and just fired a first year O coordinator, and o line coach and a ST coach at the same time you would be struggling to be 1-15

I'm gonna guess anger at the jags loss makes you say those kind of stupid things, hey we are all a little sad and angered about it, but think a little about what you say

The Duke is offline   Reply With Quote