Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...
Bills
GAMEDAY
September 11, 2014, 8:25pm ET
CBS

Old 01-06-2008, 04:22 AM   #11
7/39/43
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 6289
Default Re: Forseeable Changes in 2008?

Duke
more than once this year with a lead he has called stupid plays near the end of the game no way in he_ _ should Jacksonville got the ball back with that little time no time outs and we give them the chance to win it. O line find me another star QB that was on the ground that much Ben is tough but his career will be short if that keeps up. Special teams how many long returns have they gave up this year, man I miss Bobby April
Angry yes but serious thinking!

Last edited by 7/39/43; 01-06-2008 at 06:14 AM.
7/39/43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 06:00 AM   #12
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,307 Times in 1,406 Posts
My Mood: Lurking

That was a stupid call there at the end of the game when ben tried to run for the first down.
Galax Steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 06:18 AM   #13
ohiosteelerfan20
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 4962

Sean Mahan has to go. He was bad all year, but especially last night. The only time I saw him block someone was when he got called for that bogus holding, on the 2 point conversion. There is a article on Aol this morning stating"he could'nt have blocked Lindsey Lohan from the medicine cabinet last night."
ohiosteelerfan20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 08:14 AM   #14
Michael Keller
Starter

Member Number: 5736

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Duke View Post
yeah, that's going to solve the problem

seriously dude, think about what you're saying, if you were running a football team and just fired a first year O coordinator, and o line coach and a ST coach at the same time you would be struggling to be 1-15

I'm gonna guess anger at the jags loss makes you say those kind of stupid things, hey we are all a little sad and angered about it, but think a little about what you say

Duke You take a noble position and one that I generally agree with. Patience and stability are good qualities of leadership. I got to tell you I have been an avid fan for over 55 years and this was one of the most frustrating seasons I personally have experienced.

Here is what I see.

Arian is probably a good coach at the preparation stages and most of all relates well with our franchise player. His play selection is just terrible. He does not seem to understand what is working and what is not working. He mixes up plays such that there is no consistency in the offense. If I had to guess, he is not a quick thinker. Or he is stubborn. I see this quite a bit in human behavior. In my opinion he is not a good game day coach and in fact he is terrible. There is an opinion amongst many fans that pro football coaches are well qualified . NOT TRUE. I know some coaches first hand and I know it to be true that there is there is quite of bit of incompetency. It is actually discouraging . Conversely there are some extrordinaryly good coaches at both the college level and pro level who would love to be a Steeler coach.

I would even consider keeping Arians and either Tomlin takes a much more active role in game day play calling or hire a bright Assitant Head Coach to select the plays. This area has got to improve. This is so obvious to me. I have seen enough of Arian.

Special teams : I am noticing more and more this year that these kids do not know how to tackle or do not have the heart to do so. The Steelers need to identify at least two or three kamakazie type players that will be the heart and soul of their special teams, that is kick off and punt coverages. Again I sense it is coaching and again I would find the very best Special Teams coach and in the second day of the draft pick the kids who demonstrate heart and quickness .

Offensive line , the horses are simply not there. I would not make a coaching change here. This is not going to be a quick fix but the improvement can begin next year. It may take at least two years to for the OL to become a strength again. I hope against hope that Faneca stays. There must be at least one blue chip addition to the OL either through the draft (most likely source 1st rounder ) or through FA.. No more journey man , Mahon like additions. I am hoping that Tomlin and his brain trust concentrates on what to do with the OL first and foremost.

It will be an intersting off season. Quite frankly there is a big part of me that that is glad this season is over and now lets begin to get this right.
I do believe in Mike Tomlin and I look for next year's team to be "His Team ". This young man has the personal resources to be a great coach.
Michael Keller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 09:28 AM   #15
TheManOfSteel
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 5170

I know one thing. Nobody on the OL played as bad as Colon did all year. Every game his bad play jumped out at me. Mahan was the second worst. Essex looked very good last night. I think the team should look at him next year at LT. This off season we need to rebuild a good solid OL first and for most. Then maybe some depth at DL. AT OLB we look very good. I know we need a little help in the secondary as well. Other then that we are not to far off of winning another SB IMO. Tomlin had a very good year as a first year HC. I cant wait to see are moves in this years off season.
TheManOfSteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 12:51 PM   #16
SteelersJW
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 5742
Default Bruce Arians

So what do you guys think? Will Arians remain the OC next season, and if not, who will replace him?

The only candidate for the OC job within our staff I can think of is Ken Anderson. He was the Bengals OC for a few years and has a good amount of expierence with NFL offense. What do you think?
Old 01-06-2008, 02:15 PM   #17
steelers2685
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 8032

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Keller View Post
It will be an intersting off season. Quite frankly there is a big part of me that that is glad this season is over and now lets begin to get this right.
I do believe in Mike Tomlin and I look for next year's team to be "His Team ". This young man has the personal resources to be a great coach.
I agree 110%. Next year I see big improvements due to the simple fact that Tomlin now knows what he has to work with on a first hand level and can go into the draft and free agency with this knowledge as well as what the team needs next year.

I do not see Arians leaving as it was just his first year. But I do feel they need to either get on him to provide some spark to the offense like in the previous two years, or allow Tomlin to take over some play calling himself. I'm sure he has that right already, but has anyone seen him with papers in his hand all year? I do not believe I have. You see Holmgren, Cheatichik, and alot of other head coaches having a more active role with those big play call cards in front of them. It'd be nice to see him to a bit more of that.

The main issue though - the OL MUST get better during the offseason to allow for greater things to happen. No OL = no threatening running game and Ben on his back again unable to make plays.
Old 01-06-2008, 02:32 PM   #18
mopit55
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 2035

no new lineman and good protect = big ben injury and bad pocket
mopit55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 02:33 PM   #19
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelers2685 View Post
But I do feel they need to either get on him to provide some spark to the offense like in the previous two years, or allow Tomlin to take over some play calling himself.
Why don't you ask Ben if he felt there was any "spark" to Arians' offense? Ben had a great season because Arians believed in him enough to take the shackles off of him. Willie Parker, had he not broken his leg, was vying for the NFL rushing title and having one helluva season. I don't think he'd agree with you either.

Tomlin is a defensive guru, not an offensive expert. I'm just fine with leaving Arians in as OC and Ken Anderson as the QB coach - both contributed significantly to Ben having a career season.

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 02:41 PM   #20
ohiosteelerfan20
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 4962

Anyone who really thinks Arians is getting fired, is kidding themselves. Yes that 3rd and 6 call did'nt work out, but that can not undue a whole year of work. If Arians did get fired, it would be the first time in the history of the NFL, that a OC got fired after his qb made the pro bowl and his team won the division. Arians will be back, that is not even debatable.
ohiosteelerfan20 is offline   Reply With Quote