Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Browns Bills
September 7, 2014, 1:00pmET

CBS

Old 01-06-2008, 08:15 AM   #1
PalmerSteel
Team Captain

Member Number: 3520
Default hidden message?

maybe its just me, but did anyone else notice this in ben's press conference: dont know the question but his reply was "we really were just physically and mentally a beat up football team by the end of the season. we need to make sure we are not like that at this time next year".
is it me, or is that a possible hint at the rough and tough grinding training camp that tomlin ran put a toll on the guys? i know thats what coughlin would get criticized for and he eased up on his camps and some of the preactices during the week at times.
just a thought to ponder.
PalmerSteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 08:31 AM   #2
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413
Default Re: hidden message?

I didn't take Ben's comments in that respect at all, Palmer. I took it as a very tired and frustrated QB who gave it his all (especially in the second half) and fell a hair short. Nothing more.

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 08:36 AM   #3
stillers4me
Living Legend

Member Number: 2656

We were bit by the injury bug bad.....especially for a team that was one of the healthier ones at the beginning of the season. A little too much physical on the part of a new head coach? Perhaps. We'll see if he backs off a bit this year as his learning curve grows. All in all..........I'm very happy he's ours.
stillers4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 09:04 AM   #4
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009

Quote:
or is that a possible hint at the rough and tough grinding training camp that tomlin ran put a toll on the guys?
This is one of the biggest rumors that have stuck in this city since Tomlin has been here. I can't count how many players on this current roster have stated time and time again that this past seasons TC was no different (in terms of difficulty) than Bill Cowher's TCs. It was a media driven story and many fans bought it and continue to buy it.

It was a regular TC, not the Bataan Death March.
Old 01-06-2008, 09:16 AM   #5
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 6,410 Times in 2,938 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83-Steelers-43 View Post
This is one of the biggest rumors that have stuck in this city since Tomlin has been here. I can't count how many players on this current roster have stated time and time again that this past seasons TC was no different (in terms of difficulty) than Bill Cowher's TCs. It was a media driven story and many fans bought it and continue to buy it.

Agreed - IMO Ben was just weary after a season in which the wheels came off in the last 2 months.

Hard to blame Clark's altitude related spleen problems, Aaron Smith's torn biceps and Parker's broken leg on training camp.

As for the D just wearing down and the OL wearing Ben down, the team needs some new blood - Woodley's performance last night was a start and the draft + FA hopefully generate 2 players that start on opening day next September -
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 10:01 AM   #6
Hamer
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 448

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
As for the D just wearing down and the OL wearing Ben down, the team needs some new blood - Woodley's performance last night was a start and the draft + FA hopefully generate 2 players that start on opening day next September -
Next year's OLB starters= Harrison & Woodley.
Hamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 11:08 AM   #7
stillers4me
Living Legend

Member Number: 2656

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamer View Post
Next year's OLB starters= Harrison & Woodley.

I'm hyperventilating thinking about it.

Well, not really.

Next year is The Wood's break out year..........and Harrison will add to the "legend" of where the heck did that guy come from??????
stillers4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 11:36 AM   #8
she_had_man_hands
Water Boy

Member Number: 8004

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83-Steelers-43 View Post

Do you think any player is going to come out and say anything different even if it is true? To me it seems there was something else going on besides injuries for the last 4 weeks or so.
she_had_man_hands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 11:43 AM   #9
TackleMeBen
Southern Belle
Supporter

Location: where all the cute men are(especially the one in my avatar)
Member Number: 4435

did anyone notice how he said that he thought jax knew the plays they were running and that is why the jax defense was good. (was he taking a shot at arians??? since we all know how he cant past up an opportunity to take cheap shots at coaches..lol)

i was too busy thinking who in the hell dressed this man tonight to pay attention to anything else... ben this isnt vegas you arent a lounge singer...

In memory of my brother Michael, who gave me my love of sports. I will miss you!
TackleMeBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 12:54 PM   #10
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009

Quote:
Originally Posted by she_had_man_hands View Post
Do you think any player is going to come out and say anything different even if it is true? To me it seems there was something else going on besides injuries for the last 4 weeks or so.
It's not just the players. There were plenty of fans at the camp (including myself on a few days) who witnessed it first hand. There were also people in the media who witnessed the camp first hand and have stated since then that it was not as hard as some made it out to be. Ed Bouchette being one of them.

If people want to continue to believe Tomlin drove them into the ground and that is the reason why we played bad ball over the last four weeks, be my guest.

This was said back in September by Faneca and the last two sentences are just fact......

Quote:
Deserved or not, critics blamed the traditionally slow starts by Bill Cowher's Steelers on easy training camps. Then along came Mike Tomlin with a 3-0 start, and people linked it to the "tough" training camp he held in Latrobe this summer.

It sounds good, except for one thing. Tomlin's training camps were easier than those run by Cowher. At least, that's what guard Alan Faneca believes.

"The only thing I would say training camp-wise, it was a little lighter than what we've done in the past," Faneca said yesterday.

And here most everyone thought they were more difficult.

"That was y'all guys," Faneca told the media gathered around him.

While Tomlin scheduled 15 two-a-days, several were canceled and more than half were short special-teams practices. Other times, he cut the afternoon practices short.
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07270/820885-66.stm

Last edited by 83-Steelers-43; 01-06-2008 at 01:24 PM.
83-Steelers-43 is offline   Reply With Quote