Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 01-06-2008, 12:48 PM   #11
jjpro11
Living Legend

Member Number: 3559
Default Re: Ron Cook Throws Rocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Stiller View Post
Cook is right and I have been saying all year how bad Mahan sucks. I even got banned argueing with the blind fans around here that think he's not that bad or whatever.

Mahan is an embarassment to the Steelers uniform and I will be sick if he starts again next season

BTW, why the F did Tyrone Carter start over Anthony Smith????????????????

RETARDED MOVE BY TOMLIN
mahan is definitely no center. i dont know who is coming out in the draft at center, but i hope we make the right pick. mahan will move to guard, which he can only be better at than center.

carter started over smith because smith played like pure shit late in the year and lost us the game vs the patriots on his own. carter had been playing well too, but he looked really slow last night. i just hope ryan clark can recover.. he's been under the radar ever since he got here, but has played well the entire time.
jjpro11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 12:53 PM   #12
BlastFurnace
Living Legend

Member Number: 6321

Quote:
Originally Posted by PisnNapalm View Post
I'm not happy with Mahan either. As Emmitt Smith would say, "He got blowed up" so many times this year. Maybe we should have kept Okobi. I dunno.

I think Cook's article is too strongly worded.
Whenever Chucki played, I never remember him getting pushed back and destroyed like Mahan. Either way, I am sure the situation will be addressed.

The area of change that needs the most help is OL and ST coach.
BlastFurnace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 03:35 PM   #13
The_WARDen
Head Coach

Member Number: 7628

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
Compared to this column by Bob Smizik today Cook is moderate

Defense falters one last time

The inexplicable but plainly obvious decline of the Steelers from Super Bowl contender in October and November to massive underachiever in December and January played out as expected last night, but not without continuing disappointment in a first-round playoff game against the Jacksonville Jaguars

The record book will say the Steelers finished 10-6 and advanced to the playoffs. In most seasons this would be considered a success, and the long lens of history likely will look on it as such. But those who watched it up close as it happened will know better. They will know this was as soft a 10-6 record as might be found in the recent annals of the NFL. It was a record achieved more by a schedule full of weak and mediocre opponents than any special ability on the Steelers' part. They beat only two teams with winning records, Seattle and Cleveland. The Seattle win, 21-0, Oct. 7, was, in retrospect, the high point of the season.

In truth, the opportunity was there for a hugely successful year. But these Steelers couldn't beat bad teams. They were defeated by three teams with losing records, Denver, the New York Jets and Baltimore. They were only able to beat the hapless Miami Dolphins, 3-0. In a showdown match with New England in early December, which some thought they might win, the Steelers were embarrassed, 34-13. But what was truly the low point for this team was that it got worse instead of better as the season progressed

http://www.postgazette.com/pg/08006/847196-194.stm
the truth hurts...the record was a mirage.

There is alot of work to do to get back to elite status. Good luck Tomlin.
After reading the idiotic threads over the past couple of weeks, I ask the question - "Who is worse...Steeler fans or Eagles fans?" Keep in mind that Eagle fans do not know what it's like to win a SB much less 6 and 2 this decade.
The_WARDen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 08:58 PM   #14
Lord Stiller
Banned

Member Number: 7087

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjpro11 View Post

carter started over smith because smith played like pure shit late in the year and lost us the game vs the patriots on his own. carter had been playing well too, but he looked really slow last night. i just hope ryan clark can recover.. he's been under the radar ever since he got here, but has played well the entire time.
I still think Smith should have started. He is a better tackler and faster than Tyrone Carter. Carter's attempts to tackle Jones-Drew on the swing pass and Garrard on the QB draw were utterly pathetic and I am sure Smith would have done better

And, yes Ryan Clark is a very underrated player who is missed by our D.
Lord Stiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 10:17 PM   #15
jjpro11
Living Legend

Member Number: 3559

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Stiller View Post
I still think Smith should have started. He is a better tackler and faster than Tyrone Carter. Carter's attempts to tackle Jones-Drew on the swing pass and Garrard on the QB draw were utterly pathetic and I am sure Smith would have done better

And, yes Ryan Clark is a very underrated player who is missed by our D.
the last time smith played vs the jags he got burned deep for a td. carter didnt get burned, but he had some poor tackling efforts.
jjpro11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 12:00 AM   #16
The Duke
Living Legend

Member Number: 4800

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjpro11 View Post
the last time smith played vs the jags he got burned deep for a td. carter didnt get burned, but he had some poor tackling efforts.
that's why clark's so important. he doesn't get beat deep and he doesn't miss tackles
The Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 02:13 AM   #17
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCSteeler View Post
You really have a problem with him asking Mahan to leave? He didn't exactly impress this year.
Correct me if I am wrong HTG...

But I think her, and my, and some other's problems are not with him calling out Mahan, but with the general bitter tone of the writing. Almost as if he is happy that he is now free to rip on the coach.

I could see him now

Sitting down with paper and pen a mere 20 seconds after the loss: Thank Goodness the Steelers lost. Now, enough with that honeymoon period. What have I been holding back on all year. Hmmmm... Nothing. dangit. I gotta get a thought of my own. This writing stuff is too difficult. OK. let's see what Phily's writers say! Nope. DANGIT. They didn't get a new coach. I should have taken that job as a carwash attendant. OH. I KNOW. Fanaca is leaving. Yeah.. I mean.. boo. Wait... which one is fanaca. He and Mahan look alike. That confuses me. I hope I don't get them confused next year. HEY. THATS IT.

Quote:
But I do have one request for Faneca:

Can he take center Sean Mahan with him?...
Great. I got something on paper. And if they listen, i won't confuse the names next year and look like an idiot!

And that my friends... is probably how that article started.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 02:23 AM   #18
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
But I think her, and my, and some other's problems are not with him calling out Mahan, but with the general bitter tone of the writing. Almost as if he is happy that he is now free to rip on the coach.
Agreed - he made it sound like the team just finished 4-12. Are there holes to fill and concerns to address? Sure. However, the sky isn't exactly falling, either. He also conveniently failed to address the injuries that contributed to the "The inexplicable but plainly obvious decline of the Steelers from Super Bowl contender in October and November to massive underachiever in December and January."

Then he goes on to say "It was a record achieved more by a schedule full of weak and mediocre opponents than any special ability on the Steelers' part. They beat only two teams with winning records, Seattle and Cleveland. The Seattle win, 21-0, Oct. 7, was, in retrospect, the high point of the season." Which is it, Mr. Cook? SB contender or a pretender with a sham of a W/L record? It would lend greatly to his credibility as a journalist if he'd stop contradicting himself, which Cook does quite often.

Another quote that killed me: "In truth, the opportunity was there for a hugely successful year." With this OL? Not hardly. It sucked out loud last year and sucked even worse this year. The only thing you could probably hang on Tomlin was failure to address it in last Spring's draft.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 02:33 AM   #19
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

Quote:
Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
Agreed - he made it sound like the team just finished 4-12. Are there holes to fill and concerns to address? Sure. However, the sky isn't exactly falling, either. He also conveniently failed to address the injuries that contributed to the "The inexplicable but plainly obvious decline of the Steelers from Super Bowl contender in October and November to massive underachiever in December and January."

Then he goes on to say "It was a record achieved more by a schedule full of weak and mediocre opponents than any special ability on the Steelers' part. They beat only two teams with winning records, Seattle and Cleveland. The Seattle win, 21-0, Oct. 7, was, in retrospect, the high point of the season." Which is it, Mr. Cook? SB contender or a pretender with a sham of a W/L record? It would lend greatly to his credibility as a journalist if he'd stop contradicting himself, which Cook does quite often.

Another quote that killed me: "In truth, the opportunity was there for a hugely successful year." With this OL? Not hardly. It sucked out loud last year and sucked even worse this year. The only thing you could probably hang on Tomlin was failure to address it in last Spring's draft.
Very true.

And yet, with last years draft looking deeper in LB's, and this years draft looking deeper in OL, in hindsight, that may have been a stroke of genius.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote