Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 01-06-2008, 09:24 AM   #1
ShrewBeer
Water Boy

Member Number: 8088
Default You guys got screwed by your coach

Pats fan here. yeah, im probably not very welcome, but i was rooting for the steelers last night, and it was miserable.
yeah, there were mistakes on both sides of the ball, and the officials blew a few calls. but your coach played not to lose. he tried to play it safe, and didnt play to win at the end. ben had been getting the underneath stuff all game, so why, when you needed to run out the clock, did the coach call three runs? the three runs wouldnt be so bad if the first two runs netted more than three yards. but a quarterback draw on third and seven? that just screams "i dont have confidence that my qb wont screw this up". im pissed at the coach, so i cannot imagine how you guys feel. the guy might as well have punted on second down because it would have been safer.
ShrewBeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 09:28 AM   #2
Pentheon
Team Captain

Member Number: 7606
Default Re: You guys got screwed by your coach

Id say we got screwed more by the refs. Where was the holding on that 2 pt conversion? Ward made a nice ass catch and they call it back..

even madden and michaels were saying they didn't see any holding.

blah
Pentheon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 09:33 AM   #3
ShrewBeer
Water Boy

Member Number: 8088

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pentheon View Post
Id say we got screwed more by the refs. Where was the holding on that 2 pt conversion? Ward made a nice ass catch and they call it back..

even madden and michaels were saying they didn't see any holding.

blah
refs suck. pats have been getting some good calls lately, but against the colts its always a one-sided game. you just have to accept that you gotta play better than a three point game to win it.
but yea, refs screwed ye too. from the review, to the phantom calls. steelers dbs were getting away with murder though. there was plenty that the jags were getting away with too.

dont worry, we will demolish these jags in the divisionals
ShrewBeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 09:35 AM   #4
Bus36RollsUrlacher
Water Boy

Member Number: 7965

Well, the the head coach does not call the offense. True, Ben had been getting the underneath stuff (although he had Holmes underneath when he went for the homerun to Davenport which got picked), but I think that getting 5 yards on 1st down fooled themselves. Arians did get way conservative on that drive, and he, like coaches sometimes do, overthink the situation. 1:30 is a lot of time to still win a game, and they ended up giving the ball back with 2:30+. I hate it when OC's don't just run their offense. Let the players play and take what the defense hase given you. It sure as heck was not on the ground.
Bus36RollsUrlacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 09:38 AM   #5
BIGBENFASTWILLIE
Living Legend

Member Number: 618

Hey PATS fan, your welcomed here...
and I agree with you.....

Brady would never run it on 3rd and 7 with 3 min left in the game....

Bad call and thats what lost us the game
Old 01-06-2008, 09:44 AM   #6
Counselor
Starter

Member Number: 5075

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShrewBeer View Post
refs suck. pats have been getting some good calls lately, but against the colts its always a one-sided game. you just have to accept that you gotta play better than a three point game to win it.
but yea, refs screwed ye too. from the review, to the phantom calls. steelers dbs were getting away with murder though. there was plenty that the jags were getting away with too.

dont worry, we will demolish these jags in the divisionals

Hey, had our team played better from the start, the refs calls wouldn't have mattered, so there is no use blaming them. As for our coaches calls----Perhaps I would have made a different call myself, but if the call would have worked the coaches would have looked like geniuses. Hindsight is 20/20. All in all, I'm happy keeping our coaches, and you can keep your "coach of the year".

You'll have to forgive me Shrew---but I'll be rooting for those Jags against you. But good luck anyway. (PS I'll be rooting for the colts and whoever else you play as well---but I'm sure you understand.)
Counselor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 09:45 AM   #7
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGBENFASTWILLIE View Post
Hey PATS fan, your welcomed here...
and I agree with you.....

Brady would never run it on 3rd and 7 with 3 min left in the game....

Bad call and thats what lost us the game
Yep - that one play lost us the game. Riiiiiighto. I think you need to watch the game again, BBFW. Every Steelers unit on that field last night played a part in that loss. There isn't one play or player that was the reason for our demise and who should unfairly shoulder all of the blame.

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 10:01 AM   #8
Steeldude
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bus36RollsUrlacher View Post
Well, the the head coach does not call the offense.
i am sure tomlin was behind that call.
Steeldude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 10:08 AM   #9
Mosca
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 1751

Tomlin on the QB sweep: "That was something we worked on all week and we felt good about it. We actually had the look and we didn’t execute it. Good job by them."

Roethlisberger: "That was a designed run play. We called it just to run. It was a good play, it was man, but they got outside and we were just trying to protect the ball."

It's not the play call; it's rarely the play call. It's being talented enough to enforce your call onto the other team. The Steelers had the matchup they wanted and failed to execute when the chips were on the line.

If you can't do that, you don't move to the next round. And you shouldn't. We finished right where we should have. I would have liked another few weeks of joy, but this was pretty good, coming off of last year.
Mosca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 10:10 AM   #10
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosca View Post
Tomlin on the QB sweep: "That was something we worked on all week and we felt good about it. We actually had the look and we didn?t execute it. Good job by them."

Roethlisberger: "That was a designed run play. We called it just to run. It was a good play, it was man, but they got outside and we were just trying to protect the ball."

It's not the play call; it's rarely the play call. It's being talented enough to enforce your call onto the other team. The Steelers had the matchup they wanted and failed to execute when the chips were on the line.

If you can't do that, you don't move to the next round. And you shouldn't. We finished right where we should have. I would have liked another few weeks of joy, but this was pretty good, coming off of last year.
Great post Tom. I hope now this belabored subject can be properly laid to rest.

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote