Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 01-06-2008, 10:10 AM   #11
ShrewBeer
Water Boy

Member Number: 8088
Default Re: You guys got screwed by your coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by ?teeldude View Post
i am sure tomlin was behind that call.
the call goes through the head coaches headset, and he could have changed it if he wanted.
i guess my overall feeling was that a loss to a better team does not hurt as much as a loss to a team that you very well easily could have and should have beat. those are the painful ones
ShrewBeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 10:12 AM   #12
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosca View Post
Tomlin on the QB sweep: "That was something we worked on all week and we felt good about it. We actually had the look and we didn?t execute it. Good job by them."

Roethlisberger: "That was a designed run play. We called it just to run. It was a good play, it was man, but they got outside and we were just trying to protect the ball."

It's not the play call; it's rarely the play call. It's being talented enough to enforce your call onto the other team. The Steelers had the matchup they wanted and failed to execute when the chips were on the line.

If you can't do that, you don't move to the next round. And you shouldn't. We finished right where we should have. I would have liked another few weeks of joy, but this was pretty good, coming off of last year.
Very nice post.

And true. Execution killed us (no pun intended).

Some day we will learn that we are no longer a team that can simply run the clock out when we get the lead... heck, we never have been that team... unless we were in the lead by 11 points or more.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 10:55 AM   #13
Eckrew
Water Boy

Member Number: 7504

It didn't work week 10 vs. Cleveland, and it didn't work last night.

True, a lot of crappy play preceded that series, but you've got to be aware enough of what has worked and what hasn't. All that other "crap" was behind them at that point in the game. It is "playing not to loose" - no matter what thread you post it in.
Eckrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 11:02 AM   #14
Bus36RollsUrlacher
Water Boy

Member Number: 7965

Quote:
Tomlin on the QB sweep: "That was something we worked on all week and we felt good about it. We actually had the look and we didn?t execute it. Good job by them."

Roethlisberger: "That was a designed run play. We called it just to run. It was a good play, it was man, but they got outside and we were just trying to protect the ball."

It's not the play call; it's rarely the play call. It's being talented enough to enforce your call onto the other team. The Steelers had the matchup they wanted and failed to execute when the chips were on the line.

If you can't do that, you don't move to the next round. And you shouldn't. We finished right where we should have. I would have liked another few weeks of joy, but this was pretty good, coming off of last year.

Sure, they had the look, etc., but you did not have many "called" run plays over 7 yards all day. Most of Ben's came from scramble plays. I just have to disagree with you on it rarely being the play call, because sometimes you do make the wrong call for the situation. 3rd and 7 in your territory with 3 minutes to go, you oponent has timeouts, and the 2-minute warning is not a running play in my book. Tomlin does get the call in his headset, but as he has stated many times, he lets his coaches coach. That may change some as he gets experience. He'll go back and look at the season and see that there were probably several situations where he should have taken control.
Bus36RollsUrlacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 11:14 AM   #15
SteelDogFan
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 5886

Everyone stop the maddness and know that three interceptions in the first half of a playoff game in the NFL you will lose and thats it. The fact that they came back from down 18 tells you that without the ints it may have been a blow-out by the steelers.

Oh yeah one of the ints was for a TD.
Old 01-06-2008, 11:21 AM   #16
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 8,252 Times in 3,627 Posts

Quote:

Agreed this team ended up where it should have based on its play since the bye week and preseason expectations (although IMO the diviision was as much due to the collpase of teh Benglas and Ravens as anything else)

As for the call, of course Tomlin and Ben are going to say it was the right call - to me it made sense if your only concern is a turnover since your D will shiut Jax down as long as Jax gets the ball anywhere outside the Steelers 40. But this D has shown since October it is vulnerable to closing drives.

Playing not to lose on offense works if your D will not lose it for you - given the down/distance/time remaining and play of the D this year the Steelers should have taken the risk of a second or third down pass.
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 11:29 AM   #17
Bill
Water Boy

Member Number: 8030

Three interceptions and a kick returned 90+ yards are the reasons we lost, plain and simple. You can't overcome mistakes like that. Jacksonville was very lucky, because except for those mistakes, the Steelers out hit and outplayed them. I think Tomlin had them ready to play, and he sounded frustrated by the interceptions too, as when he spoke to Andrea Kramer at half-time
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 11:32 AM   #18
Bill
Water Boy

Member Number: 8030

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShrewBeer View Post
Pats fan here. yeah, im probably not very welcome, but i was rooting for the steelers last night, and it was miserable.
yeah, there were mistakes on both sides of the ball, and the officials blew a few calls. but your coach played not to lose. he tried to play it safe, and didnt play to win at the end. ben had been getting the underneath stuff all game, so why, when you needed to run out the clock, did the coach call three runs? the three runs wouldnt be so bad if the first two runs netted more than three yards. but a quarterback draw on third and seven? that just screams "i dont have confidence that my qb wont screw this up". im pissed at the coach, so i cannot imagine how you guys feel. the guy might as well have punted on second down because it would have been safer.
We may have lost, but we'll take our 5 Superbowl rings and get to work on next season. I don't think I need a Patriots fan to make me feel better by telling me that they will get the Jags for us.

As for me, I'll be rooting for the Jags against the Pats.
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 11:57 AM   #19
Stlrs4Life
Tailgate Coordinator
Supporter

Member Number: 419
Thumbs up Re: You guys got screwed by your coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShrewBeer View Post
Pats fan here. yeah, im probably not very welcome, but i was rooting for the steelers last night, and it was miserable.
yeah, there were mistakes on both sides of the ball, and the officials blew a few calls. but your coach played not to lose. he tried to play it safe, and didnt play to win at the end. ben had been getting the underneath stuff all game, so why, when you needed to run out the clock, did the coach call three runs? the three runs wouldnt be so bad if the first two runs netted more than three yards. but a quarterback draw on third and seven? that just screams "i dont have confidence that my qb wont screw this up". im pissed at the coach, so i cannot imagine how you guys feel. the guy might as well have punted on second down because it would have been safer.

Exactly, excellent post.

It's not just Steeler Football, it's a way of Life! "I'm a Champion"
Stlrs4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 11:58 AM   #20
Mosca
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 1751

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bus36RollsUrlacher View Post
Sure, they had the look, etc., but you did not have many "called" run plays over 7 yards all day. Most of Ben's came from scramble plays. I just have to disagree with you on it rarely being the play call, because sometimes you do make the wrong call for the situation. 3rd and 7 in your territory with 3 minutes to go, you oponent has timeouts, and the 2-minute warning is not a running play in my book. Tomlin does get the call in his headset, but as he has stated many times, he lets his coaches coach. That may change some as he gets experience. He'll go back and look at the season and see that there were probably several situations where he should have taken control.
Looking back, we can both agree that obviously it didn't work!

I don't have any special, extra football knowledge; I'm far from an expert. But let me tell you why I reasoned it the way I did. I hate looking back at the plays that didn't work and thinking they were the wrong plays; it's only when I predict the play and then see it run that I think it was the wrong play, like in the run-run-pass-punt days. I certainly didn't expect to see a QB sweep left, and I'm sure the Jags didn't either.

The Steelers saw the Jags with a look that they had a play ready for; most likely the Jags were expecting a roll out to the right and a short pass. So, the Steelers used a play that they had for that situation, a QB run to the left.

Recalling the play from memory, BR took the snap from the shotgun and ran right, with a lineman pulling; was it 79? I'm not sure, but I think it was a tackle. Colon or Essex. And maybe there was a back, but the lineman was in position. There were two defenders, a linebacker and a corner. The tackle turned upfield about halfway to the sideline, and BR turned up inside him, and was trapped by the two defenders; 4th down.

What went wrong, as I see it:

First, the play was never disguised, never sold as a different play. There was never any doubt where it was going. Next time you watch the Pats, watch how well Brady and the backs play the "where's the ball" game, watch how many times the camera starts to follow the wrong guy. The Pats sell the fakes better than any other team in the NFL, IMO. Everyone follows through to the end, even after the handoff. The Steelers' fakes are half-hearted, and they die once the actor is out of the picture. If BR would have just lifted his arm and looked downfield, the defenders would have had to respect the sprint-out pass look that the play should have had. Instead, it looked plain vanilla.

Second, the play could still have worked, if the tackle hadn't turned upfield and not hit anyone. If he'd have continued going outside and picked a guy to hit, the outermost guy, BR had a chance to race the inner guy to the corner of the first down marker and the angle. Once BR turned up inside the tackle, it was over.

Third, BR should have kept going outside anyhow, on the off chance that the defenders would have whiffed, or that he would have won the race to the sidelines. I think he wanted to stay in bounds though. Part of the reason for the run was to force the Jags to use the time out if the play failed; an incompletion would have saved the TO for them. When the play failed, the Jags used the TO. A minute later, that was a big deal.

Fourth, as it played out, the running play still eventually took the Jags to 4th and 2, and the Steelers defense had multiple opportunities to stop them. Heck, a booming punt from our highly touted 4th round rookie punter would have been nice right there, instead of that weak 37 yarder. Nothing like making the Jags start from the 15 yard line with a nice Aussie roll, eh?

Even after that play failed, we had half a dozen opportunities to win, and the call of the running play gave us at least one extra one because of the time out the Jags had to call. Sure, looking back, you can say that it was the wrong play because it didn't work. I'll agree with that. But, I think that it could have worked, and that if we were truly a team that deserved to advance to the next round, it should have worked and would have. But it didn't, and we aren't.

And not to pick out that particular play; there were at least a dozen that we could have made to advance, but we didn't... and we didn't.

Anyhow, that's why I wrote what I did.
Mosca is offline   Reply With Quote