Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 01-06-2008, 12:40 PM   #21
BlastFurnace
Living Legend

Member Number: 6321
Default Re: You guys got screwed by your coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShrewBeer View Post
Pats fan here. yeah, im probably not very welcome, but i was rooting for the steelers last night, and it was miserable.
yeah, there were mistakes on both sides of the ball, and the officials blew a few calls. but your coach played not to lose. he tried to play it safe, and didnt play to win at the end. ben had been getting the underneath stuff all game, so why, when you needed to run out the clock, did the coach call three runs? the three runs wouldnt be so bad if the first two runs netted more than three yards. but a quarterback draw on third and seven? that just screams "i dont have confidence that my qb wont screw this up". im pissed at the coach, so i cannot imagine how you guys feel. the guy might as well have punted on second down because it would have been safer.
You are exactly right. I couldn't have said it any better myself.

There are 3 QB's going to the Pro Bowl, and Ben is the only one out of the 3 that his own coaches would not put it in his hand to get that 6 yards. Jacksonville wasn't stopping us all 2nd half and the coaching staff didn't play to win it. They played not to lose.

Whoever made the calls for the 2nd and 3rd down plays played scared, not with confidence.
BlastFurnace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 12:47 PM   #22
Elvis
Banned

Member Number: 2390

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pentheon View Post
Id say we got screwed more by the refs. Where was the holding on that 2 pt conversion? Ward made a nice ass catch and they call it back..

even madden and michaels were saying they didn't see any holding.

blah
Thought me John and Al were the only ones that saw that play. That was a joke call and I hope that it counts against that refs' score for his/her check...
Good luck to the Patriots and Jaguars but I am pulling for the Chargers today and the Buccaneers.
Elvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 12:51 PM   #23
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pentheon View Post
Id say we got screwed more by the refs. Where was the holding on that 2 pt conversion? Ward made a nice ass catch and they call it back..

even madden and michaels were saying they didn't see any holding.

blah
Leave the crying about refs to Holmgren. We lost because we let Garrard run up the middle for 30 yards on 4th down.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 12:56 PM   #24
OX1947
Living Legend

Member Number: 723
Thanked 1,095 Times in 569 Posts

Quote:
Pats fan here. yeah, im probably not very welcome, but i was rooting for the steelers last night, and it was miserable.
yeah, there were mistakes on both sides of the ball, and the officials blew a few calls. but your coach played not to lose. he tried to play it safe, and didnt play to win at the end. ben had been getting the underneath stuff all game, so why, when you needed to run out the clock, did the coach call three runs? the three runs wouldnt be so bad if the first two runs netted more than three yards. but a quarterback draw on third and seven? that just screams "i dont have confidence that my qb wont screw this up". im pissed at the coach, so i cannot imagine how you guys feel. the guy might as well have punted on second down because it would have been safer.
One of the worst holding calls I have ever seen and the sad thing about it was it ruined a great catch. The Steelers lost on their last drive. Not going for the first down on their own 20. Stupid decision. Im not playing arm chair QB here and I dont care if I have never played or coached in the NFL before, but not going for a first down when your special teams sucks balls and you're at your own 20 AND!!!!! Your offense just scored 3 TDs in a quarter, what the hell told you that you wouldn't get at least ONE freakin first down to end the game.
OX1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 12:58 PM   #25
Mosca
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 1751

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlastFurnace View Post
You are exactly right. I couldn't have said it any better myself.

There are 3 QB's going to the Pro Bowl, and Ben is the only one out of the 3 that his own coaches would not put it in his hand to get that 6 yards. Jacksonville wasn't stopping us all 2nd half and the coaching staff didn't play to win it. They played not to lose.

Whoever made the calls for the 2nd and 3rd down plays played scared, not with confidence.
But... but.. we DID put it in his hands to get those 6 yards. Ben is the only QB in the Pro Bowl that the coaches would have given the ball to to RUN for those 6 yards. Not Manning. Not Brady. Roethlisberger. A decent block, and we aren't having this discussion.
Mosca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 01:18 PM   #26
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 3,661 Times in 1,581 Posts

Quote:
A decent block, and we aren't having this discussion.
....how many of those did you see yesterday ???

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 01:22 PM   #27
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 3,661 Times in 1,581 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
Three interceptions and a kick returned 90+ yards are the reasons we lost, plain and simple. You can't overcome mistakes like that. Jacksonville was very lucky, because except for those mistakes, the Steelers out hit and outplayed them. I think Tomlin had them ready to play, and he sounded frustrated by the interceptions too, as when he spoke to Andrea Kramer at half-time
you do know that we did retake the lead AFTER all that ??? so i guess you CAN overcome mistakes.....

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 01:25 PM   #28
Stlr4ever
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 7925

Quote:
I appreciate your input without taunting. You guys probably wanted our team in NE next weekend. Because you guys have been winning AFCCs and SBs at our team's expense. Well..., it is what it is--have to accept it as a fact of life.
Anyway, coming back to our coach's decision, he relies on his assistant coaches to send in the right plays. He is not an offensive expert. He is a rookie coach and he is still learning. Yeah, our passing game was working fairly well. But for some reason(perhaps, you are right), our coaches decided to go with cowardly plays. Shame on them.
Stlr4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 01:33 PM   #29
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stlr4ever View Post
But for some reason(perhaps, you are right), our coaches decided to go with cowardly plays
finishing the sentence . . . .

"which our team did not execute".

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 01:52 PM   #30
Stlr4ever
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 7925

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosca View Post
Looking back, we can both agree that obviously it didn't work!

What went wrong, as I see it:
Second, the play could still have worked, if the tackle hadn't turned upfield and not hit anyone. If he'd have continued going outside and picked a guy to hit, the outermost guy, BR had a chance to race the inner guy to the corner of the first down marker and the angle. Once BR turned up inside the tackle, it was over.
The bottom line is, great teams do not make the type of mistakes that our team made last night. Reasons: players lacking in character; lacking in talent; coaching not up to par...etc. It could be combination of all those factors. Our OL is definitely lacking in talent. Imagine how great Brady could have been if he didn't have a great OL.
Stlr4ever is offline   Reply With Quote