Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 01-06-2008, 11:01 AM   #1
Ricco Suavez
Head Coach

Member Number: 7718
Default Yes our O-Line needs help but................

I think we our overlooking a big problem that has plagued this team for two years. That being we have some of the worst starting field position of any team in the league pertaining to kick and punt returns. While we constantly see opposing team returners slice up field against our ST, we on the other hand signal for fair catches or get gang tackled after a meager gain. We have not had a return man since Randel El. I hope we address this in next years draft along with a shored up O-line, DE, a quality receiver, and maybe a RB in the later rounds.I honestly believe we have the toughest schedule ahead of us this next year, and without some significant improvement in these areas we could be looking at 8-8 or worse. Not spouting doom and gloom just calling it as I see it.
Ricco Suavez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 11:08 AM   #2
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327
Default Re: Yes our O-Line needs help but................

If we don't address any of those issues, you're probably right. However, we will definitely address those issues.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 11:10 AM   #3
Hamer
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 448

We thought we did address that with Reid, who made his name as a return man. Unfortunately it's been a case of limited opportunities, and when he does get them he doesn't play up to his potential. I like Davenport returning kickoffs. Wilson just looks timid on punt returns, like he's afraid to get hit.

IMO, if Reid and Nate Washington can work on their hands in the off season, either of them have the speed and moves to be effective punt returners.
Hamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 12:18 PM   #4
RoethlisBURGHer
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 370

Yeah but you don't draft a punt and kick returner in the first round.

We thought we got our return man when we drafted Willie Reid, who broke a lot of Deion Sander's punt and kick return records at F$U. Unfortunatly he hasn't been given much of an opportunity since we drafted him (in 2006 he was inactive for most games). I doubt they let him practice it much, hence his muffs when we actually let him return in a game.

And getting a stud return man is like catching lightning in a bottle. Unfortunatly for us, when we had one (Randle El), he was more than just a return guy. Therefore he was a lucritive free agent.

Congrats to the 2009 Stanley Cup Champion Pittsburgh Penguins
RoethlisBURGHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 12:20 PM   #5
steelersfanman92
Starter

Member Number: 3372

I would like to see the Steelers address in in the draft, it would be nice if we could pick up Chris Johnson out of ECU, he can play RB and WR, and is a threat in the return game, it would be a good second day pick up and could really help us
steelersfanman92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 12:26 PM   #6
stillers4me
Living Legend

Member Number: 2656

I think special teams is a thorn in Tomlin's side and he will most definitely be addressing it (again) in the off season.

I feel sorry for these guys in TC.
stillers4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 12:27 PM   #7
steeltheone
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 6351

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamer View Post
We thought we did address that with Reid, who made his name as a return man. Unfortunately it's been a case of limited opportunities, and when he does get them he doesn't play up to his potential. I like Davenport returning kickoffs. Wilson just looks timid on punt returns, like he's afraid to get hit.

IMO, if Reid and Nate Washington can work on their hands in the off season, either of them have the speed and moves to be effective punt returners.
Davenport could not return kicks for ANY other team in the league. This is how pathetic our Special teams are.
Old 01-06-2008, 12:28 PM   #8
ohiosteelerfan20
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 4962
Default The O line

After watching Essex have a solid game last night, and how well Starks played before he was hurt, it has got me wondering. Maybe next year, if linemen are getting beat over and over in a game(Mahan and Colon), maybe they can go to a back up in the game. Getting yanked might be a motivator too. I just find it hard to believe that their is not a better center on that team, than Mahan. He was'nt just getting chucked aside, sometimes he just whiffed on his blocks. I really hope that guy is gone next year.
ohiosteelerfan20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 12:55 PM   #9
Tankus_Maximus
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 519

Hell, if Ben had 1/2 an O-Line, we could've easily been 15-1 (again)....last night's game was Ben Vs. The Jags, course the dumbass nearly lost it for us, but again, he brought us back....great game for Big Ben.

Now the FO needs to keep the boy off his back and invest in an O-Line!!

"I'm not locked up in here with you. You're locked up in here with me." -Rorschach
Tankus_Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 12:58 PM   #10
shevdog
Team Captain

Member Number: 120

Our special teams have been horrible all season. We can't be giving up big returns and hardly getting any yards on return. Special teams needs to be tight for 2008.

As for O-line, yeah, we know what needs to be done. And Fanaca should be saying his good-byes within the week.

Steelers need to tighten things up on all cylinders. What about the running game? Willie is still my favorite, yet we need to improve the power running game. We need to get back to being a running game. I think we all like good passing games, yet with Steeler brand football, it is all based off the run.

75th Season is over for the Steelers. All I can do now is hope for the Patsies to get upset before they make it to the big game again. I don't want to see cheaters getting #4 to be dubbed for good a dynasty. As us Steelers fans (heck I dare say 49'er and Cowboy fans) know, dynasties don't cheat!

Steelers Football: Simply the Best!
shevdog is offline   Reply With Quote