Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Bucs

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 28, 1:00 PM
FOX

Old 01-06-2008, 10:44 AM   #1
SteelDogFan
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 5886
Default No Willie P. is reason for loss.

I looked at the stats from the game and was blown away by the rushing statistics.

Davenport............16 carries for 25 yards
Big Ben.................4 carries for 13 yards
Davis.....................3 carries for 3 yards
Russell.................3 carries for 2 yards

Total rushing yards......43 yards

Those rushing statistics will not win any playoff game.

In the middle of the season I thought that this year was on par to repeat the Tommy Gun year and it ended very close to that. I hope next season we get back to Steelers football. We are not a air-it-out team and going to pass first I believe hurt the Oline chemistry.

I dont know about anyone else but I like run on first, run on second, pass on third. With the occasional first down play-action pass. That is what the Steelers have done for years and I hope next year thats what we do.

All in all this was a good first year for Tomlin, cant wait to see how he does in the draft.
Old 01-06-2008, 10:52 AM   #2
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Member Number: 2550
Default Re: No Willie P. is reason for loss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelDogFan View Post
I looked at the stats from the game and was blown away by the rushing statistics.

In the middle of the season I thought that this year was on par to repeat the Tommy Gun year and it ended very close to that. I hope next season we get back to Steelers football. We are not a air-it-out team and going to pass first I believe hurt the Oline chemistry.

I dont know about anyone else but I like run on first, run on second, pass on third. With the occasional first down play-action pass. That is what the Steelers have done for years and I hope next year thats what we do.

All in all this was a good first year for Tomlin, cant wait to see how he does in the draft.
Are you insane????? And have you been reading this board over the past 12 hours????? Almost every fan to a MAN has been bashing Arians for doing that on the final drive last night, and most of the season, and you want MORE of that???? MORE predictability on offense???

Besides, the Steelers ran the ball 511 times this season, and passed 442 times. So where's the "pass-happy" offense you and others keep bringing up????
Old 01-06-2008, 11:08 AM   #3
SteelDogFan
Bench Warmer

The game as a whole is what my post is about not one individual play. The fact is you can pull individual plays out of any playoff game in NFL history and say that play caused the loss.

But I bet 65% or better teams loss their playoff game if they had 50 or less rushing yards in the game. Thats just playoff football in the NFL. If we are going to look at individual plays here three you can look at.

Arians did not throw one interception ,we had three. Thats three individual plays..

Why so many ints, because Ben took the game on his shoulders and tried to win it on his own. When a QB does that there will be ints. Willie may have been over 100 yards that would have cut Bens attempts by 20-30%.
Old 01-06-2008, 11:21 AM   #4
Steeldude
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelDogFan View Post

so in other words you like setting up 3rd and long. parker would have done nothing either. if the O-line isn't opening a hole then you aren't going to get yards.

you do realize that the only time the steelers moved the ball is when they were passing, right? the steelers do not possess an O-line that controls the scrimmage. therefore running ball is pointless. i like running the ball also, but it can't be done until the O-line is repaired. it isn't going to be better next season.

the O-line in 2003(maddox) was far worse than this one. in 2003 the steelers put together their worst rushing performance since 1969. i believe only one linemen(faneca) played every game that year. that was the year faneca had to move to LT.
Steeldude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 11:36 AM   #5
SteelDogFan
Bench Warmer

The running game was not a threat to the jags. They could pin their ears back a slam the line. Willie could go for 80 on any given play. Plus I totally believe that willie would of had more that 25 yards rushing.

Davenport had 25 yards rushing. If you fix everything that has been complained about in the forums you still dont win with only 25 yards rushing from your starting RB in the playoffs. That is not something I pulled out of a hat that is a NFL statistical fact.

TheTommy Gun year we won the first playoff game. I said on par to be like and end like, not to compare individual positions.
Old 01-06-2008, 12:02 PM   #6
shevdog
Team Captain

Member Number: 120

Hey, Willie would have made a big difference. To get some run in for good yards towards the end of the game would have run out the clock and my trip out of the stadium would have been filled with joy and rant about heading to Indy next week...

Steelers Football: Simply the Best!
shevdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 12:17 PM   #7
19ward86
Head Coach

Member Number: 2717

i believe that against teams like the jags you have to throw it enough to make plays but run it to keep them honest. if we throw 30, run at least 15 times. we cant run 30 times against this team because they are deep at positions like DT and DE so it doesnt matter if you try to tire them, they will just plug in someone else. on the other hand when we plug in a guy to fill in a DE it takes 4 games for us to get a defense back.
Old 01-06-2008, 12:22 PM   #8
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984
Thanked 1,010 Times in 381 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19ward86 View Post
we cant run 30 times against this team because they are deep at positions like DT and DE so it doesnt matter if you try to tire them, they will just plug in someone else.
Speaking of which, what's the prognosis on Henderson going into next week? If he can't go, that's going to be a pretty big blow to the Jags.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 12:37 PM   #9
Elvis
Banned

Member Number: 2390

Steeldogfan... I can honestly say that I am just like you in the fact that I want a Run First offense and a physical O Line. But we didnt have the line this year to do that in the play-offs without Willie in there. I love the running game and always have. Which do you think a team hates worst for their defense.... A running game that takes the ball at their own 17 yard and goes 83 yards on 15 plays and it takes 8:30 minutes off the clock in the 4th Qtr. or a 4 play 83 yard drive in 2:15 leaving the opposing team around 4 minutes left to make their own drive?
This doesnt mean that I dont want to mix it up like we did this year, but when it comes to play-off football.. you got to be able to run the ball effectively and play strong defense to win a tittle 98% of the time.
Elvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 12:41 PM   #10
Elvis
Banned

Member Number: 2390

Quote:
Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
Speaking of which, what's the prognosis on Henderson going into next week? If he can't go, that's going to be a pretty big blow to the Jags.
I havent heard anything myself about Henderson.. but the way he could not get around after he got hurt, I think its easy to say that he Will Not be Ready next week...
Congratulations are in order for our Steelers for their heart that they showed last night and especially Ben... with the 3 int's in the 1st half.. he could have just hung his head... But He Didnt Do That!!! I am so proud of him....
Elvis is offline   Reply With Quote