Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 01-06-2008, 01:52 PM   #11
jjpro11
Living Legend

Member Number: 3559
Default Re: No Willie P. is reason for loss.

we werent going to win the super bowl with davenport anyways.. his feet are slow and he doesnt keep them moving. he's a good 3rd down back and filler back.. but he's no every down back.
jjpro11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 01:57 PM   #12
spiketg
Water Boy

Member Number: 8020

he really cant run the outside lanes/sweeps either... I dont know why they even tried that last night lol
Old 01-06-2008, 03:39 PM   #13
Rhee Rhee
Head Coach

Member Number: 7579

we only ran him 14 times the first game.. do u really think we'd have given him the ball 25+?
Old 01-06-2008, 04:05 PM   #14
Glace
Team Captain

Member Number: 3609

Sorry..You can't look at those rushing totals as an indication of willie being more successful than Davenport...

#1 - On more than one occasion, Davenport got hit almost immediately after taking the handoff....that's the line's fault

#2 - We were down 18 points at one point in the game....you don't make up that big of a difference by rushing....You are throwing the ball.

The only call that Arians made that I didn't care for was having Ben run the ball on 3rd down near the end of the game...we needed to not be afraid and put the ball in the air to convert a CRUCIAL 3rd down.

Our last offensive play when Ben fumbled.....That blame goes on the line...Ben didn't even have time to make a single read...which has been the tale of our season...
Glace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 04:30 PM   #15
The_WARDen
Head Coach

Member Number: 7628

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelDogFan View Post
I looked at the stats from the game and was blown away by the rushing statistics.

Davenport............16 carries for 25 yards
Big Ben.................4 carries for 13 yards
Davis.....................3 carries for 3 yards
Russell.................3 carries for 2 yards

Total rushing yards......43 yards

Those rushing statistics will not win any playoff game.

In the middle of the season I thought that this year was on par to repeat the Tommy Gun year and it ended very close to that. I hope next season we get back to Steelers football. We are not a air-it-out team and going to pass first I believe hurt the Oline chemistry.

I dont know about anyone else but I like run on first, run on second, pass on third. With the occasional first down play-action pass. That is what the Steelers have done for years and I hope next year thats what we do.

All in all this was a good first year for Tomlin, cant wait to see how he does in the draft.
reasons why we lost the game?

1) Ben = 3 picks including a pick 6 was devastating.
2) "special" teams = giving up long returns and a punter that chokes when we needed him most.
3) Tomlin = panicking and going for 2 from the 12 and then turning to Martyball on the last drive.
4) Defense = can they ever come up with "the stop" anymore...seems like the other team moves into position to score at then end most of the time anymore.
After reading the idiotic threads over the past couple of weeks, I ask the question - "Who is worse...Steeler fans or Eagles fans?" Keep in mind that Eagle fans do not know what it's like to win a SB much less 6 and 2 this decade.
The_WARDen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 04:37 PM   #16
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984
Thanked 1,379 Times in 499 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glace View Post
Sorry..You can't look at those rushing totals as an indication of willie being more successful than Davenport...

#1 - On more than one occasion, Davenport got hit almost immediately after taking the handoff....that's the line's fault.
Kinda like what happened to Willie ALL season?
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 04:45 PM   #17
SteelAssassin
Water Boy

Member Number: 8098

This is EXACTLY the reason Arians NEVER should have called 3 straight running plays on our final drive to secure the win!!! Dont put the blame on Willie Parker not being in the game (even though he would have had more than 43 yds. rushing).

Bruce Arians is a total retard.....plain & simple. He lost that game for us, and if I didnt know better I would say he got bribed by Jax to throw the game. Complete & utter incompetence wouldnt even begin to describe Bruce Arians as a coach.

I have serious doubts about Mike Tomlin if he doesnt can Arians this week. Tomlin appears a little too calm, cool, and collected for Steeler football. Yes, I know Cowher had plenty of "Turtle Ball" moments as well, but Cowher knew how to fire up his team when it mattered, and I just dont see that fire under the ass in Tomlin. Frankly, this scares me......we dont need another 15 years of gloom and doom.

SteelAssassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 04:52 PM   #18
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 4,239 Times in 1,802 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelDogFan View Post
The running game was not a threat to the jags. They could pin their ears back a slam the line. Willie could go for 80 on any given play. Plus I totally believe that willie would of had more that 25 yards rushing.

Davenport had 25 yards rushing. If you fix everything that has been complained about in the forums you still dont win with only 25 yards rushing from your starting RB in the playoffs. That is not something I pulled out of a hat that is a NFL statistical fact.

TheTommy Gun year we won the first playoff game. I said on par to be like and end like, not to compare individual positions.
Quote:
Willie could go for 80 on any given play
320 attempts.....0... 80 yarders....

Willie had 100 yds in week 15 against the jags. guess what ??? WE LOST THAT ONE TOO !!!. .......There goes that theory....

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 09:01 PM   #19
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Member Number: 2550

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelAssassin View Post

This is EXACTLY the reason Arians NEVER should have called 3 straight running plays on our final drive to secure the win!!! Dont put the blame on Willie Parker not being in the game (even though he would have had more than 43 yds. rushing).

Bruce Arians is a total retard.....plain & simple. He lost that game for us, and if I didnt know better I would say he got bribed by Jax to throw the game. Complete & utter incompetence wouldnt even begin to describe Bruce Arians as a coach.

I have serious doubts about Mike Tomlin if he doesnt can Arians this week. Tomlin appears a little too calm, cool, and collected for Steeler football. Yes, I know Cowher had plenty of "Turtle Ball" moments as well, but Cowher knew how to fire up his team when it mattered, and I just dont see that fire under the ass in Tomlin. Frankly, this scares me......we dont need another 15 years of gloom and doom.

For the love of FREAKING GOD, Why the HELL can't people get it through their THICK SKULLS that EMOTION ALONE DOES NOT WIN FOOTBALL GAMES?!?!?!?!!?!?!?

Good GRIEF this is so damn frustrating!!!!!!!!

I really, really should take a break from this board for a while, before I have a coronary.
Old 01-06-2008, 09:03 PM   #20
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984
Thanked 1,379 Times in 499 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Terminator View Post
For the love of FREAKING GOD, Why the HELL can't people get it through their THICK SKULLS that EMOTION ALONE DOES NOT WIN FOOTBALL GAMES?!?!?!?!!?!?!?

Good GRIEF this is so damn frustrating!!!!!!!!

I really, really should take a break from this board for a while, before I have a coronary.
Didn't you know, X-T, that Cowher's spittle alone got this team to 10 playoff berths in 15 years?
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote