Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...
Bills
GAMEDAY
September 11, 2014, 8:25pm ET
CBS

Old 01-06-2008, 10:52 AM   #1
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

Member Number: 541
Default SteelCityMan's 2007 Season Report Card

So I thought I'd do a report card on each area for the Steelers. The lower the grade, the more I think Improvement will be needed.

Quaterback = A Big Ben improved greatly from 2006. He didn't consistently make the mistakes which have killed him and hard. He was smarter with the ball. Batch also filled in well for him minus a couple mistakes that probably costed the Steelers the game in Baltimore.
Off-season Needs =None

Running Backs = B+ Davenport and Parker were a pretty good tandem in the backfield this year. Parker carried the load well until the injury knocked him out. Willie is only going to get better. Najeh looked impressive particularly last night scoring a couple of key TD's which gave them a shot at the end of the game.
Off-season Needs=None, but picking up a player in Free Agency or the Draft wouldn't hurt

Receivers = B- The receiving core was pretty good. If they didn't have some drops or made a few more key catches, we might right now be already talking about preparations for next week either as a team with a first round bye or maybe even winning round 1.
Off-season Needs=Draft a WR who can catch the ball without dropping them on a consistent basis.

Offensive Line = D They were on pace to get a B from me this season, but they so badly underachieved all the way through the end of the year starting with the Pats game minus St. Louis and maybe last night. But, they will need to improve greatly in 2008 if the Steelers are to repeat as AFC North Champions.
Off-season Needs Pick up a Guard and Tackle in the Draft or Free Agency.

Defensive Line= B A solid group but they did not open the holes for DB's, LB's, etc. to get pressure on the QB. With a few improvements next year and the possibility of going 4-3, this can be a solid group.
Off-Season Needs=Pick up another D-Linemen to help the transition to 4-3 if the go there as planned.

Linebackers= A- This was a great group of players this year minus a couple of games. However, this year they will have a decision to make between Farrior and Haggans. Foote can also be placed in that Equation. The Steelers I would not be surprised if Haggans goes because Farrior in my opinion still has couple more good years to go.
Off-season Needs=Go after another LB in the draft.

Seconday =C Pretty much average starting with the 2nd half of the pats game till the end of the year. I was probably the most frustrated with this group then any of them. If this group does not change over the off-season in terms of how they develop in mini camp and training camp, expect more of the same play to happen next year
Off-Season Needs=More likely a shutdown corner

Special Teams =D- Need I say more? I was probably most frustrated with the Kick Coverage unit ESPECIALLY last night. Punt Coverage and Return were pretty good.
Off-Season Needs=(Pending other positions)

Coaching =B Mike Tomlin did a great job for year 1. Not all coaches ever have the chance in year 1 to make the playoffs and fortunately for him, he got to do it in year 1. But some staff changes will be needed.
Off-Season Needs=A New Offensive Coordinator

786 Ways To Score Touchdowns
SteelCityMan786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 11:22 AM   #2
steelersfanman92
Starter

Member Number: 3372
Default Re: SteelCityMan's 2007 Season Report Card

I agree with you on getting a new offensive coordinator, he had his good calls with spreading out the offense sometimes, but when it came down to it he just didn't pull through for us
steelersfanman92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 11:24 AM   #3
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984

If anybody from the coaching staff needs to go, it's Ligashesky. The STs went from bad to worse this year.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 11:27 AM   #4
SteelDogFan
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 5886

Quaterback = B+ What I saw from Ben was growth, but at the same time he still tends to hold the ball and wait for someone to get open when he should hit his back foot and throw the ball. Once he throws an int it is even worse. Something I did notice was he came back from it very quickly this year.

Running Backs = B+ agreed

Receivers = B+ I dont think the wide reciever play was bad i believe they played to their potential. We need to add a tall deep threat.

Offensive Line = D agreed

Defensive Line= B agreed

Linebackers= B-
In the late season there was a decline but in the playoff game I sawthe old D. If they would have played that way all year the Steelers may have only loss one game, to the Pats.

Seconday =C
My only problem is the D needs to make some big plays I believe we were last in ints.

Special Teams =F biggest play in the playoff game was the momentum changing kickoff return by Drew.

Coaching =B- I wont tomlin to assert himself and tell arians when the play call is a bad one.
Old 01-06-2008, 12:45 PM   #5
19ward86
Head Coach

Member Number: 2717

i love doing these types of things, alright here i go:

Quaterback = A Ben has been a key to us winning consistently, defensive secondaries cant play near the line because of his big arm which opens up runs in the second level.
Off-season Needs =a guy to be a 3rd stringer, like omar jacobs...

Running Backs = C+ we had like 6 rushing TDs this season and that is not exceptable, second efforts some time didnt seem to be excistent.
Off-season Needs=iI wouldnt mind picking up Javorski Lane from Texas A&M in the draft to be a goaline back, special teams guy, backup or starting fullback. he could be very useful.

Receivers = A I think that hines had a great checkdown season, his role is becoming easier to define, he is our 3rd down and 5 guy. holmes is breaking out to be a top reciever he is making catches that you see reggie wayne making.
Off-season Needs=Draft a guy who can return with enough speed to get to the outside and make his own plays not rely on our bad blocking.

Offensive Line = D Alan Faneca, Marvel Smith, even with them both playing the left side we couldnt run consistently in my mind, we coldnt throw it without getting sacked a few times a game.
Off-season Needs Trade Marvell Smith for a 2nd round pick, we get a 3rd round pick for alan, put kendall simmons at center, put starks at LG, Kemaeotu at RG, Colon at RT and then draft a LT,Trai Essex looks like he can handle a few starts next season.

Defensive Line= C I think i would rather see Keisel at a LB position where he stands up and drops into coverage more often, Keisel and Smith didnt get to the QB enough.
Off-Season Needs=Free agent or Rookie.

Linebackers= A+ 99.9%, it would of been 100% but haggans didnt get enough pressure on the QB last season.
Off-season Needs=Start Woodley over Haggans next season and then draft a late round linebacker to add depth.

Seconday =B Ike taylor is proving every year that he is becoming a shutdown corner, maybe he cant catch but he also stops others from catching the ball, mcfadden looks like a bust, and deshea is solid but not enough speed on the field and it was obvious that we missed ryan clark.
Off-Season Needs=A safety in FA and some corners in the draft that resemble william gay.

Special Teams =F, Jeff Reed gets and A, Sepulveda gets a C, and returning and covering both get big fat Fs. Jeff was great but Sepulveda was dissapointing i thought a 2 time Ray Guy award winner would be able to kick it farthur.
Off-Season Needs=Draft some linebackers that can block and some running backs with a return man.

Coaching =A I think Tomlin did a great job at keeping things in tradition, he made them like him. Dick had a good season but he should of decided to play Timmons more and Woodley more for experience. I think Bruce had a good playcalling season but didnt design very many good plays.
Off-Season Needs=Special Teams coach.
Old 01-06-2008, 01:00 PM   #6
Elvis
Banned

Member Number: 2390

Special Teams =F, Jeff Reed gets and A, Sepulveda gets a C, and returning and covering both get big fat Fs. Jeff was great but Sepulveda was dissapointing i thought a 2 time Ray Guy award winner would be able to kick it farthur.
Off-Season Needs=Draft some linebackers that can block and some running backs with a return man.

Reed had a great year as far as kicking FG's in my opinion. And how many punts did our rookie punter that obviously no one likes put inside the opp. 20 yard line?. About 10 times as many a Gardocki did in 2 years or more combined. He is gonna be very good and I think that he averaged over 42 yards a punt

I think that our team MVP this year had to be Ben. He set records for TDs this season and made a Huge Difference in his performance from last season. He could have very easily hung his head last night in the early 2nd half.. but he didnt ... He kept his head up and just kept playing and led us to should have been a victory.
QB= A
RB= B-
WR= (Hines & Holmes ) A (Rest of team=F)
TE= B
OL= F
DL= (Aaron Smith A) Rest D
LB= C (Harrison A)
DB= Compared to last year?...B+
S= D
P= B
PK= B
ST= Dont even go there!!
Elvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 01:12 PM   #7
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 7,107 Times in 3,198 Posts

Quarterback - A - Ben progressed as he would have in 2006 but for the motorcycle accident, appendectomy & concussion - he is clearly one of the top 5 QBs in the league on the shelf below Brady & Peyton

Running back - B plus - Wilie P. had excellent yardage until hurt but the runs (probably due to the horrible OL) were in many cases gain 1, lose 2, gain 8 by bouncing it outside). Najeh is not a power back but had good moments.

Receivers - B - the OL problems forced Heath Miller to help block rather than be the consistent force we saw last night; the loss of Tuman hurt and Spaeth was a cipher.
Ward played better the second half of the year while Holmes showed flashes of brillliance but was hobbled by injuries WR depth behind the starters is thin.

Offensive line - D - they could not pass protect but could not run block either. A total disaster that requires a total rebuild.

Defensive line - B minus - Hampton was not totally dominant inside as in the past and the run D was slipping even before Aaron Smith was hurt

Linebackers - B - A for Harrison and A- for Farrior. Haggans was a non-factor on the pass rush the second half of the season and Foote was not as effective as in previous years. Woodley played well and IMO Woodley & Timmons start next year.

Secondary - C plus - bounceback year for Taylor and Townsend played within his limits. Losing Clark was a major blow at safety, as Anthony Smith was not ready for prime time while another injury plagued season by Troy was both a disappointment and a concern for the future.

Special teams - D - kickers were adequate and Reed was outstanding on FGs but the kick coverage teams should cost the ST coach his job while Rossum provided nothing other than not fumbling on returns after the 1 TD return in September

Coaching - B minus - Arians helped develop Ben while continuing to make odd calls (pass happy in Denver, throw on 3rd & flanker run on 4th and goal in New England, the 3rd and 6 QB run last night) - Madden was calling Arians out on plays like the red zone screens last night more than I recall Madden usually going after the playcalling. LeBeau is either not calling the blitzes like he used to or the league has figured out the zone blitz - Steelers never really worked out meshing LeBeau's attacking style & Tomlin's Cover 2 preferences. ST coach should be fired and the OL coach certainly does nothing to raise the level of play of his crew. I like Tomlin's presence but his team was not ready to play in the first half of several games against inferior teams and, while injuries were a big factor, the team finished badly + was objectively worse in November & December than it was in September & October.

Grade for the season - B
Atlanta Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 01:22 PM   #8
d2609j
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 8095

QB- B- , The bottom line is Ben has never stepped up in any big games throughout his time with the Steelers. Including this year. His play was better this year, than last but truthfully how could it not be. I see a arrogant young kid who the steelers are going to spend a boat load on this offseason that needs to work on his game, and professionalism. (ie. Throwing Wiz and Cowher under the bus all year.)

RB- B, The line did not help us out much, but man I miss The BUS. This is an area that definately needs to be improved in the off season.

WR. B- Alot of dropped balls. We need to improve this area also. Washington is a RFA this year. Will they pay him and Wilson? Holmes will be a star in this league. I only hope we extend him and it is with us.

OL. F, First three rounds of the draft should be spent to this position. Mahan is not the answer at C. We should have drafted a Center last year. Move Mahan to G. and draft a C. Thanks for the memories Alan.

DL. C+. Hampton needs to play better. Losing Aaron Smith killed us.

LB. B-, Age is catching up with this group. Woodley is a nice fit. Simmons was a complete no show. Haggans im sure is gone. We will need to get a work in progress guy late in the draft for 2-3 yrs down the road.

DBs C, Injuries hurt us, but can we get some guys that can catch a ball. we need to address the safty position. William Gay will be good down the road

ST. Reed-A Sepulveda-C. Return and coverage tems--F. Accounted for 2-3 losses this year, including the Playoff game.

Coaching. C- Still not sold on Tomlin. I think we might be in for a long 4-5 years. No emotion, no fire, horrible 1st draft, but Big Ben likes him so that counts for something. Play calling this year was terrible from OC. Lebau did ok with all the injuries. Need new special teams coaches. We should have stayed with Grimm.

Offseason. get rid of Wilson or Washington and bring in a WR. OL first 3 rounds of draft. If Ben is so worried about losing Fanaca, he should step up and do what Brady or Manning did. Help the team out a little bit. Keep some of your teamates.
d2609j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 01:24 PM   #9
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984

Quote:
Originally Posted by d2609j View Post
The bottom line is Ben has never stepped up in any big games throughout his time with the Steelers. Including this year.
Yeah, he really blew in the '05 playoffs. Without Ben, this team would have been 6-10 this year, and that's being generous. As far as "staying with Grimm" (presumably as HC), how many other teams interviewed him for HC? Maybe there's something the Rooneys know that we don't?
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 01:31 PM   #10
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 7,107 Times in 3,198 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by d2609j View Post
QB- B- , The bottom line is Ben has never stepped up in any big games throughout his time with the Steelers. Including this year.

Coaching. C- We should have stayed with Grimm.

Have to disagree with you on Ben - with that OL he had an outstanding season and played very well in the three pre-SB playoff games in 2005, notably Denver.

As for staying with Grimm, the bartenders of Pittsburgh no doubt wish that happened, but are you saying he should have been hired as HC? He certainly was not staying once Tomlin was hired and is not on any top 10 list of HC candidates I have seen lately. The rot in the OL set in while that was still Grimm's baby.

Definitely agree the 2007 draft appears to be underwhelming at this point.
Atlanta Dan is online now   Reply With Quote