Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 01-06-2008, 01:38 PM   #11
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 3,639 Times in 1,572 Posts
Default Re: SteelCityMan's 2007 Season Report Card

Quote:
QB- B- , The bottom line is Ben has never stepped up in any big games throughout his time with the Steelers. Including this year.
WTF.....how did we make it to the sb in 2005 ???

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 02:07 PM   #12
BlastFurnace
Living Legend

Member Number: 6321

QB

Ben - A
Batch - C

Great year by Ben. Without him, we are a 6-10 team. With him, we have something to build on and are always a SB contender.

RB

Parker - A
Davenport - C+
Davis - B
Others - C

Parker's injury affect was clearly seen yesterday. Some of the 5 yard runs by Najeh would have been 15-20 with Willie. Najeh runs too soft for this team and our needs for a bruising RB late in games...that falls forward for yardage...is crucial. We need to upgrade here. Davis must have been doing something right to be the lead blocker for the leading rusher through 14 weeks...since we know the OL didn't help much.
I want to see more of Russell.

WR

Ward - B+
Holmes - B+
Washington - C
Wilson - C+

Ward has the biggest heart on the team. I love to watch him play and I hate that he is getting older. Holmes is a special receiver. We just need to keep his hammy's healthy. Washington is a good #3, but his hands can drive you crazy. Wilson is a good WR, but just doesn't get the chance.

We need a Drew Bennett, Ed McCaffrey, Joe Juravicous type of receiver. A big, tall guy who catches everything thrown his way.

TE

Miller - A
Spaeth - C+
Tuman - Inc

Miller is great, but has to stay in and block too much due to our OL problems. I think he can do for us what Jason Witten does for Dallas if given the chance. Spaeth needs to get stronger and block someone for a change. He does have good hands and is a dependable receiver though. Tuman, IMO, was a big loss for our TE position. I have always liked Tuman. He is a good receiver and a decent blocker.

OL

Smith - C+
Faneca - D+
Mahan - F
Simmons - C-
Colon - D

53 sacks through 17 games is terrible...any way you slice it. Mahan might be our worst FA signing since Donnell Woolford. Marvell Smith, IMO, is on his last leg due to injuries. Simmons was a panic sign by the Steelers last training camp. I wish we didn't have so much wrapped up in him. Colon is better suited inside...at Simmons position. It's sad that your most memorable and perhaps best performances of the season were turned in by Starks and Essex. Last night's game will be enough for Essex to return. Max's injury may make him affordable again. Faneca might want to join the Wizard of Oz crew and search for his $8 Million a year somewhere else, because he won't get it from the Steelers and he isn't worth that any longer.

O'Line is a must 1st round pick for the Steelers next draft.

DL

Smith - A
Hampton - B
Keisel - C-
Hoke - C+
Eason - D

Aaron Smith solidified himself as the defensive MVP of this team for his ability to eat up blockers, get pressure on the QB, swallow up runners, and keep Hampton from being double teamed. Hampton had a decent year, but when teams didn't have to worry about Smith any longer, they focused on Hampton and it hurt his effectiveness.
The coaching staff still thinks that Keisel can be played like Adalius Thomas when he was with Baltimore. Brett is not as good or as fast as Adalius. Another problem with Keisel is that he does not take more than one lineman up to block him. More than ever, this DL unit needs to get younger and get some more depth.

LB

Harrison - A
Farrior - C+
Foote - C
Haggans - D
Woodley - B+
Timmons - Inc.

Next year, Woodley better be the starter. Timmons needs a place to start as well, but if the coaching staff does not think that Foote needs to be replaced, where does he play. The problem with Foote is that he needs an extremely strong cast around him to be effective. He is not big enough nor fast enough to be a difference maker by himself. When the other 3 LB's are not playing at a high level, Foote is a liability. Farrior is just slowing down. He's still effective, but age is creeping up on him.
Haggans is finished.

DB

Taylor - B+
Townsend - B
McFadden - B
Gay - C
Polamalu - B
Clark - B
Smith - F
Carter - C

Taylor is a strong starting CB. If he had better hands, he would be talked about as much as Champ Bailey. McFadden needs to take the reigns next season. He's a good, physical corner that can help the Steelers have a really nice CB combination. Townsend can still play, but like Farrior, age is creeping up on him. Gay is young, but showed some promise. You never heard him causing penalties or getting burned much.

Polamalu, I am convinced, has been kidnapped by Kendrell Bell with all his injuries that past 2 seasons. Seriously, I am worried about Troy. He plays with a ton of heart, but just has been hurt too much the past two seasons with shoulder, knee, rib cartiledge, and I think a concussion or two. We need him, but I'm not sure we can count on him for an entire season any longer. Clark's value was clearly shown when he got sick in Denver. He solidified the secondary and his loss coincided with our problems back there. Anthony Smith is a big hitter, but nothing else. Plays so undisciplined that he reminds me of Delton Hall from the 1980's. Carter is just limited by his physical attributes. He is a reserve that has been pressed into a starting role.

OC - B

Obviously, Ben was more comfortable this season and his stats and play showed it. I think Arians get's a bad rap by most Steelers fans. His playcalling at the end of the game yesterday was horrendous, but the playcalling for the 3rd and most of the 4th QTR had Jacksonville reeling.

DC - C+

LeBeau's defense sure looked a lot better when Woodley was in there instead of Haggans. Dick still has something left in the tank. I'm just not sure how much longer he wants to do this. I hope for atleast 2 more seasons. The grade is lower than a B because of the amount of game ending drives the defense gave up to either tie or win the game for the other team.

HC - B+

Tomlin did a great job this year. The only problem is that somehow he has to get the mindset changed amongst the team that we cannot play down to our competition when playing losing teams. As much as I hate a certain winning team in the AFC that will not be named...I love how they go out to destroy everyone they play from start to finish. What I do really like about Tomlin is that he has the drive, passion, and dedication that will make him a long term success in Pittsburgh. Rumor has it that he is already thinking about next season.....I love that!

The changes needed on our coaching staff must include OL and ST coach. St. Louis had the worst ST unit in the league when Coach Lig was there and he brought that to Pittsburgh with him. Like I said in another thread, I hate to see a man lose his job, but if Tomlin doesn't do something here, it will forever be a weak link of this team. The O'line was so bad and regressed to badly that I wouldn't mind seeing a change at the O'line coach as well. Who knows, Hartings retirement may have really created the problem, but it's clear that we need some better development of our younger players as well.

Last edited by BlastFurnace; 01-06-2008 at 06:28 PM.
BlastFurnace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 02:31 PM   #13
Rhee Rhee
Head Coach

Member Number: 7579

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityMan786 View Post
Seconday =C Pretty much average starting with the 2nd half of the pats game till the end of the year. I was probably the most frustrated with this group then any of them. If this group does not change over the off-season in terms of how they develop in mini camp and training camp, expect more of the same play to happen next year
Off-Season Needs=More likely a shutdown corner
ur a little tough on the secondary dont u think? sure they got lit up by the patriots.. who didnt? through at least 3/4 of the season we played great ball behind all our blitzing linebackers..
Old 01-06-2008, 02:33 PM   #14
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhee Rhee View Post
ur a little tough on the secondary dont u think? sure they got lit up by the patriots.. who didnt? through at least 3/4 of the season we played great ball behind all our blitzing linebackers..
Agreed - how quickly folks forget "Charred" Scott, DeWayne "Burnt Toast" Washington, and Lee "Paper Champions" Flowers, isn't it? Can't say I blame them - I try to push nightmares to the back of my mind as well.

Last edited by fansince'76; 01-06-2008 at 03:08 PM. Reason: Typo
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 02:37 PM   #15
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

Member Number: 541

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhee Rhee View Post
Maybe a bit. C+ to a B- at best. But then again I want to leave them room for improvement.

786 Ways To Score Touchdowns
SteelCityMan786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 02:51 PM   #16
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 3,639 Times in 1,572 Posts

QB ...A -....Ben carried this team all season, and proved he's up there with the elite.he still tends to hold the ball to long, and needs to work on reads.

RB...B -.....When the coaching staff is calling pass plays on the goal line, that shows lack of confidience to get the tuff yards. lack of td's from the backs needs to improve.

WR...C +....to many dropped balls, and no consistency from the slot.

OL ...D -...inconsistent run blocking, absolutely horrible pass blocking. if something isn't done about this group, we'll be looking for a new QB.

DL ...C +...age is starting to show, and lack of quality backups were exposed this group gets very little QB pressure.

LBER....C +... missed tackles, decline in sacks and QB pressure, and very few big plays from this group is how i'll remember this unit. hopefully woodley and timmons will bring back the title " heart and soul " of the D.

DB....C+... did a great job at the beginning of the year ,with not giving up the big plays, but the flip side is, they made very few big plays !!! 11 int 's tied for the league worst. ike and deshea had descent years, but the poor play from safetys overshadowed them. injuries were a big factor.

ST,,,,D... Jeff reed was great on field goals, but still needs to get the ball past the 10 on kickoffs. sepulvada, did not justify his 4th rd pick, both sides of the return games was terrible

coaching...C +.. special teams and oline coaches should be fired today !!! i like what arians has done with developing ben, but his play calling has been questionable at times. lebeau seemed to have trouble with adjustments in some games, and his blitz packages were ineffective for the most part. tomlin gets a pass this year,but there were some games where the team looked flat and unprepared. he needs to learn how to motivate.

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

Last edited by MasterOfPuppets; 01-06-2008 at 04:29 PM.
MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 04:50 PM   #17
d2609j
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 8095

Quote:
Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
Yeah, he really blew in the '05 playoffs. Without Ben, this team would have been 6-10 this year, and that's being generous. As far as "staying with Grimm" (presumably as HC), how many other teams interviewed him for HC? Maybe there's something the Rooneys know that we don't?
I stand corrected, His Denver game in 05 was good. But he has far more bad (horrible) games than good in playoffs. Jets 04, Pats 04, Seahawks 05, Jags 07. But lets be honest, he lost as many games this year as he won for us. Including this playoff game. As for Tomlin. Im saying Im not sold on him yet. He won this year with alot of Cowhers players. When your punter gets Team rookie of he year, that does not set well for your 1st draft. I guarantee this team plays harder, works harder, goes farther with Grimm as the coach. And our offensive line doesnt give up 45+ sacks. Thats My Opinion.
d2609j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 04:59 PM   #18
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984

Quote:
Originally Posted by d2609j View Post
I stand corrected, His Denver game in 05 was good. But he has far more bad (horrible) games than good in playoffs. Jets 04, Pats 04, Seahawks 05, Jags 07. But lets be honest, he lost as many games this year as he won for us. Including this playoff game. As for Tomlin. Im saying Im not sold on him yet. He won this year with alot of Cowhers players. When your punter gets Team rookie of he year, that does not set well for your 1st draft. I guarantee this team plays harder, works harder, goes farther with Grimm as the coach. And our offensive line doesnt give up 45+ sacks. Thats My Opinion.
His performances in Cincy and Indy on the road in '05 were pretty damn good too. Yeah, it was Ben's fault that the D gave up last minute game-winning drives in Denver and NY. As much as you may not want to admit it, this team doesn't sniff the postseason without Ben this year. As far as Sep getting the team rook award, he is the only one who played. Think Woodley's a bust? As far as Grimm goes, once again, how many other teams have interviewed him for their HC job if he truly is HC material?

Last edited by fansince'76; 01-06-2008 at 05:20 PM.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 05:02 PM   #19
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 7,124 Times in 3,206 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by d2609j View Post
I guarantee this team plays harder, works harder, goes farther with Grimm as the coach. And our offensive line doesnt give up 45+ sacks. Thats My Opinion.
The OL was horrible in 2006 when Grimm coached it

The team laid down in 2006 - where were Grimm's motivational skills then?

Just my opinion
Atlanta Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 06:06 PM   #20
TackleMeBen
Southern Belle
Supporter

Location: where all the cute men are(especially the one in my avatar)
Member Number: 4435

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
The OL was horrible in 2006 when Grimm coached it

The team laid down in 2006 - where were Grimm's motivational skills then?

Just my opinion
i have to agree with Dan here. Grimm isnt HC material especially in Pittsburgh. and if he had gotten the job and we had a record like baltimore or cincy people would be ready to run him out of town and say that the rooney's should have went outside to get a HC.

and for OC.. i hear that jim hostler is available..lol...

In memory of my brother Michael, who gave me my love of sports. I will miss you!
TackleMeBen is offline   Reply With Quote