Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Steelers Draft Central > ** The War Room 2012 **

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 01-07-2008, 10:05 PM   #11
Aussie_steeler
Head Coach

Member Number: 5037
Default Re: Our Depth Chart... What do we need now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamberts-lost-tooth View Post

For instance....Center is obviously a huge need...but I wouldnt use anything more thatn a 4th round pick on center based on who is coming out this year and the difference in talent between projected 2-3 round centers and 4-5 round centers. In the 4th or 5th rounds we can probably get Doug Legursky from Marshall or Fernando Velasco from Georgia.
I agree totally LLT. I see a roll of the dice for a late round center and hope we find gold. At worst they wont be worse than Mahan. The centers projected to go round 2-3 just seem to be a little light to handle the huge NT's in our division. They can get away with it at their weight in college football but they would get mauled in the NFL.

I just feel that we will have to wait another year to possibly draft a franchise center in the first round who can play the position to the expectations of steelers management and also the fans. Another year will also allow the offence to find their true identity (power running or pass/run balance) and match the center to it.
Old 01-08-2008, 02:29 AM   #12
Rhee Rhee
Head Coach

Member Number: 7579

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Duke View Post
Oh please, stop it with deangello hall! can't you see he would suck in pittsburgh?

as much as a "playmaker" he might be he won't fit with the steelers defense. he can't play the run, he's too weak for that. and the rooney's do not get players with the stupid attitude Hall has.
what do u think of marcus trufant?
Old 01-08-2008, 03:37 AM   #13
The Duke
Living Legend

Member Number: 4800

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhee Rhee View Post
what do u think of marcus trufant?
now you're talking

the team that gets Trufant gets a really good all around player.

sadly the steelers won't get him, he's going to be paid a very large contract and very well deserved.

Drayton Florence could be someone the steelers pick. he's not bad, but he's not the best either,a middle tier free agent, but a solid player. he could replace townsend down the stretch. it could be between him and B Mac for the #2 CB spot
The Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 04:38 AM   #14
jjpro11
Living Legend

Member Number: 3559

why does everyone always want another CB? this is probably the least of our worries right now. when we got burned in the secondary this year, it was primarily at the safety position. this is due in large part to the injuries of clark and polamalu. i like our depth at CB with ike, deshea, mcfadden, and gay. i wouldnt be against taking a physical corner in the middle rounds of the draft, but we have higher priorities right now - fixing the entire oline, depth on the dline, depth at linebacker, depth at WR, and a physical running back to spell parker and possibly replace davenport.
jjpro11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 04:39 AM   #15
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie_steeler View Post
I agree totally LLT. I see a roll of the dice for a late round center and hope we find gold. At worst they wont be worse than Mahan. The centers projected to go round 2-3 just seem to be a little light to handle the huge NT's in our division.
Exactly...most of the centers slated to go in those rounds look more like zone blocking centers...The two centers that both of us seem to agree on ...Legursky and Velasco....are big strong "nasty" centers who could hold their own in a phone booth.
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 04:55 AM   #16
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by jppro11
why does everyone always want another CB?

Alot of that has to do with value...I know when I was fooling around and looking at possible draft picks...I could find Very good value at Tackle in the 1st round...Guard in the 3rd round..DE and Center in the 4th and 5th round. In the 2nd, however, I always seemed to be "reaching" for a player that gave me little more value then those players that I could get later.
The exception was at CB and WR. In the second we might be able to pick up CB's like Lowery or possible Rodgers-Cromartie, or pick up a WR like D.J. Hall ( if he slips a bit ) or Limas Sweed, if he runs a 4.54 40 like it has been said he does.
I would go CB.... only becaue there will be more affordable WR's in the UFA class this year like Justin Gage and Hackett..that may fit our system and upgrade our team. With the UFA CB's...that doesnt seem to be the case, especially in regards to affordability.
Old 01-08-2008, 10:05 PM   #17
The Duke
Living Legend

Member Number: 4800

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjpro11 View Post
why does everyone always want another CB?
only reason I want a CB is cause of Deshea's age. but I like our depth and talent at the position as of right now
The Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 03:16 PM   #18
EmDoubleU
Water Boy

Member Number: 7388

We NEED to resign Faneca. Pay him whatever he wants. That will allow us to add best available in first round:
1. OTs: Gosder Cherilus-B.C. left or right tackle, Michael Oher-Ole Miss left tackle, WRs: James Hardy, Limas Sweed if available. We NEED a WR upgrade, hines is going to continue to dominate but underneath routes mostly.

Also, Faneca will play at a high level for at lest 3 more years and we could possible move him to center if need be. No body in the draft is better than him at guard. However, If we resign Faneca will that put us in a bind for resigning some heath, harrison, or other young upcoming contracts?
EmDoubleU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 03:24 PM   #19
Jeremy
Banned

Member Number: 2579

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamberts-lost-tooth View Post
Alot of that has to do with value...I know when I was fooling around and looking at possible draft picks...I could find Very good value at Tackle in the 1st round...Guard in the 3rd round..DE and Center in the 4th and 5th round. In the 2nd, however, I always seemed to be "reaching" for a player that gave me little more value then those players that I could get later.
The exception was at CB and WR. In the second we might be able to pick up CB's like Lowery or possible Rodgers-Cromartie, or pick up a WR like D.J. Hall ( if he slips a bit ) or Limas Sweed, if he runs a 4.54 40 like it has been said he does.
I would go CB.... only becaue there will be more affordable WR's in the UFA class this year like Justin Gage and Hackett..that may fit our system and upgrade our team. With the UFA CB's...that doesnt seem to be the case, especially in regards to affordability.
My answer is far simpler. A guy like Antoine Cason is better than either corner the Steelers have right now. Talib from Kansas is in then same boat.
Jeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 03:43 PM   #20
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
My answer is far simpler. A guy like Antoine Cason is better than either corner the Steelers have right now. Talib from Kansas is in then same boat.
The only problem with that...is that both Cason & Talib are graded as first rounders. Are you suggesting we bypass the O-Line in the first round for a CB?