Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 01-06-2008, 07:14 PM   #1
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353
Default For the LAST time, Bruce Arians is NOT THE PROBLEM!

Jesus, people, read more or study up on the game or something! Arians called a brilliant game last night, and if you can't recognize, you don't understand the game of football. The first drive was thing of beauty. They marched right down the field and scored. That set the pace for a clinic on offensive play calling.

Arians ran Ben out of the pocket on boots and waggles. The Steelers ran sprint draws and screen plays. There were 3 step slant plays mixed in with the usual 7 step crossing patterns. They ran out of passing formations and threw out of running formations. The whole play book was open last night, and, had the Steelers executed the plays as they were called, they'd have had a convincing win.

I said this once, and I'll say it again. The 3rd and 7 when Ben ran a boot left was a good play. Tomlin called it (or at least approved it). They worked on it all week, and the Jags had a favorable defense, so the Steelers ran the play. Trai Essex admitted after the game that he was confused about his assignment and he missed the key block.

If you want to pin the whole game on one play, that's fine. But it was Essex that effed up, not Arians.
Old 01-06-2008, 07:21 PM   #2
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 3,273 Times in 1,398 Posts
Default Re: For the LAST time, Bruce Arians is NOT THE PROBLEM!

I AGREE REVS......myself and a few others here often suggested more 3 step drops, slants,and designed roll outs. minus the 3 picks,which i'm pretty sure none were designed to go to the defenders..., ben had a heck of a game ! the jags never stopped the steeler drives, the steelers,stopped the steeler drives. what was bens completion % ??? about 69% ???

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 07:28 PM   #3
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 5,762 Times in 2,664 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by revefsreleets View Post
Jesus, people, read more or study up on the game or something! Arians called a brilliant game last night, and if you can't recognize, you don't understand the game of football. The first drive was thing of beauty. They marched right down the field and scored. That set the pace for a clinic on offensive play calling.

Arians ran Ben out of the pocket on boots and waggles. The Steelers ran sprint draws and screen plays. There were 3 step slant plays mixed in with the usual 7 step crossing patterns. They ran out of passing formations and threw out of running formations. The whole play book was open last night, and, had the Steelers executed the plays as they were called, they'd have had a convincing win.

I said this once, and I'll say it again. The 3rd and 7 when Ben ran a boot left was a good play. Tomlin called it (or at least approved it). They worked on it all week, and the Jags had a favorable defense, so the Steelers ran the play. Trai Essex admitted after the game that he was confused about his assignment and he missed the key block.

If you want to pin the whole game on one play, that's fine. But it was Essex that effed up, not Arians.
Rev - might you at least consider giving it a rest about about anyone who criticizes Arians not understanding the game of football?

Madden called him out repeatedly for the playcalling last night - Cowher questioned the 3rd and 7 call on CBS today - are you saying Madden and Cowher do not know anything about football?

Every play looks good on paper - had they run that bootleg successfully for at least 5 yards in a game all season? Not quite the same as breaking it big in practice.

I liked the playcalling scheme last night but it was not a flawless game and whoever schemed the last possession up 29-28 had a brain cramp

All hail Bruce Arians
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 07:37 PM   #4
The Duke
Living Legend

Member Number: 4800

sorry Rev, but unfortunately that's not gonna shut up some fans. some of them actually think firing arians is the solution, I guess they think they an do a better job.

and like I said before, they must be new to the steelers not to remember much worse coordinators than Bruce.

some fans just want all at the same time but the simple reality is that it ain't gonna happen. you want a perfect team, jump on the pats bandwagon, it's still pretty early. good luck living with the * though

Arians is a fine O coodinator, he's not the best, but he could coach most teams

Last edited by The Duke; 01-06-2008 at 07:59 PM.
The Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 07:47 PM   #5
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Member Number: 2550

You're wasting your time and your bandwidth, rev. Those who don't like Arians are going to bash him no matter what facts you put in front of them.
Old 01-06-2008, 07:53 PM   #6
PisnNapalm
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 1225

I'm not sold on Arians yet.

I DO NOT like pass plays in a 2nd or 3rd and goal from the 1 or 2 yard line. WE SHOULD be able to get a good push off the snap and get those 1 or 2 yards. They called those stupid pass plays more than a few times this season.

Anyone here remember that play where they had Hines come across for a hand off and try to score?? The whole freaking world saw it coming and the play failed.

I do not think he's incompetent but I'm not completely sold on him yet.
Old 01-06-2008, 08:02 PM   #7
BlastFurnace
Living Legend

Member Number: 6321

Quote:
Originally Posted by revefsreleets View Post

I agree that Arians is not the problem. I still don't like the call on 3rd and 6, but I do not have a problem with Arians as a whole.
BlastFurnace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 09:16 PM   #8
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
Rev - might you at least consider giving it a rest about about anyone who criticizes Arians not understanding the game of football?

Madden called him out repeatedly for the playcalling last night - Cowher questioned the 3rd and 7 call on CBS today - are you saying Madden and Cowher do not know anything about football?

Every play looks good on paper - had they run that bootleg successfully for at least 5 yards in a game all season? Not quite the same as breaking it big in practice.

I liked the playcalling scheme last night but it was not a flawless game and whoever schemed the last possession up 29-28 had a brain cramp

All hail Bruce Arians
Did Madden and Cowher make their calls AFTER the press conference, when all was revealed?

Of course not. Look, dude, at the risk of you knee-jerking and putting me on ignore again, you are just wrong. I know it sucks to be wrong, but you're wrong. Unless you are saying that Trai Essex was not at fault on his missed block (that he admitted to after the game) or you are saying that Tomlin did not actually call the play (and he admitted he did after the game), or that the Steelers didn't work on that play all week looking for that defensive set (Again, Tomlin said as much)then you are wrong.

It ain't me you're arguing with this time...
Old 01-06-2008, 09:28 PM   #9
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Duke View Post
sorry Rev, but unfortunately that's not gonna shut up some fans. some of them actually think firing arians is the solution, I guess they think they an do a better job.

and like I said before, they must be new to the steelers not to remember much worse coordinators than Bruce.

some fans just want all at the same time but the simple reality is that it ain't gonna happen. you want a perfect team, jump on the pats bandwagon, it's still pretty early. good luck living with the * though

Arians is a fine O coodinator, he's not the best, but he could coach most teams
I agree Duke - 100%. When the D has a bad game due to lack of execution, Lebeau gets shellacked. When the O doesn't execute a play properly, Arians is the scapegoat du jour. Both Ben and Tomlin said in their post-game comments that the play in question was the correct call due to what they both saw on the field at that moment, and that's all the confirmation I need. They are the professionals, not us.

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 09:29 PM   #10
IslandSteeler
Water Boy

Member Number: 6048

Whether Tomlin or Arians called that play, I still think that 3rd down call was horrible. The Steelers we getting no where with the run all game. Hines and Miller were catching everything thrown their way and Ben was on fire in the second half. If the steelers were 3rd and 3 fine, but that's a very low percentage play for 3rd and 6 against a strong defensive team.

As for Arians, I don't really mind him overall. I do hate those wr screens, though. I don't think they fit our wrs at all. And I really miss the days of a big back, nothing Arians can do about that though.
IslandSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote