Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

LOL

Old 01-06-2008, 11:12 PM   #1
smaki21
Water Boy

Member Number: 5889
Default Defense next year

So here is how im seeing the defense play out next year.. start going to more of that hybrid everyone was talking so much about and it will look a little like this

right end kiesel, than hampton and hoke or smith, and woodley at left end. harrison right outside farrior or foote in the middle and timmons left outside ala derrick brooks. and with woodleys versatility he can be the one to step back at any time making it into a 3-4. That way we would have timmons in the middle in footes spot and woodley outside behind smith and on the other side we'd have harrison and farrior behind kiesel with hampton taking up the whole middle.

This is what im predicting because tomlin wanted timmons and compared him to derrick brooks so dont you think hed want to use him that way? and now with a whole offseason to implement things and not worrying about all the coaches hiring and first year coach stuff hell be able to get a lot of his defensive stuff in.

sound good or what?
smaki21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 11:21 PM   #2
TheMightyEx
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 8059
Default Re: Defense next year

I think our LBs, which outside of Harrison were mediocre will again be an area of strength with Woodley rushing from the outside. Having Aaron Smith healthy will heal the DL and fix our run stopping but we maintain a serious lack of depth at that position. A first day pick should go to the DL and we need to get a solid ST playing linebacker in the Harrison mold to backup at OLB.

Timmons needs to step up next year. If he busts it wounds us deeply.

The D-backfield is a strength but we need to think about where we're going in the future. B-Mac is a RFA and Townsend is going to be 32. If B-Mac isnt going to be a starter for us in the future or we don't plan to keep him we need to find a nickelback than is flexible enough to step in for Smith.

Speaking of, is Anthony Smith finally going to assume a starters role? Smith is more explosive than Clark but a total liability in coverage. We can't solve all our Defensive problems in the draft if we are planning to targect the OL with picks. We would do well to continue improving our team speed.

In sum, our front 7 should be just fine except for depth issues on the right side. Our DBs are a question mark, especially after '08.
TheMightyEx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 01:03 AM   #3
OneForTheToe
Living Legend

Member Number: 2408

If we would go to the four man line as our base D, I would think it would be Smith and “Big Snack” inside and Kiesel and Woodley at the ends. You could put Hoke in there and leave Smith at End, but I like the idea of “Hokey- pokey” backing up both Smith and Hampton. We would need more depth at D line in a hurry if we did this as well. While both are still very good in the 3-4 you might argue that putting Hampton and Smith inside on a four man line might extend their effective careers. I do believe that the combination of Smith and Hampton would be dominate inside. In addition, Kiesel would be great in a four man line. However, I'm not sure I like what the 4-3 would do to our linebacker corp.

At the momen,t I have these happy images of Harrison and Woodly pinching in on quarterbacks from both sides in a Lebeau type scheme. I'm not sure if Harrison would be as effective as and outside backer in a 4-3. Also, Woodly seems ready to explode at Haggan's position and we are suddenly going to make him switch back to d'line? Finally, I am not sure we have a middle linebacker with enough range to play in a 3 linebacker defense. Farrior could be that guy when he was younger, but I'm not sure now.

So, I guess what am hoping is that Lebeau comes back for another year at least and that we don't switch until we have some additional personnel.
OneForTheToe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 08:54 AM   #4
Buzz05
Team Captain

Member Number: 2482

Its true Farrior may have lost a step. But I still like him as the defensive captain out there. He is still a good Linebacker. Foote is another one who does a lot fo the dirty work but gets little credit. I would like to see Woodley take over Haggans place and have him and Harrison taking out QB's from both sides. Haggans lacks the speed that Woodley brings. Over all with Harrison, Farrior, Foote, and Woodley I think we have a good core group. Timmons would be a good sub for the next year. keep in mind he got very few snaps this year due to injury. So I say move him to inside backer and when Farrior steps down Im going to say after this year plug him in.

However I agree, if they go to the hybrid more next year throw Woodley down at the line with Timmins standing. Who will seriously be able to with stand that amount of speed on one side.

Forgot to add...if Lebeau decides to retire I have one name who I want to see come in....Monty Kiffin. He is not under contract next year.
Buzz05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 09:30 AM   #5
Eztarget
Starter

Member Number: 162

Lack of depth at the DL position KILLED this team. The minute Aaron Smith went down our #1 ranked rushing D looked like a broken Levee. We need to draft DL to shore that spot up. Hampton is getting old and it showed this year. He used to get a big push into the backfield and I noticed that less and less this year. With Aaron gone our LBers were stretched thinner. We had too many games this year where the other QB had all day to get the ball off. We made Garrard look like Elway out there at times. It just goes to prove if you give any NFL QB time he will find someone.
Eztarget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 09:45 AM   #6
Counselor
Starter

Member Number: 5075

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eztarget View Post
Lack of depth at the DL position KILLED this team. The minute Aaron Smith went down our #1 ranked rushing D looked like a broken Levee. We need to draft DL to shore that spot up. Hampton is getting old and it showed this year. He used to get a big push into the backfield and I noticed that less and less this year. With Aaron gone our LBers were stretched thinner. We had too many games this year where the other QB had all day to get the ball off. We made Garrard look like Elway out there at times. It just goes to prove if you give any NFL QB time he will find someone.
Agreed. Our depth at many positions needs improvement.
Counselor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 12:08 PM   #7
Dino 6 Rings
Living Legend

Member Number: 6891

I think the Ravens run a 4-3/3-4 hybrid defense, that is something we may see more of next year, but I also doubt we will ever see a true Cover 2 defense. The colts ran a true Cover 2 until last season, then their Safety became more responsible for run support and their corners played more man to man, and they actually seemed to improve. In the AFC, a true Cover 2 can't control the Wide open offenses that most contenders in the AFC use. The middel deep is way too open often in a Cover 2.

3-4 is the way we are currently built, and regardless of drafts this season, we don't have true 4-3 depth. Plus we have awesome 3-4 linebackers right now.
Dino 6 Rings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 03:03 PM   #8
Rhee Rhee
Head Coach

Member Number: 7579

if it aint broke dont fix it....

our D was still number one as bad as it played toward the end of the season... with guys wrapping up better we could have easily been atop EVERY meaningful defense category... not just yards...

stay with a 3-4 watch woodley become a stud.. let timmons and foote stay there till one gets injured let timmons spell one of 'em keep james at ROLB and our line will be set once we're healthy... besides kirchske and eason got some much needed experience.. and our secondary will be pretty much the same... (although I am pimping deangelo hall to much of ur guys's disbelief and awe)
Old 01-07-2008, 04:07 PM   #9
mopit55
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 2035

for the next year play with 4-3 defense is not so bad with 3-4.in 4-3 aaron smith and keisel outside d-line men , hampton and hoke or a good draft pick def tackle.
mopit55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 04:27 PM   #10
conservativesteelers
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 8118

You have to look at what they absolutely need. All this glitz and glamour they dont' need.. or they can't afford to need right now. They need to upgrade the O line.. then D line and then at the same time get smart players in the draft like the patriots do.. maybe some of them will help out with special teams.
conservativesteelers is offline   Reply With Quote