Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 01-07-2008, 02:16 PM   #1
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 5,797 Times in 2,680 Posts
Default New Ticketholders Revved Up Crowd Saturday?

I thought the crowd sounded particularly hyped up Saturday night (as when Ben raised his arms to quiet them before the snap as Here We Go Steelers boomed away) and atttributed it to drinking since noon, but Ed.B. of the P-G has another view:

[I]Q: Can you ask all of the season ticket holders that sold their tickets to the playoff game, to please do so for every game, and please sell them to same people they did for the Jacksonville game? Best home crowd I have ever been a part of at a Steelers game, by far. Thanks. Chris Bruno, Alexandria, Va.

BOUCHETTE: It was a good crowd, even if there were nearly 1,500 no-shows. I saw a sign that advertised tickets at face value, and I heard stories of people buying tickets below face value and even some who could not give theirs away. Those who turned out did make it one of the loudest games I've heard at Heinz Field and you are right, perhaps the Steelers aging ticket base should sell their seats more often.

http://www.post-gazette.com/steelers/questions/

I know it was a cold rainy night, but 1500 no shows for a playoff game and the rush for the exits in the third quarter of the first Jax game makes me wonder if Ed.B. may be on to the home crowd going down the slippery slope the Atlanta Braves fanbase fell in which the home crowd grew progressively more passive while taking division championships for granted.

I always thought the acoustics kept Heinz from being as rowdy as TRS, but any season tcketholders able to coment on whether the crowd may have gotten more sedate given the natue of fans who have the means to lay out $$$ for personal seat licenses and the fact old time season ticket holders keep the seats as they grow older?
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 02:53 PM   #2
Lord Stiller
Banned

Member Number: 7087
Default Re: New Ticketholders Revved Up Crowd Saturday?

I was there in section 101 and it was awesome!!!!

I am the one that posted the Catch 22 on the Steelers fanbase thread because I was worried the crowd would be lame but it wasnt
Lord Stiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 04:56 PM   #3
Stlrs4Life
Tailgate Coordinator
Supporter

Member Number: 419

I thought the crowd did great Saturday, even when we were down 28-10. There was a few boos at half, but that was right after the INT.

It's not just Steeler Football, it's a way of Life! "I'm a Champion"
Stlrs4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 07:20 PM   #4
Dynasty
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 2396

was there up in 536... there are season tix in my family so i go to several games a year. i don't know how much of it was because of the playoff atmosphere, but the game was crazy loud... easily the loudest one i've been to in a long time. other games have been noticably less loud, only heating up after key plays. the crowd on sat. was constantly yelling.
Old 01-07-2008, 08:10 PM   #5
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009

Damn Steeler fans at Heinz Field.......that was the teams biggest problem this year. Mascot comes in second. Damn ungrateful yuppies. Not sure what's wrong with us local folk......
Old 01-07-2008, 08:20 PM   #6
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
I know it was a cold rainy night
FWIW, it wasn't cold. It was comfortable compared to many of the home games this season. Actually, minus a misty drizzle it wasn't bad at all.
Old 01-07-2008, 10:55 PM   #7
nojobny
Team Captain
Supporter

Member Number: 5924

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
I thought the crowd sounded particularly hyped up Saturday night (as when Ben raised his arms to quiet them before the snap as Here We Go Steelers boomed away) and atttributed it to drinking since noon, but Ed.B. of the P-G has another view:

[I]Q: Can you ask all of the season ticket holders that sold their tickets to the playoff game, to please do so for every game, and please sell them to same people they did for the Jacksonville game? Best home crowd I have ever been a part of at a Steelers game, by far. Thanks. Chris Bruno, Alexandria, Va.

BOUCHETTE: It was a good crowd, even if there were nearly 1,500 no-shows. I saw a sign that advertised tickets at face value, and I heard stories of people buying tickets below face value and even some who could not give theirs away. Those who turned out did make it one of the loudest games I've heard at Heinz Field and you are right, perhaps the Steelers aging ticket base should sell their seats more often.

http://www.post-gazette.com/steelers/questions/

I know it was a cold rainy night, but 1500 no shows for a playoff game and the rush for the exits in the third quarter of the first Jax game makes me wonder if Ed.B. may be on to the home crowd going down the slippery slope the Atlanta Braves fanbase fell in which the home crowd grew progressively more passive while taking division championships for granted.

I always thought the acoustics kept Heinz from being as rowdy as TRS, but any season tcketholders able to coment on whether the crowd may have gotten more sedate given the natue of fans who have the means to lay out $$$ for personal seat licenses and the fact old time season ticket holders keep the seats as they grow older?
A couple of things..

1. Were you at the game?
2. Rush for the exits in the 3rd quarter, I saw a rush right before the half and the rtn to seats was a little slower than normal.
3. Cold, not really. I've sat through waaaay colder nights at Heinz. And rainy, no again. It a was drizzly at best. It didn't start raining hard until I was in my car on the way home.
4. what's up with your animosity towards newer season ticket holders? You do realize that the wait for tickets is years, if not decades. I waited 18 for mine and this is only my 6th season. I'm trying to figure out what you mean by 'nature of the fan who have the means to lay out $$$$' for seats.
5. 1500 no shows. Do you know what that equals in relation to the number of the fans who were there - 2.3%. I think we can allow 2% of the crowd to not show up for whatever reasons (death, missed flights, car trouble, sudden illness, family emergencies, etc)

Quite frankly, I'm tried of seeing posts about people complaining about the behavior of the fans in the stands... esp from people who aren't there. Maybe it's a sore subject to me because I do spend a lot of money during the season because I'm a long distance fan. Yeah, it's hard to stay up when you're watching a miserable O-line game after game in the pouring rain and I mentioned this in another thread, unlike a lot of other stadiums around the league, Heinz Field has a lot of places to watch the game near the concession stands and in the Great Hall that you can't see when you're watching the game from home.

Okay... I'm done. rant off/
Old 01-08-2008, 07:26 AM   #8
Lord Stiller
Banned

Member Number: 7087

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83-Steelers-43 View Post
Damn Steeler fans at Heinz Field.......that was the teams biggest problem this year. Mascot comes in second. Damn ungrateful yuppies. Not sure what's wrong with us local folk......
Dont you understand the article?

The normal sucky people that go didnt show up because it was rainy and nobody picked the Steelers to win. If they did show up, trust me thousands would have left at halftime
Lord Stiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 08:13 AM   #9
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353

This article is absolutely true. We noticed it on the way in almost immediately, it was a MUCH younger crowd, and the energy level was way more intense. We were up in 537, and the deck usually moves a little, but it was hopping up and down (and, actually, it's kind of disconcerting for the "ground" to move that much when you stop to consider you are 20 stories up!).

There is no dount that it was the most intesnse crowd I've ever witnessed for a pro football game.

We also went down and watched the 4th quarter in front of the scoreboard, and if you've never done that, give it a try sometime. It's a whole other world down there. Anyway, when the Steelers were mounting their comeback, we had worked our way right up to the edge of the field, and I turned around and looked up into the stadium and it was surreal. It had to feel almost like the players feel. The stadium looked completely full, and it looked like every single person was waving their terrible towel. It took my breath away, and I thought to myself that there was no way that the opposing team could NOT be affected by a scene like that.
Old 01-08-2008, 08:43 AM   #10
Counselor
Starter

Member Number: 5075

Quote:
Originally Posted by revefsreleets View Post
This article is absolutely true. We noticed it on the way in almost immediately, it was a MUCH younger crowd, and the energy level was way more intense. We were up in 537, and the deck usually moves a little, but it was hopping up and down (and, actually, it's kind of disconcerting for the "ground" to move that much when you stop to consider you are 20 stories up!).

There is no dount that it was the most intesnse crowd I've ever witnessed for a pro football game.
It was truly awesome on Saturday---even when we were down. But the fourth quarter will stay with me the rest of my life. When the "ground" started moving my husband was a little disconcerted. I told him----if we go down it would be a great way to go!
Counselor is offline   Reply With Quote