Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 01-07-2008, 08:18 PM   #1
Dynasty
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 2396
Default This season's salary cap.

According to SteelersSalaryCap.com, we have approximately $25.5 million left in cap room. It's going to take a good amount to resign Ben, and sign our draft picks. That should take approximately 7 million, give or take a few, leaving us with about 18 million, which, on its own, would allow us to sign our FAs and perhaps one or two mid-level FAs.

However, if we cut Marvel Smith, Brett Keisel, Cedric Wilson, and Sean Mahan, that would give us an extra 15 million or so in cap space, giving us about 34 million. Which would allow us to sign several top-line FAs. Adding on to that, there is the outside chance that Ward would restructure his contract, giving us an additional several million in space.

In the theoretical situation, with our $36 million, the Steelers could sign Starks to play LT, Trai Essex at RT, Paul Spicer, Lance Briggs, Ryan Lilja, and DJ Hackett. I realize we would not be able to sign all of those players, but with only 4 simple cuts, we would be able to upgrade our team significantly, and on both sides of the ball.

After signing Briggs, we would have him play outside and move Harrison inside as he is strong enough. Foote would be a backup.

With the pending draft and those FAs, we could end up with a team like this:

FAs and Draft picks in bold
Only players we will probably use are listed

Offense:
WRs: Ward, Holmes, Hackett, Washington, Reid
TEs: Miller, Tuman, Spaeth
RBs: Parker, Davenport, Russell
FB: Davis
Starting OL:
LT: Starks LG: Lilja C: Draft pick RG: Simmons RT: Essex

Defense:
DEs: Spicer, Smith
ILBs: Farrior, Harrison, Foote
OLBs: Briggs, Woodley, Timmons
CBs: Taylor, McFadden, Townsend, Gay, Draft pick
Safetys: Polamalu, Clark

Now please tell me I'm not the only one who thinks that would be a team to be reckoned with. The OL is significantly upgraded, with a younger replacement for Faneca, a better center, and we put the two tackles who have played the best as starters. If Essex plays poorly, he could be replaced with a draft pick. Also, we get a solid #3 receiver who, rather than being a liablity when one of our starters goes down, would be able to make positive contributions.

On the defense, we gain the ability to have a pass rush from the MLB position by moving Harrison inside. His sacking contribution on the outside is negated by the addition on Briggs. Adding Spicer at defensive end gives us more sacks and forced fumbles than we had with Keisel. Spicer is not a liabilty in run defense; more like a strength. There are no real changes in the secondary, other than hopefully getting Ryan Clark back and signing a draft pick to play CB in the Quarter Defense.

I realize that it is wishful thinking to sign Briggs, but he would not be a massive cap hit that would take up all the cap room, so it is a possibility.
He would probably be about an $ million hit (guesstimating).

All numbers are estimates.
In millions:
$36 - 7 Starks
29 - 9 Briggs
20 - 8 Lilja
12 - 1.5 Essex (He is RFA, so he can be cheap)
10.5 - 4 Spicer
6.5 - 3 Hackett

Leaving us with about 3 to 3.5 million in cap room to sign mid-season players, etc.

All these moves are possible, and every one of them would be a major benefit to the team. I know the FO likes to go conservative and only sign shitty players like Mahan in free agency, I think that this would be a spectacular crop of free agents who would help the team a ton. Even if we don't get Briggs, that is still a great group of talented players.

I'd love to know what you guys would think about the team doing that.
Old 01-07-2008, 09:07 PM   #2
Mandy90
Water Boy

Member Number: 5246
Default Re: This season's salary cap.

There are two reasons the signing of Briggs would be ridiculous.

1. He is not a 3-4 OLB, if anything, he would play inside if he were to play in a 3-4. But even then he is more suited for a 4-3 Tampa style defense.

2. He would command waayyyy to much money for us.

I think he has also stated that he doesn't like playing in a 3-4
Mandy90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 09:29 PM   #3
Dynasty
Assistant Coach

yeah that was sort of the wish player, but if we switch to the tampa 2 in the near future he would be great for us in that role... we definately wouldnt sign him, i was just using ihim as an example
Old 01-07-2008, 09:34 PM   #4
BlastFurnace
Living Legend

Member Number: 6321

As much as some don't like the overall play of Keisel and Mahan, the Steelers will not cut either one of them. IMO, Keisel is being misused. If they think they can make him into a roving DE/LB hybrid like Adalius Thomas, I don't think that is his best fit. Mahan will stay on the roster because he signed for a decent amount of cash, he is versatile in that he can play Guard and Center....even though that is now debatable...but atleast he has the experience.

I don't know what the cap hit to cut Marvell is, but I doubt he gets cut either because we need every warm body that can block "anyone" available. We don't know the extensive nature of Marvell's injury and it may re-occur, but I wouldn't cut him and I doubt the Steelers will either.

I still don't understand why so many people want to run Wilson out of town. Every single time I see him get the chance to play, he doesn't drop balls thrown to him, he comes up with some pretty key catches, and he is very versatile.

I do want to find a way to keep Starks because his versatility came in mighty handy this season. I bet the keep Essex as well.

What we need to remember about the Steelers is that they will spend their money to keep the players they want to keep from their own roster. Free Agent history with the Steelers will not change this year in that they will not break the bank to sign someone off someone else's roster for huge dollars. They will spend moderately to bring in someone who can play, but it won't be anyone like Lance Briggs.

With the money we have available, most will go to Ben, they will probably convince some veteran to restructure their deal to free up some additional money to keep some of their own players and hopefully some will go to sign some OL and DL help.
BlastFurnace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 10:12 PM   #5
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynasty View Post
FAs and Draft picks in bold
Only players we will probably use are listed

Offense:
WRs: Ward, Holmes, Hackett, Washington, Reid
Starting OL:
LT: Starks LG: Lilja C: Draft pick RG: Simmons RT: Essex

Defense:
DEs: Spicer, Smith
ILBs: Farrior, Harrison, Foote
OLBs: Briggs, Woodley, Timmons
CBs: Taylor, McFadden, Townsend, Gay, Draft pick
Regardless of whether someone agrees or not, you gotta admit, that was a very good post. Great numbers research. Thanks! Now, here is how I would change that.

Offense:
WRs: Ward, Holmes, Round 2 pick, Washington, Reid, Round 3 small school, tall, fast project receiver. (4 if 3 goes to CB)
Starting OL:
LT: Starks LG: Mahan C: Round 1 pick RG: Simmons RT: Essex / Round 3 pick to push Starks, Mahan, Simmons and Essex to really play well.

Defense:
DEs:Keisel (he played well), Smith
ILBs: Karlos Dansby, Timmons (moved from outside), Farrior
OLBs: Harrison, Woodley,
CBs: Taylor, McFadden, Townsend, Gay, Round 4 Draft pick (3 if a good one falls).
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 10:39 PM   #6
FourThreeMafia
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 3558

SteelersSalaryCap.com is wrong. It hasnt been fixed in months, and doesnt have alot of the contracts and bonuses right.

Heading into next season, we have $18.6 million, and we dont yet know the ICA (Incentive Cap Adjustment) or any cuts we will be making.

And, BTW, how long have you been following the Steelers? No offense, but anyone who follows the Steelers year round knows they are never that active in FA, I DO think they will be more active this year, but no chance we bring in 4 player like them.

Hackett will be a number 1 or 2 somewhere. We will not give him as much money as other teams will.

Lilja, I wouldnt mind, but there are alot of teams in need of quality guards, and teams drastically overpaid mediocre guards like Derrick Dockery last year, and it will happen again.

Spicer is old. Steelers dont persue aging vets.

Briggs makes absolutely no sense. For one, we would never sign someone that high priced. Second, we dont know what LeBeau is doing or what defense we will be running. Even if we sign Briggs, which we wont, we still have alot of other needs until we can run a successful 4-3 D.

Here is my hope:
1) Cut Tyrone Carter, Cedric Wilson and Jerame Tuman. Get rid of that dead weight.
2) Sign Ben to 6 year extension
2a) Sign Max Starks to extension IF the price is right. He has lost some weight and is moving alot better, so he might be worth it. Not sure though.
3) Sign WR Bryant Johnson or Devery Henderson. Both are quality number 3 recievers.
4) If we dont sign Starks, actively persue Jordan Gross.
5) If we only sign one FA, go after Trufant or Samuel. I know they are big names, but Townsend is on his last legs, Taylor is good, but needs someone opposite of him
Old 01-07-2008, 10:49 PM   #7
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

Quote:
Originally Posted by FourThreeMafia View Post
knows they are never that active in FA, I DO think they will be more active this year, but no chance we bring in 4 player like them.

Here is my hope:
1) Cut Tyrone Carter, Cedric Wilson and Jerame Tuman. Get rid of that dead weight.
2) Sign Ben to 6 year extension
2a) Sign Max Starks to extension IF the price is right. He has lost some weight and is moving alot better, so he might be worth it. Not sure though.
3) Sign WR Bryant Johnson or Devery Henderson. Both are quality number 3 recievers.
4) If we dont sign Starks, actively persue Jordan Gross.
5) If we only sign one FA, go after Trufant or Samuel. I know they are big names, but Townsend is on his last legs, Taylor is good, but needs someone opposite of him
Which is why I only have one FA... Karlos Dansby. He would be a great ILB... Him and Timmons could cover very well, and stop the inside run. Dansby is fast too... which is what we need. then we have Harrison and Woodley on the outside. it would just be a powerhouse LB core I believe.

Moving around the O line like I did (and you alluded to this fact as well about Starks) is playing with fire a bit, because we are not yet sure how Starks and Essex will play out over the entire season. So okay, bring in a second FA on the oline, and a 1st round pick.

I think that is well within the comfort range of the Rooneys. 2 FA's and building the rest through draft.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 11:08 PM   #8
Dynasty
Assistant Coach

FourThreeMafia, I have been a Steelers fan since I was a little kid. Although I appreciate your "insight" into my football knowledge, this post was not intended to be a "This is what the Steelers will do" it was more of a "If we utilized the cap well, we could greatly improve our team"

I admitted earlier that this was not what would happen; I know that the steelers are not active in free agency. maybe if you had read the whole thing you would have seen.

Quote:
I know the FO likes to go conservative and only sign shitty players like Mahan in free agency, I think that this would be a spectacular crop of free agents who would help the team a ton
I didn't know that the salary cap site was wrong... even with that 7 million less, we could get all those guys other than briggs who we wouldnt have gotten anyway.

after writing the thing i realized briggs would not fit but i didnt want to get rid of that part of the post.

I realize that some of the players are not bad, but there were better options for possibly cheaper (Keisel/Spicer)

On steelers salary cap site it said m. smith's cap hit for next year was almost 7 million thats why i wanted to dump him, especially if he would be a backup.

Preacher, thanks for the backup, i wanted to put dansby in there but the Cards are supposedly going to franchise him so i didnt think the 2 first rounders would be worth it.

i like keisel too but i thought spicer had better stats and could probably go for cheaper while helpign the 4-3 transition
Old 01-07-2008, 11:23 PM   #9
The Duke
Living Legend

Member Number: 4800

Quote:
Originally Posted by FourThreeMafia View Post
jerame tuman is no dead weight. he might be getting old, but him going down was a big reason the running game suffered.

I've seen a lot of the mock drafts you guys make, but none suggest at least in the second day grabbing a blocking tight end that can replace tuman. I don't think spaeth is as great of a blocker as tuman. a replacement may be needed.

then again....it all depends on how the offense evolves this year and Arians plans with it
The Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 11:32 PM   #10
FourThreeMafia
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 3558

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Duke View Post
jerame tuman is no dead weight. he might be getting old, but him going down was a big reason the running game suffered.

I've seen a lot of the mock drafts you guys make, but none suggest at least in the second day grabbing a blocking tight end that can replace tuman. I don't think spaeth is as great of a blocker as tuman. a replacement may be needed.

then again....it all depends on how the offense evolves this year and Arians plans with it
Tuman's back is messed up. I doubt he will ever be the same.

I personally think the running game suffered more due to the fact that Dan Kredier went down and Sean Mahan being our center.

I like Tuman, but at this point, I think he is dead weight.