Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Browns Bills
September 7, 2014, 1:00pmET

CBS

Old 01-07-2008, 11:41 PM   #11
FourThreeMafia
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 3558
Default Re: This season's salary cap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynasty View Post
FourThreeMafia, I have been a Steelers fan since I was a little kid. Although I appreciate your "insight" into my football knowledge, this post was not intended to be a "This is what the Steelers will do" it was more of a "If we utilized the cap well, we could greatly improve our team"

I admitted earlier that this was not what would happen; I know that the steelers are not active in free agency. maybe if you had read the whole thing you would have seen.

I didn't know that the salary cap site was wrong... even with that 7 million less, we could get all those guys other than briggs who we wouldnt have gotten anyway.

after writing the thing i realized briggs would not fit but i didnt want to get rid of that part of the post.

I realize that some of the players are not bad, but there were better options for possibly cheaper (Keisel/Spicer)

On steelers salary cap site it said m. smith's cap hit for next year was almost 7 million thats why i wanted to dump him, especially if he would be a backup.

Preacher, thanks for the backup, i wanted to put dansby in there but the Cards are supposedly going to franchise him so i didnt think the 2 first rounders would be worth it.

i like keisel too but i thought spicer had better stats and could probably go for cheaper while helpign the 4-3 transition
I didnt give any insight into your football or Steelers knowledge. Maybe if you had read what I said...

Quote:
And, BTW, how long have you been following the Steelers?
...You wouldve realized it was a QUESTION, not a statement or "insight" There are alot of Sunday fans and young people that just dont know how the Steelers operate. It wasnt a knock on you at all, I was just curious. I dont post here regularly, so I apologize for not knowing everyone and who knows what.

I am personally all for getting Dansby or Suggs if we could, but it will never happen.

We will go after medium ranged FAs (like backups and potential starters) and scrubs as always. I dont always agree with that method, but I trust the Rooneys.
Old 01-08-2008, 01:19 AM   #12
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

Quote:
Originally Posted by FourThreeMafia View Post
I didnt give any insight into your football or Steelers knowledge. Maybe if you had read what I said...

...You wouldve realized it was a QUESTION, not a statement or "insight" There are alot of Sunday fans and young people that just dont know how the Steelers operate. It wasnt a knock on you at all, I was just curious. I dont post here regularly, so I apologize for not knowing everyone and who knows what.

I am personally all for getting Dansby or Suggs if we could, but it will never happen.

We will go after medium ranged FAs (like backups and potential starters) and scrubs as always. I dont always agree with that method, but I trust the Rooneys.
Funny how we cheer with one side and groan with the other because of this issue. I am ALWAYS frustrated during FA time. However, I am always thankful for them come game time.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 01:24 AM   #13
Rhee Rhee
Head Coach

Member Number: 7579

Quote:

We will go after medium ranged FAs (like backups and potential starters) and scrubs as always.
and thats what has plagued us with signings like mahan and wilson... (dead weight as someone put it earlier) the one signing i do think worked out was duce but that was only for one season... as he became ineffective after our 15-1 season with the emergence of willie parker
Old 01-08-2008, 03:44 AM   #14
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,207 Times in 1,361 Posts
My Mood: Lurking

Everyone is talking about tuman getting older just how long has he been in the league.
Galax Steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 04:53 AM   #15
Crushzilla
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 5106

Quote:
Originally Posted by galax steeler View Post
Everyone is talking about tuman getting older just how long has he been in the league.
Tuman was drafted in 1999 and will be 32 come opening day..

As far as replacing him with a blocking tight end in this year's draft, we already have.

Though he was a great asset in the red zone earlier in the season, Spaeth was brought in for his height and for his block prowess.

In college, he played for a Minnesota offense that ran the ball well and, like the Steelers, primarily.

I don't feel like he has been given enough of a chance to show his stuff as a blocking (and receiving) TE in the NFL, I'm sure the coaching staff shares that sentiment.

I would be surprised to see the Steelers take another TE in this draft. The F.O. is VERY aware that there were some big question marks around taking one in the third round last April and I'm sure they are more interested in working with the second-year, first day draft pick and shopping for depth elsewhere with valuable draft picks.
Old 01-08-2008, 05:06 AM   #16
Crushzilla
Team Owner
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCSteeler View Post
Also anyone that wants to cut Kiesel is just silly. He may be getting used wrong, I don't know I'm not a caoch, but he is still a very good player who had a off year. I think you keep him for sure, but at the worst you trade him, I'm sure someone would want him.
I can see us cutting him and the Patriots picking him up and him becoming an All-Pro
Old 01-08-2008, 05:33 AM   #17
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlastFurnace View Post
I still don't understand why so many people want to run Wilson out of town. Every single time I see him get the chance to play, he doesn't drop balls thrown to him, he comes up with some pretty key catches, and he is very versatile.
Because in three years he has managed an average of only 27 catches per year (thats less than 2 catches per game)...387 yards per year (a little over 24 yards per game)....and LESS THAN 1 TOUCHDOWN per year
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 05:47 AM   #18
Crushzilla
Team Owner
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamberts-lost-tooth View Post
Because in three years he has managed an average of only 27 catches per year (thats less than 2 catches per game)...387 yards per year (a little over 24 yards per game)....and LESS THAN 1 TOUCHDOWN per year
Right. At the league's minimum salary, this would be great. Unfortunately, Wilson is payed considerably more than that.
Old 01-08-2008, 06:03 AM   #19
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363

Quote:
Hackett will be a number 1 or 2 somewhere. We will not give him as much money as other teams will.

Here is my hope:
3) Sign WR Bryant Johnson or Devery Henderson. Both are quality number 3 recievers.
Bryant Johnson and Hackett are the same age...but Bryant has put up double the catches and yards that Hackett has. If we can't sign Hackett we sure as heck wont get Johnson!!!!
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 06:08 AM   #20
FourThreeMafia
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 3558

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamberts-lost-tooth View Post
Bryant Johnson and Hackett are the same age...but Bryant has put up double the catches and yards that Hackett has. If we can't sign Hackett we sure as heck wont get Johnson!!!!
Hackett is a much better reciever. Numbers lie. He's had injury issues which have hampered his production, which will ultimately cost him alot of money.

Johnson is a great number 3, but nothing special as a number 2.