Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

 Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers


Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2008, 07:13 AM   #21
FourThreeMafia
Bench Warmer
 
FourThreeMafia's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: In a glass case of emotions
Posts: 204
Gender: Male
Member Number: 3558
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: This season's salary cap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhee Rhee View Post
and thats what has plagued us with signings like mahan and wilson... (dead weight as someone put it earlier) the one signing i do think worked out was duce but that was only for one season... as he became ineffective after our 15-1 season with the emergence of willie parker
Wilson isnt as bad as people make him out to be. He has great hands actually. His problem is field awareness and he struggles in seperation.

Mahan was a terrible signing from the get go IMO, but I assumed they saw something in him. After watching him play this season, I cant for the life of me figure out what that is.
__________________
FourThreeMafia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 07:47 AM   #22
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned
 
lamberts-lost-tooth's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2006
Location: Midwest
Posts: 10,829
Gender: Male
Member Number: 2363
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Re: This season's salary cap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FourThreeMafia View Post
Hackett is a much better reciever. Numbers lie. He's had injury issues which have hampered his production, which will ultimately cost him alot of money.

Johnson is a great number 3, but nothing special as a number 2.
Johnson fills in on a regular basis as a VERY solid #2...so I would respectfully disagree.

Hackett is legit, but he is sharing catches with Nate Burleson & Deion Branch.

Obviously Johnson would have even more yardage if he wasnt behind two Elite recievers in Boldin and Fitzgerald.

Every single NFL team would take Johnson over Hackett...no contest.
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 07:48 AM   #23
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned
 
lamberts-lost-tooth's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2006
Location: Midwest
Posts: 10,829
Gender: Male
Member Number: 2363
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Re: This season's salary cap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FourThreeMafia View Post
Wilson isnt as bad as people make him out to be. He has great hands actually. His problem is field awareness and he struggles in seperation.

Mahan was a terrible signing from the get go IMO, but I assumed they saw something in him. After watching him play this season, I cant for the life of me figure out what that is.
Actually...Wilsons first year with us..he had more drops than he had catches...he has been a bust. But yea, I have lost hope in Mahan being anything but a wave player.
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 09:04 AM   #24
FourThreeMafia
Bench Warmer
 
FourThreeMafia's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: In a glass case of emotions
Posts: 204
Gender: Male
Member Number: 3558
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: This season's salary cap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamberts-lost-tooth View Post
Actually...Wilsons first year with us..he had more drops than he had catches...he has been a bust. But yea, I have lost hope in Mahan being anything but a wave player.
Wilson had 26 catches his first year with the Steelers, and I can guarantee he didnt have more drops than catches. He was the number 3 reciever for us that year, (number 4 if you count Heath Miller) and he probably wasnt even targeted more than 50 times that entire season. and Im willing to bet at least 10-15 of those targets were OFF TARGET. Id say at most, he dropped 12 balls, and I dont even see that. So, I dont know where you got that at, but its bogus. Wilson hasnt been a star, but he hasnt been a bust An FA bust (like Sean Mahan) is a player you sign to come in and make a big impact, but doesnt. Wilson was NEVER expected to make a big impact. He was brought in to be a number 3. Wilsons issues have never been his hands, its his inablilty to seperate and find holes and coverage, and he seems to get disoriented easily.

Wilson has ZERO drops this season. He has been targets 30 times and has caught 17.

Last year, if I remember correctly, he dropped 4 or 5 passes, and Ward had 7 or 8 drops.
__________________
FourThreeMafia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 09:13 AM   #25
FourThreeMafia
Bench Warmer
 
FourThreeMafia's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: In a glass case of emotions
Posts: 204
Gender: Male
Member Number: 3558
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: This season's salary cap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamberts-lost-tooth View Post
Johnson fills in on a regular basis as a VERY solid #2...so I would respectfully disagree.

Hackett is legit, but he is sharing catches with Nate Burleson & Deion Branch.

Obviously Johnson would have even more yardage if he wasnt behind two Elite recievers in Boldin and Fitzgerald.

Every single NFL team would take Johnson over Hackett...no contest.
It helps having Fitz or Boldin playing next to you.

Im not saying Johnson isnt good or he CANT be a good number 2, but I think he is much better as the number 3, but he will get his chance somehwere to be a number 2 probably, like Carolina.

And no, it isnt 'no contest'.
__________________
FourThreeMafia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 10:14 AM   #26
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned
 
lamberts-lost-tooth's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2006
Location: Midwest
Posts: 10,829
Gender: Male
Member Number: 2363
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Re: This season's salary cap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FourThreeMafia View Post
Wilson had 26 catches his first year with the Steelers, and I can guarantee he didnt have more drops than catches. He was the number 3 reciever for us that year, (number 4 if you count Heath Miller) and he probably wasnt even targeted more than 50 times that entire season. and Im willing to bet at least 10-15 of those targets were OFF TARGET. Id say at most, he dropped 12 balls, and I dont even see that. So, I dont know where you got that at, but its bogus. Wilson hasnt been a star, but he hasnt been a bust An FA bust (like Sean Mahan) is a player you sign to come in and make a big impact, but doesnt. Wilson was NEVER expected to make a big impact. He was brought in to be a number 3. Wilsons issues have never been his hands, its his inablilty to seperate and find holes and coverage, and he seems to get disoriented easily.

Wilson has ZERO drops this season. He has been targets 30 times and has caught 17.

Last year, if I remember correctly, he dropped 4 or 5 passes, and Ward had 7 or 8 drops.

Okay...let me talk plain english since sarcasm didnt work....Wilson has been unproductive by ANYONES standards...he DOES have a problem with drops..in fact...an article was written last year about Wilson and Washingtons inability to hold on to the ball....Wilson dropped a pass last game...so we dont have to look very far back to disprove the "whole season without a drop" remark. I dont think when we signed Wilson it was with the understanding that he would catch less than two passes a game..and that he would only give us two regular season TD's in three years.
.

Last edited by lamberts-lost-tooth; 01-08-2008 at 10:53 AM.
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 10:44 AM   #27
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned
 
lamberts-lost-tooth's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2006
Location: Midwest
Posts: 10,829
Gender: Male
Member Number: 2363
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Re: This season's salary cap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FourThreeMafia View Post
It helps having Fitz or Boldin playing next to you.

Im not saying Johnson isnt good or he CANT be a good number 2, but I think he is much better as the number 3, but he will get his chance somehwere to be a number 2 probably, like Carolina.

And no, it isnt 'no contest'.

How does having a sure handed Elite #1 and #2 in front of you...help....you to get more catches? Wouldnt that mean that the QB would throw to them more??? (To be truthful..Johnson has two #1 receivers in front of him)

I would thing that if you are behind less than elite starters..you should get more playing time and therefore more catches.

But as I said originally...Hackett is a legit WR and I would love to have him...he just isnt in Bryant Johnsons category.

I know you said..Numbers can be deceiving (which must be why you think Wilson is a good WR)...but productivity is the bottom line and Johnson is twice as productive.

Johnson: ...210 career catches 2,675 career yards
Hackett: .....105 career catches 1,394 career yards
(both are 26 years old)
I would rather Johnson "deceive" our opponants with that type of production...than settle for half of that with the "reality" of Hackett's abilities.
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 10:51 AM   #28
BlastFurnace
Living Legend
 
BlastFurnace's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
Posts: 3,778
Gender: Male
Member Number: 6321
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: This season's salary cap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamberts-lost-tooth View Post
Because in three years he has managed an average of only 27 catches per year (thats less than 2 catches per game)...387 yards per year (a little over 24 yards per game)....and LESS THAN 1 TOUCHDOWN per year
You know as well as I do that he hardly ever gets the ball thrown to him, but when he does, he is productive. You can't catch it when it's not thrown to you.

Wilson is much better than any #4 receiver we have had in Pittsburgh in quite some time. He's not as bad as people think.
BlastFurnace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 10:59 AM   #29
Rotorhead
Team President
Supporter
 
Rotorhead's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Denver
Posts: 2,010
Gender: Male
Member Number: 703
Thanks: 115
Thanked 730 Times in 403 Posts
My Mood: Relaxed
Default Re: This season's salary cap.

Somehow, with the way everyone is so enamored with Washington, and having Ward, Santo and Miller, I dont see us going into FA to get a receiver . . . there are far more glaring needs. I can see us drafting a late round tall prospect to groom into a receiver. If we dabble in FA, it will be for OL, most likely a Center, but I have no idea who is even available. I agree with whoever said our run game dropped off because of kreider, I truly believe that. Injuries hurt out Def this year, so I can see us drafting for depth there as well as OL in the first couple rounds. It is going to be a slow off season for us like usual unless Lebeau leaves.
Rotorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 11:04 AM   #30
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned
 
lamberts-lost-tooth's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2006
Location: Midwest
Posts: 10,829
Gender: Male
Member Number: 2363
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Re: This season's salary cap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlastFurnace View Post
You know as well as I do that he hardly ever gets the ball thrown to him, but when he does, he is productive. You can't catch it when it's not thrown to you.

Wilson is much better than any #4 receiver we have had in Pittsburgh in quite some time. He's not as bad as people think.
You actually prove my point...he has been regulated to #4 on our depth chart....but he was signed to be a #2 and sadley getting paid like one.
So yea...he is the bet #2 reciever we have ever had at the #4 slot.
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:40 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Shoutbox provided by vBShout v6.2.1 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.0.8 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Navbar with Avatar by Motorradforum
no new posts