Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 01-08-2008, 11:26 AM   #1
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363
Default PFW: Grading the Coaches

Good article on all 32 coaches....her is the whole article http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW...oaches2226.htm

Quote:
Mike Tomlin | Pittsburgh Steelers
Grade: B+
Tomlin is intelligent and well-organized; were he not coaching in the NFL, it wouldn’t be a surprise if he were making a fortune on Wall Street. He had the unenviable task of taking over a veteran club that was accustomed to Bill Cowher and Cowher’s coaching staff. But Tomlin has fared well, for the most part. The Steelers reached the playoffs in spite of some late-season struggles, but they were eliminated in the wild-card round by Jacksonville — at Heinz Field. The defense allowed fewer yards than any other in the league. Tomlin and defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau have meshed their philosophies relatively well, though you would have to expect some defensive personnel changes in the offseason now that the patient Tomlin has had a season to observe the “D.” The offense wasn’t overly impressive statistically but was still potent, thanks to a remarkable season by QB Ben Roethlisberger, who took a beating behind an offensive line that needs to be revamped. Overall, Tomlin’s first regular season in Pittsburgh went relatively well.
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 11:33 AM   #2
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984
Default Re: PFW: Grading the Coaches

Of course, Belicheat* gets an A, but no surprise here. Hey kids, cheaters DO win!
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 11:35 AM   #3
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 7,248 Times in 3,252 Posts

Apparently Tomlin got a B+, which seems about right to me. Tomlin received the highest grade of all the new hires (Whiz got a B) which also seems right.

Thanks for the link
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 12:50 PM   #4
Rhee Rhee
Head Coach

Member Number: 7579

give him an A- for living up to the immense pressure that comes with taking over the pittsburgh steelers and the winning tradition we have here..
Old 01-08-2008, 01:03 PM   #5
DACEB
Banned

Member Number: 2911

I have been a huge Tomlin fan / supporter since the hiring and at this point I still am. I must say that I am more than a little dissappointed with the last 5 games of the season.

I have stated before that I will truly only grade Tomlin after this upcoming season. I will give him the oppurtunity to get a season under his belt (this past season), go thru the draft and FA (again) and then in his second season see if he learned anything from his mistakes in the first.

I have also stated that I would like to see Arians (although in the booth) and Lebeau back as coordinators. I would hope that as far as the playcalling goes, on either side of the ball, that after a year together Tomlin and each coordinator will know better what is expected. I would hope Tomlin would further place his stamp on this team.

I am dissappointed however at how we ended the season. I understand and appreciate the fact that we had several key injuries. I believe that noone (including myself) truly appreciated the job that Ryan Clark was doing at FS. Our defense suffered immediately when Aaron Smith went down. The loss of FWP was never so evident until I saw Najeh huffing and puffing on the field in the Jags game. Who knows what a difference Tuman could have made in the runnung game? I am dissappointed that we saw similar ugly trends from years past.

I'm dissappointed that the team still played down to the competition.

I'm dissappointed that the playcalling seemed stale and conservative at times, and then just totally wacky at others.

I'm dissappointed that, IMO, adjustments were'nt made at times during games that needed to be made.

These were complaints I had with the previous regime, and to see them resurface with Tomlin is alittle unsettling to me. The team had problems with the O-line all season. I have stated many times that not all the blame can be put on the O-line. I'm sure many of you would join me in saying the team needs a new line coach. Also many have stated there are ways to keep the pressure off the QB by running screens or quick slants. I don't understand how between the O-line coach and the OC that you do not identify your weaknesses and gameplan accordingly. You need to hold Tomlin responsible for the lack of communication between the coordinators and the rest of the coaching staff.

I guess I just never saw the growth that I expected to see from the entire team, coaches and all. The Anthony Smith fiasco before the Pats game showed me that maybe Tomlin is not in control of his lockerroom. The questions about who the real MVP was do nothing to reassure me of that. I just want to actually see what was taken from 'the journey' that was the 2007 season.

Once again, I will wait and see what moves are made in the off season and if Tomlin learned from his mistakes this year.

My grade B
DACEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 01:19 PM   #6
TackleMeBen
Southern Belle
Supporter

Location: where all the cute men are(especially the one in my avatar)
Member Number: 4435

at least they got the petrino one right.......lol... F

In memory of my brother Michael, who gave me my love of sports. I will miss you!
TackleMeBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 02:15 PM   #7
19ward86
Head Coach

Member Number: 2717

billechect or however you spell his name is an overrated coach to me, im about to pull off some sarcasm, hold on here it comes......WOWEE how can bill go 16-0 with that horrible defense and horrible QB with that awfully slow reciever who has no height advantage whatsoever, WOW...how can bill win 3 soup bowls with no big name players on defense and no offens??? he is the best coach ever...ummm NO! teams in the 70's like the steelers dominated with great players but most came through the draft and everyone had an unlimited amount of spending cash, not unlimited but you know.
Old 01-08-2008, 02:20 PM   #8
Counselor
Starter

Member Number: 5075

Tomlin's B+ sounds about right to me.
Counselor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 02:34 PM   #9
Haiku_Dirtt
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 1645

Quote:
Originally Posted by DACEB View Post
I am dissappointed however at how we ended the season. I understand and appreciate the fact that we had several key injuries.

These were complaints I had with the previous regime, and to see them resurface with Tomlin is alittle unsettling to me.
My grade B
And the least spoken topic of this past season...Was it just money that made Cowher 'jump ship'? Or did he know damn well that the 'hits' to his legacy after two losing seasons after winning the Big One would complicate a salary worth over $5 million a season?

Essentially one could make a case that Tomlin did more with less than the esteemed BC. He gets an A from me as a rookie head coach.
Haiku_Dirtt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 11:03 AM   #10
atlsteelers
Starter

Member Number: 216

i would grade tomlin a C-
expressed desire to improve special teams - they could have been worse this year than last.
Inability to finish close games - the team fought back many times but they lost all of them expcept cleveland game #2
I think he choked in the playoff game. This team just won a superbowl two years ago - granted cowher did not take the team to the playoffs last season but the franchise qb could not stay off of his bike

As far the Whiz goes in the desert B+
He takes over a team that has not won in decades and milks a .500 record out of them. Without question this team has talent questions, he has this team going in the right direction
atlsteelers is offline   Reply With Quote