Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 01-09-2008, 11:38 AM   #11
Counselor
Starter

Member Number: 5075
Default Re: PFW: Grading the Coaches

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlsteelers View Post
i would grade tomlin a C-
expressed desire to improve special teams - they could have been worse this year than last.
Inability to finish close games - the team fought back many times but they lost all of them expcept cleveland game #2
I think he choked in the playoff game. This team just won a superbowl two years ago - granted cowher did not take the team to the playoffs last season but the franchise qb could not stay off of his bike

As far the Whiz goes in the desert B+
He takes over a team that has not won in decades and milks a .500 record out of them. Without question this team has talent questions, he has this team going in the right direction
Special teams held onto the ball better than last year . . . as for the coverages and blocking? The players have to execute.

Inability to finish close games? You could also say those games showed he could get hisa team back into games in the second half. Everyone of those games we were down in the first half, came back to tie or take the lead, and the game came down to the defense not making a key stop. Again---execution.

Choked in the playoff game? what are you talking about? Did he throw three interceptions? No? But he made the half-time adjustments to get the team to come back from an 18 point deficit. Maybe there were a couple of questionable calls (but hind sight is 20/20---if they had worked, he's be called a genius.) I think "choked" is a little harsh.

This team won the superbowl 2 years ago on a hot streak. Motorcylce or no morotcycle, 2006 team wasn't getting another one---not with the overall attitude of coaches and team that year.

As for Whiz---he got 8 wins. . . 2 against the Rams, and then beat the Seahawks, Bowns, Bengals, Steelers, Falcons, Lions. Basically he beat weak teams, and went 3-1against our division (which he knows like the back of his hand). The only exception is the Seahawks---a divisional rival. He also lost to a lot if weak teams: Panthers, Saints, 49ers twice, Ravens.

I don't see how you can give Whiz a B+ and Tomlin a C- based on that.
Counselor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 12:01 PM   #12
atlsteelers
Starter

Member Number: 216

Quote:
Originally Posted by Counselor View Post
As for Whiz---he got 8 wins. . . 2 against the Rams, and then beat the Seahawks, Bowns, Bengals, Steelers, Falcons, Lions. Basically he beat weak teams, and went 3-1against our division (which he knows like the back of his hand). The only exception is the Seahawks---a divisional rival. He also lost to a lot if weak teams: Panthers, Saints, 49ers twice, Ravens.

I don't see how you can give Whiz a B+ and Tomlin a C- based on that.
You could also argue that Tomlin lost to weak teams - can you spell J-E-T-S - jets. he split the series with the ravens, lost to the broncos, and those cardinals. He also only beat two teams with winning records the browns and seatle and finished the seaon on a 1-5 stint. After starting the season 3-0 the tomlin went 7-7.

I think given the talent the whiz out coached tomlin and i think its a fair comparasion. Tomlin steped into a golden situation, stable franchise, good owner, compentent front office, and lots of talent. The whiz however took over the cardinals - enough said -

Last edited by atlsteelers; 01-09-2008 at 12:26 PM. Reason: spelling
atlsteelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 12:33 PM   #13
Dino 6 Rings
Living Legend

Member Number: 6891

Broncos were picked by most to make the playoffs this season. We shouldn't have been cute in that game and should have ran the ball early and often but we didnt', that one goes on Arians and Tomlin for agreeing to the game plan. The Cards, knew us too well and Wiz was in Ben's head from the first snap. The Jets loss was on Tomlin for the lack of focus that week, and the over look. The Pats loss, we got out played. Ravens loss, yeah, Charlie Batch at QB and most starters playing to not get hurt. And it was still a very tight game at the end. The Jags got us twice because of bad play by us and lack of focus after the Pats game.

I do agree with the B+ assessment. He improved us over last year's 8-8, got us into the playoffs with 4 starters out for the year including DE, RB, Safetey and LT. It was a close game, but ST and Turnovers let us down. Not coaching. He wins that game, he gets an A-. Next season My expectations have been set, to see further improvement. 12 win season, another home Playoff game in the first round at least and a win at home in the playoffs Please. I expect Round II or Deeper next season. Anything else will be a let down.

(Oh, if Ben, Ward, Willie and Troy all suffer some catastrophic problem before or in the early 08 season, I will allow for an 8-8 season)
Dino 6 Rings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 02:15 PM   #14
Counselor
Starter

Member Number: 5075

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlsteelers View Post
You could also argue that Tomlin lost to weak teams - can you spell J-E-T-S - jets. he split the series with the ravens, lost to the broncos, and those cardinals. He also only beat two teams with winning records the browns and seatle and finished the seaon on a 1-5 stint. After starting the season 3-0 the tomlin went 7-7.

I think given the talent the whiz out coached tomlin and i think its a fair comparasion. Tomlin steped into a golden situation, stable franchise, good owner, compentent front office, and lots of talent. The whiz however took over the cardinals - enough said -
I don't disagree that we lost games we shouldn't have lost. My point is, as much as we'd all like to think that we have a very talented team---we also have a lot of holes.

Both Tomlin and Whiz inherit teams with lots of talent and lots of holes ( Arizona has talent: think James, Fitgerald, Boldin, Warner, Breaston, (the safety---can't remember his name).
Tomlin improved an 8-8 team to 10-6 (+2 games). Whiz improved a 5-11 team to 8-8(+3 games). I think Whiz did a great job, but based on the outcomes, I don't see how you can say he was heads and shoulders above Tomlin. But that's just MHO.
Counselor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 02:19 PM   #15
Jeremy
Banned

Member Number: 2579

C+

The struggles at the end of the season took the shine off what was an otherwise awesome rookie season.
Jeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 08:46 AM   #16
atlsteelers
Starter

Member Number: 216

Quote:
Originally Posted by Counselor View Post
I don't disagree that we lost games we shouldn't have lost. My point is, as much as we'd all like to think that we have a very talented team---we also have a lot of holes.

Both Tomlin and Whiz inherit teams with lots of talent and lots of holes ( Arizona has talent: think James, Fitgerald, Boldin, Warner, Breaston, (the safety---can't remember his name).
Tomlin improved an 8-8 team to 10-6 (+2 games). Whiz improved a 5-11 team to 8-8(+3 games). I think Whiz did a great job, but based on the outcomes, I don't see how you can say he was heads and shoulders above Tomlin. But that's just MHO.
I still consider the job that the whiz did was head and shoulders above tomlin's. The whiz has some talent out in the desert in the wideouts and that safety/corner (i can not think of his name right now). But he steped into a franchise with a looser mentalilty and changed it. Thats why i was so impressed with him.

i still have faith in Tomlin, I hope that he can rebound from the poor showing in the last half of the season. Hopefully, he gets the special teams turned around and drafts some studs. But i was disappointed in his overall coaching performance. Hey i am one those folks who thought cowher would never win a superbowl based on how conservative he got in some of the playoff games. so i really, really hope that tomlin turns out to be our coach for the next 20 years, with multiple championships.
atlsteelers is offline   Reply With Quote