Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

An important history lesson for you TRUE Steelers fans!

Old 01-09-2008, 08:18 AM   #21
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984
Thanked 1,426 Times in 516 Posts
Default Re: Arians and LeBeau stay!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
I hope Tomlin forces LeBeau to start putting in more of the 4-3. LeBeau must go - it's time to stop feeling so sentimental and put the best defensive scheme on the field. The 3-4, with the weak defensive lineman we have right now, is not the best idea for the Steelers.
Ah, but a switch to the 4-3, which would place even more emphasis on the play of those "weak defensive linemen" is needed. Whatever.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 08:48 AM   #22
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 8,521 Times in 3,752 Posts

Announcing the coordinators are returning while remining silent on the status of the other coaches hopefully indicates the ST coach may not be retained.

Retaining Arians and LeBeau hopefully will allow for better insights as to how to retool the OL and figure out what went wrong with the D (it was more than injuries to Clark & Aaron Smith) the second half of the season before the draft and FA signings - having a new coordinator (presumably from outside the organization) get up to speed on personnel and Tomlin's preferences would require time better in deciding how (to use the phrase of Haggans agent) to rebuild as the "old Steelers" model drifts away.
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 09:14 AM   #23
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353

Very good points. There is a ton of value to retaining key staff. We can start working on fixes instead of ground-up work. We'll have consistency in the front office from one year to the next, and that's a rare thing from an organization that has been perennially successful. It seems we used to lose at least one coordinator every year.

There's no need for me to say anything about either Arians or LeBeau, other than I'm positive time will prove me right.
Old 01-09-2008, 09:19 AM   #24
Lord Stiller
Banned

Member Number: 7087

I'm very happy Lebeau is coming back and also Arians I guess.

Consistency goes a long way in the NFL. Remember when Cowher kept changing O-coordinators every year, it was always a disaster

Hopefully Tomlin and Arians learned not to play like vaginas at the end of a game and instead to go for the win
Lord Stiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 09:33 AM   #25
TackleMeBen
Southern Belle
Supporter

Location: where all the cute men are(especially the one in my avatar)
Member Number: 4435

Quote:
Remember when Cowher kept changing O-coordinators every year, it was always a disaster
just ask coach nolan how that is going?? they just hired another one..lol

In memory of my brother Michael, who gave me my love of sports. I will miss you!
TackleMeBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 09:39 AM   #26
Michael Keller
Starter

Member Number: 5736

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick5895 View Post
I don't think the problem with Arians was his ability to coachb but his play calling, my issue has always been that the Steelers offensively never play to win, just not to lose. He's back and I am sure he will correct his mistakes. I glad LeBeau is back.
Definately special teams must be addressed, we have sucked at that for too long. The O-Line coach may not be the best but what did he have to work with, Mahan was terrible and to be honest should be gone, NOT moved to guard like I have read, and there were injuries. I am sure we will be fine next season if we draft for depth, We need a top O Lineman, dline depth and depth at RB, in my opinion anyway.
Cant wait for the draft, lol
Rick: i read your post and responed "now hereis some one who I totally agree with on every point made . Then I see that you are in fact a coach. Makes sense.

I think Bruce has done somethings very well. Especially that he and Ben apparently relate well together.

But;; can Bruce improve his "play calling accumen" on the sidelines? ?

Choices :
1- Bruce goes to the booth and removes himself from the potential distractions of being -on the sidelines? He concentrate more on play calling and Anderson works with Ben on the sidelines.

2-Tomlin , who is obviouslly very intelligent, but on the other hand might not be a quick thinker, gets involved more in the offense and play calling . Personally I think he needs to be involved in the game more. Either in the style of projecting more energy or decision making. His "managing the game " does not impress me. He seems to aloof. He needs to be in the game more. With his intelligence and passion for the game and willingness to work hard I acould see this happen. In short Tomlin makes the decisons on key plays.

3-Assign another position coach or asst. head coach the responsiblity of making play calling decisions. I know this convulates the process but I am not sure play calling is within Bruce's ability. Personally I see so many people that are reasonably intelligent who are not able to think quickly. From afar, Bruce seems to be of this nature.

4-Ben continues to grow and become a student of the position of NFL QB. ala Peyton Maning and he used audibles much more fequently. This to me is the ideal method of improving play calling . With no disrespect is Ben a quick thinker ? I do not know.

My entire point here is the play calling was very poor all year but the creativity in available plays was in the package better than prior years. Not to repeat myself the working relationship between, Bruce and Ben and perhaps Anderson is not to be underestimated in it s value.
Michael Keller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 09:53 AM   #27
TackleMeBen
Southern Belle
Supporter

Location: where all the cute men are(especially the one in my avatar)
Member Number: 4435

i think the problem isnt all on the OC.. the oline didnt give ben time to do anything but run for his life all season.

In memory of my brother Michael, who gave me my love of sports. I will miss you!
TackleMeBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 09:57 AM   #28
memphissteelergirl
Head Coach

Member Number: 2648

Glad LeBeau is staying....Arians...eh...not so much. That said though, as it is his first year as OC I am willing to see what adjustments he makes in his playcalling next season. If nothing changes, I say show him the door.
Old 01-09-2008, 10:03 AM   #29
Counselor
Starter

Member Number: 5075

I'm very pleased to hear that both are staying.
Counselor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 10:15 AM   #30
TheManOfSteel
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 5170

You get what you say and believe in PERIOD. We all get what we say and believe in you heart. WE PROGRAM are heart, what we poor into in and out of it.

"Set a guard, O Lord, over my mouth; keep watch over the door of my lips." (Psalm 141:3)
TheManOfSteel is offline   Reply With Quote