Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 01-09-2008, 10:57 AM   #1
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 8,288 Times in 3,522 Posts
Default Steelers SHOULD NOT switch to Tampa-2 defense

ive read alot of opinions lately that the steelers need to switch to the 4-3 tampa cover 2 defense that tomlin is more familiar with and supposedly wants to install (thank God lebeau wasnt fired).

the only support i usually see of this opinion is that the 3-4 zone blitz is outdated, and has been "figured out". they also use the fact that the steelers only went 10-6 and didnt win a superbowl as support of our defenses supposed demise.

of course many of those are just calling for a change for the sake of change and ignoring blatant trends in the nfl. people said the 3-4 was figured out in the late 90's as soon as the 95 steelers defense was slowly dismantled. however the 3-4 is alive and well, with as many teams running it as ever.

the tampa 2? read for yourself:

http://www.nfl.com/kickoff/story;jse...o&confirm=true

(this preseason article is still relevant today)

Quote:
Each week I will discuss a trend in the game that looks to be evolving from my discussions with coaches and players, video tape study and observation. Let's start off the 2007 season with the famous "Tampa 2" coverage that has been the rage of NFL defenses for the past few years.

As the Tony Dungy coaching tree expanded so did the number of teams using the Tampa 2 as the foundation of their defense. There are Dungy disciples in Kansas City (Herm Edwards), Detroit (Rod Marinelli), Pittsburgh (Mike Tomlin), and, of course, Chicago (Lovie Smith).

It was Super Bowl XLI, when Dungy went up against his own defensive scheme in the Bears, that caused me to investigate the Tampa 2 scheme. As a background note, the Tampa 2 tries and plays the run game with seven defenders in the box instead of the traditional 8 in the box. It also asks the middle linebacker when he reads pass to take a deep drop down the middle of the field to free-safety depth. No one in the league could achieve the depth required quite like the Bears' Brian Urlacher. A former safety in college with rare size made him the perfect candidate to run the scheme originally developed by Dungy and Monte Kiffin in Tampa Bay. But Dungy wanted to win a Super Bowl with his Colts, and that meant attacking his own defensive scheme.

The Colts were challenged to attack the No. 5 defense in the NFL and the No. 1 defense in average gain per pass play. What Dungy did exposed the Tampa 2 coverage being used by more than half the teams in the NFL. He triggered that deep pass drop with a pass key. As Urlacher dropped with great speed while reading his pass key, the Colts ran a draw play vs. six in the box and the end result was a Colts offense that gained 191 rushing yards in 42 carries and another 74 yards throwing the check-down route to the backs, which essentially is a delayed draw.

No one thought the quick-strike Colts would hold the ball for more than 38 minutes in the Super Bowl, but they did. Since then every coach has gone over that game tape looking for the ways to break down Tampa 2 coverages around the league. I asked one coach if he is worried about not having Peyton Manning to carry out the plan. "Most teams," he replied, "don't have a middle linebacker like Urlacher running the scheme."

A number of defensive coaches told me they will not be running the pure Tampa 2 as much as they have in the past. Instead, they will be blending in a lot more safety-down-in-the-box looks and man schemes to change the look of the Tampa 2. As one defensive coach said, "The quarterbacks in this league are getting too many looks at the Tampa 2 coverage and they know what to do with the ball. We have to change it up more than ever."

Besides what the Colts were able to do, there are a number of teams running an over/under principle on the Tampa 2 coverage: Drive a seam route down the middle -- usually by a tight end -- and trigger the deep drop by the Mike, or strongside middle linebacker, and then run a 12-yard dig route by a wide receiver under the tight end and in front of the Mike. The big stretch by the deep route can produce a nice hole in the middle of the field.

Finally, I remember how many assistant coaches got head coaching positions by claiming to be disciples of the Bill Walsh West Coast offense and over time it was hard to recognize all the different variations of the West Coast offense. Jon Gruden's version is different than Mike Holmgren's. Brad Childress doesn't run the same version that he ran with the Eagles.

So, the Tampa 2 scheme is getting ready for a big change in the NFL this season. One team that regularly gets described as a "Tampa 2" team hardly ever plays the coverage anymore. After I watch some of the late-season game tapes from 2006, I asked the coach what happened to his famous coverage. "Can't play it anymore," he said. "It lost its competitive edge from overuse."

Sounds to me like the Tampa 2 is being phased out around the league as a core defense.
name the tampa 2 defenses that done great this year. it sure wasnt the bears or bucs. tony dungy's colts did the best. as shown above dungy is ahead of the curve though.
Old 01-09-2008, 11:08 AM   #2
MACH1
Quest For Seven
Supporter

Member Number: 3236
Thanked 5,008 Times in 1,867 Posts
Default Re: Steelers SHOULD NOT switch to Tampa-2 defense

How many of the last SB's were won with teams running 3-4 vs. 4-3?....The 3-4 well out numbers the 4-3 tampa.

I doubt with lebeau coming back that we'll switch over completely, probly some sort of hybrid or depending on personnel and situation run a little bit of both.

I for one am glad lebeau will be back next year.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
MACH1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 12:40 PM   #3
Dino 6 Rings
Living Legend

Member Number: 6891

You need the right tools in place for any defense and this season, we were missing a couple screws.
Dino 6 Rings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 01:17 PM   #4
OneForTheToe
Living Legend

Member Number: 2408

If Woodly pans out we would have the best combo of out side pass rushers since the Greene/ Lloyd era. that would in turn open things up for others like Kiesel, when he is at his rushing position. Of course if's are always just that, if's.
OneForTheToe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 02:57 PM   #5
jjpro11
Living Legend

Member Number: 3559

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneForTheToe View Post
If Woodly pans out we would have the best combo of out side pass rushers since the Greene/ Lloyd era. that would in turn open things up for others like Kiesel, when he is at his rushing position. Of course if's are always just that, if's.
i agree.. woodley will have a lot to do with the success or failure of the defense next season. it will be nice too because he will have aaron smith in front of him. harrison got double teamed and held a lot this season. he needs someone on the other side to take the pressure off. haggans just wasnt doing it for him like he did for porter in the past.
jjpro11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 06:30 PM   #6
19ward86
Head Coach

Member Number: 2717

the day we switch to the tampa 2, 4-3 defense is when we trade hampton. he is a NT and i dont think he would be as valuable in a 4-3. he doesnt have the speed to get to the QB so i think if we switched to a 4-3 we would trade him for a shaun rogers type of guy. i also like what our D looks like with woodley, harrison, foote, and farrior as linebackers, i have a feeling that next season will be very sack plentiful.
Old 01-09-2008, 06:58 PM   #7
verks36
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 5088

I really really want to keep the 3-4

the longer Leabuea stays the better. We have proven we can win a super bowl in the modern era using a 3-4. The steelers D is known for that 3-4 because we have great linebackers. Just because Tomlin runs a different D doesnt mean we should all of sudden switch what is a cornerstone for the steelers

xbox live gamertag= NtL doubledooky
I dedicate the 36 at the end of my name to thee Jerome bettis

"Working hard beats talent that doesn't work hard."- Kevin Durrant

IF YOU ARE NOT A STEELERS FAN CLICK HERE
---------------------------------------------------->>>>http://vpoet.net/flash/youare.swf

--------------DA Offical Steelers Soulja Boy Dance----------------------
http://youtube.com/watch?v=-F-9s3vWOXk
verks36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 07:21 PM   #8
delhess
Starter

Member Number: 5509

yeah, i remember that article by pat kerwin (i know you are a big fan). i agree with it.

i do think however, that if we begin to have defensive issues, (or as tomlin starts to draft more of his "type" def players) that tomlin will naturally gravitate towards a tampa 2. i could be wrong, however, i don't think that i have tomlin figured out yet.

i am very happy to have lebeau back, but he won't be around for ever, then what. i think tomlin will prepare for that day.
Old 01-09-2008, 07:32 PM   #9
RJC
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 6896

The Steelers are not switching to the 4-3. They'll stcik with what they know. Woodley will be the next Kevin Greene. ..
RJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 12:19 AM   #10
Rhee Rhee
Head Coach

Member Number: 7579

i say stick with the 3-4... it's been working ever since cowher got here... if it aint broke don't fix it...

it would be interesting to see if there were any 4-3 supporters out there as I'd love to here your points of view...