Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Locker Room

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 01-10-2008, 11:00 AM   #1
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 8,189 Times in 3,490 Posts
Default Sad day for America (Dems in particular)

NM Gov. Bill Richardson pulls out of presidential race after gaining only 2% and 4% in iowa and new hampshire.

while he never really had a shot, i was hoping for him to last a few more weeks to get his name out there and gain a bit more exposure. he had a nice spot on with hannity on fox news where sean thanked him and said while they always dont agree on the issues, richardson is always willing to appear on the show and discuss them, unlike many of his running mates.

richardson laughed and said he was a member of a dying breed... a "tax cutting democrat" in the mold of JFK, who was for the working people.

our local news said it best, that he would barely be a blip on the radar in states such as NY, NJ, and CA, where his campaign cant even afford television commercial spots. its almost a shame he couldnt garner more support.

you would think foreign diplomacy, a balanced budget, and a growing dependance on foreign oil was high on peoples priorities, but then again, none of the other candidates have really dealt 1st hand with all these issues.

it seems "crygate" or "teargate" is what really matters...

anyways, thanks bill. if a cabinet seat as secretary of state, or something, isnt in the plans, i look forward to many more years of service to the state of new mexico.

http://www.governor.state.nm.us/governor.php

Quote:
Bill Richardson is serving his second term as Governor of New Mexico. He was re-elected in 2006 with the support of 69 percent of voters, representing the largest margin of victory for any Governor in state history. He was supported by Democrats, Republicans and Independents, winning in both urban and rural counties New Mexicans overwhelmingly endorsed Governor Richardson's aggressive efforts to improve education, cut taxes, build a high-wage economy, expand health care access, invest in renewable energy and make New Mexico safer.

Bill Richardson's fiscally responsible governing style has allowed New Mexico to tackle important priorities, shifting education money from administration to the classroom, cutting taxes for working families and raising the minimum wage, while maintaining a balanced budget and the highest reserves in state history. He cut $230 million in bureaucratic waste, invested in new opportunities for New Mexico's children and returned more than $1 billion dollars in taxes to working families.
Quote:
Richardson has met face-to-face with some of the world's most intimidating leaders. He negotiated the release of prisoners from Saddam Hussein, convinced corrupt foreign heads of state to step down, and oversaw and reformed one of the most challenging and unmanageable agencies in government, the Department of Energy. In recognition of his concern for human rights abuses and his diplomatic work throughout the world, Richardson was nominated five times for the Nobel Peace Prize.
Quote:
While a congressman, Richardson served as a special envoy on many sensitive international missions. He successfully won the release of hostages, American servicemen, and prisoners in North Korea, Iraq, and Cuba. He also secured the release of an Albuquerque resident who was kept hostage in Sudan.

In 1997, Richardson was nominated to be the U.S. Ambassador to the United Nations. At the U.N., Richardson addressed many difficult international negotiating challenges and crises all over the world. He served as an advocate for the realization of universal human rights and fair and democratic governance worldwide. He worked to increase security by fighting international terrorism and the creation and proliferation of biological weapons. He fought to increase awareness of the status of women in places like Afghanistan and Africa. He promoted economic development through both private and public means, and always stood for international fair labor standards. Richardson ensured that issues such as global warming, and public health crises were not overlooked.

In 1998, Richardson was unanimously confirmed by the United States Senate as Secretary of Energy -- a department with deep roots in New Mexico. Upon nominating Richardson to the energy post, the president remarked, "If there's one word that comes to mind when I think of Bill Richardson, it really is energy."

Richardson won praise for his can-do, hands-on management style. He tackled tough problems - from gas prices to security lapses at nuclear weapons laboratories - and offered a host of new initiatives and achieved many successes, including several projects based here in New Mexico.
Old 01-10-2008, 11:07 AM   #2
GBMelBlount
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 5140
Thanked 2,067 Times in 946 Posts
Default Re: Sad day for America (Dems in particular)

I liked most of what I read about him. The best Democratic candidate by far IMHO.

~ 3 Doors Down

GBMelBlount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 11:09 AM   #3
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984

Quote:
it seems "crygate" or "teargate" is what really matters...
Either that, or holding a rally reminiscent of a 3-ring circus with Oprah as the ringleader. Style over substance, style over substance.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 11:53 AM   #4
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 7,299 Times in 3,268 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
Either that, or holding a rally reminiscent of a 3-ring circus with Oprah as the ringleader. Style over substance, style over substance.
American citizens get the government we deserve - if flash gets elected & substance does not, guess what we receive in campaigns - hard to imagine FDR or Reagan plugging in their electric guitar to play at campaign rallies

I no longer say it cannot get any worse
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 12:25 PM   #5
TackleMeBen
Southern Belle
Supporter

Location: where all the cute men are(especially the one in my avatar)
Member Number: 4435

In memory of my brother Michael, who gave me my love of sports. I will miss you!
TackleMeBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 12:34 PM   #6
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
American citizens get the government we deserve - if flash gets elected & substance does not, guess what we receive in campaigns - hard to imagine FDR or Reagan plugging in their electric guitar to play at campaign rallies

I no longer say it cannot get any worse

AD....

We very often disagree on numerous things. You couldn't be more right here however.

How I long for another Lincoln/Douglas debate. The problem is, too many of our citizens don't have the skill to actually sit down and read through the paper thoroughly enough to actually figure out what answers actually were. Thus, we get what...

One minute sound clips... Rock concert type campaigning... Conventions that look more like a 4 or 5 day orchestrated dance then real debate and politics... because our populous seems to be too ignorant to want/care/understand anything else.

I'm so fed up with American politics.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 12:45 PM   #7
sherlock
Starter
Supporter

Member Number: 7836

I love your sentiments here fellas.
It`s just the same here in the UK.....spin,soundbites,"sexing up",all style no substance or integrity....I don`t know if this thread makes me want to laugh or cry!
sherlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 12:49 PM   #8
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherlock View Post
I love your sentiments here fellas.
It`s just the same here in the UK.....spin,soundbites,"sexing up",all style no substance or integrity....I don`t know if this thread makes me want to laugh or cry!
Funny thought.... I thought Tony Blair a pretty good guy.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 01:04 PM   #9
GBMelBlount
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 5140
Thanked 2,067 Times in 946 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherlock View Post
...I don`t know if this thread makes me want to laugh or cry!
If you're running for office, make sure you cry, and do it at just the right time in front of the largest audience possible!

~ 3 Doors Down

Last edited by GBMelBlount; 01-10-2008 at 04:49 PM. Reason: typo
GBMelBlount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 01:11 PM   #10
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 8,189 Times in 3,490 Posts

i think a few things possibly hurt richardson.

1) his last name isnt Hernandez. we all should know hispanics are the fastest growing demographic in america. bill is mexican. while i have no problems with a minority in office, i think it has almost become a novelty that hilary is a woman and obama is black. i almost find it admirable that richardson isnt riding on something as significant as race, color, creed, sex as the backbone of his campaign.

i find it rediculous we have to hear the pundits speculate whether hilary needs to cry at every tourstop, or whether she will subtly have to play the race card to put/raise herself above barak in the polls.

2) richardson didnt plan on slinging any mud. richardson has said he isnt gonna focus on the negatives of the other candidates. while he might attack their stance or issues, he wasnt gonna engage in tearing down candidates to make himself look bigger. it really seems like the dem nomination will go to whoever can sling the most mud or tear down the other, between hilary and barak.

3) republicans and independants can deal with and live with him. perhaps he just isnt far enough to the left.

oh well. remember about 2 years ago when gas prices were artificially inflated to 3 bucks a gallon to prepare us for that being the standard and the record profits for oil companies we currently see? remember how heating oil and natural gas prices spiked too?

it sure was nice of the governor to cut every "head of household" in new mexico a check, for natural gas surplus in profits our state brought in that year.

hey, $100 is a hunnerd bucks.