Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 01-10-2008, 12:26 PM   #1
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 7,487 Times in 3,333 Posts
Default Tomlin plans to bring entire staff back

Mike Tomlin said at his final news conference of the season that he plans to bring his entire coaching staff back for the 2008 season.
The Steelers' struggled along the offensive line and on special teams, leading to speculation that Tomlin might make some changes.

"At this point my intention is to keep the staff intact," Tomlin said today at the Steelers' South Side practice facility. "Generally I'm pleased with our staff."

The Steelers' special teams were a problem all season, and Tomlin said he will "leave no stone unturned" in turning the unit into a "great" one.

Tomlin said special teams had been one of his biggest concerns because the Steelers had lost "core" guys such as Sean Morey, Mike Logan and James Harrison from previous years.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_546854.html

Of course STs were horrible prior to the loss of the "core guys" - blaming the ST problems on loss of personnel is a cop out

I suppose one lesson they teach in Mangement 101 is that if the boss fires someone after their first year on the job some may say the boss screwed up by hiring them in the first place - maybe heads roll only if next year does not go well and Tomlin needs to sacrifice someone to deflect balme from him

Another puzzling decision if "leaving no stone unturned" means bringing back the Titanic's navigator for another cruise.
Atlanta Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 12:58 PM   #2
Counselor
Starter

Member Number: 5075
Default Re: Tomlin plans to bring entire staff back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
Of course STs were horrible prior to the loss of the "core guys" - blaming the ST problems on loss of personnel is a cop out

I suppose one lesson they teach in Mangement 101 is that if the boss fires someone after their first year on the job some may say the boss screwed up by hiring them in the first place - maybe heads roll only if next year does not go well and Tomlin needs to sacrifice someone to deflect balme from him

Another puzzling decision if "leaving no stone unturned" means bringing back the Titanic's navigator for another cruise.
ST LAST YEAR was horrible because our returners fumbled every ball that came their way, and we didn't get much in the way of return yards.

ST THIS YEAR was horrible because we couldn't tackle the guy with the ball and we didn't get much in the way of return yards.

So, the loss of those "core" guys on the coverage team from last year to this year is not a cop out---its a fact. The only consistent problem over two years was no big returns---which can be attributed equally to the returner, the coaches, and the blockers.
ST coaches were the ones that I thought might go, but I can't say I'm suprised they didn't. Hell Cowher's teams were rarely special teams stalwarts---and that was his specialty. We can only pray they improve next year.
Counselor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 01:05 PM   #3
TackleMeBen
Southern Belle
Supporter

Location: where all the cute men are(especially the one in my avatar)
Member Number: 4435

well it cant get no worse....or can it???

In memory of my brother Michael, who gave me my love of sports. I will miss you!
TackleMeBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 01:07 PM   #4
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984

Quote:
Originally Posted by TackleMeBen View Post
well it cant get no worse....or can it???
Yep, 10-6 and a playoff berth really blows, especially after the wonderful 8-8 train wreck last season. The only one I'm truly disappointed to see Tomlin bringing back is Ligashesky, and like Counselor said, we can only pray that the STs improve next year.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 01:09 PM   #5
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

Quote:
Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
Yep, 10-6 and a playoff berth really blows, especially after the wonderful 8-8 train wreck last season.
Sorry FS... on this one I gotta agree with her...

I am HORRIFIED everytime we have to kick off. We had a great season, but outside of our O line, I think this is our greatest glaring weakness.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 01:12 PM   #6
Rhee Rhee
Head Coach

Member Number: 7579

patience is a virtue... and obviously the rooneys and tomlin have many virtues.
Old 01-10-2008, 01:13 PM   #7
TackleMeBen
Southern Belle
Supporter

Quote:
Yep, 10-6 and a playoff berth really blows, especially after the wonderful 8-8 train wreck last season. The only one I'm truly disappointed to see Tomlin bringing back is Ligashesky, and like Counselor said, we can only pray that the STs improve next year.
76, i was just talking about ST. i am thrilled that ben came back with vengence and that we made the playoffs and were 10-6. i was expecting 8-8 again with a new headcoach. sorry for the misunderstanding

In memory of my brother Michael, who gave me my love of sports. I will miss you!
Old 01-10-2008, 01:15 PM   #8
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
Sorry FS... on this one I gotta agree with her...

I am HORRIFIED everytime we have to kick off. We had a great season, but outside of our O line, I think this is our greatest glaring weakness.
Yep, if the context of the comment was the STs, I agree - but I've seen more than one comment here in the last week that the entire season was an utter abject failure from every conceivable perspective, a viewpoint I strongly disagree with, especially in light of the 2006 season.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 01:23 PM   #9
TackleMeBen
Southern Belle
Supporter

Quote:
Yep, if the context of the comment was the STs, I agree - but I've seen more than one comment here in the last week that the entire season was an utter abject failure from every conceivable perspective, a viewpoint I strongly disagree with, especially in light of the 2006 season.
no the entire season wasnt a failure.. the ST yes, Oline play, yes.. but we cant help injuries and having to put in 3rd stringers b/c others are hurt. i was thrilled with the majority of the season.. (although that jet lost killed me.....)

Old 01-10-2008, 01:40 PM   #10
ShutDown24
Team President

Member Number: 3997

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
[I]

That is definatley why the staff is staying... Great deducing there... What is the one word you tihnk of when I say Steelers managment? Because it should be stability. Firing an assistant coach after one season is almost as bad as firing a head coach after his first.