Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 01-10-2008, 01:45 PM   #11
FourThreeMafia
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 3558
Default Re: Tomlin plans to bring entire staff back

Im not a fan of firing coaches unless it really calls for it.

Ligashesky NEEDS to be canned. There is no way around it.

Special teams this year look like they had no coaching whatsoever.
Old 01-10-2008, 02:06 PM   #12
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
I suppose one lesson they teach in Mangement 101 is that if the boss fires someone after their first year on the job some may say the boss screwed up by hiring them in the first place - maybe heads roll only if next year does not go well and Tomlin needs to sacrifice someone to deflect balme from him
Maybe, but I don't see it that way. If the team truly underperforms next year, Tomlin WILL hear about it as far as the fans and local Pittsburgh media go regardless - look at some of the posts and articles linked on this very board this year as proof of that. Thankfully, the Rooneys possess the kind of patience that a good 90%+ of the rest of the NFL owners don't have (the only owners I can think of that come close to having the kind of patience the Rooneys have are Bowlen here in Denver and the Panthers' Richardson) and won't fire anybody as a result of knee-jerk overreaction.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 02:14 PM   #13
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 7,207 Times in 3,233 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
Thankfully, the Rooneys possess the kind of patience that a good 90%+ of the rest of the NFL owners don't have and won't fire anybody as a result of knee-jerk overreaction.
I always got the impression part of the Rooneys patience includes not micro-managing & letting the HC decide who stays and goes on his staff

Cowher had a quick trigger finger to dispatch assistants (1993/Erhardt to keep Gailey/Sherman/Gilbride/Lewis) when he was displeased & I assume those were his calls and not the Rooneys.

Part of it may be Tomlin is new at this and is reluctant to fire an assistant while not wanting to develop a rep around the league as quickly blaming assistants since when you fire somene you need to replace 'em.
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 02:19 PM   #14
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

Quote:
Yep, if the context of the comment was the STs, I agree - but I've seen more than one comment here in the last week that the entire season was an utter abject failure from every conceivable perspective, a viewpoint I strongly disagree with, especially in light of the 2006 season.
Ding ding...

I agree whole-heartedly... with the entire sentiment.

This was a pretty good season, with two glaring failures, and one disappointment. In order, those are, ST, O line and Run D. Interestingly, both O line and Run donly showed their head in the second half, which is why I wonder if it has something to do with training camp. I loved the attitude going into camp. I just hope there is a balance that we can strike.

ST... Notice how we got better in certain parts... including punting and (I beleive), covering punts. The issue was on kickoffs. Maybe they are taking it step by step. Let's hope.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 02:19 PM   #15
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
Cowher had a quick trigger finger to dispatch assistants (1993/Erhardt to keep Gailey/Sherman/Gilbride/Lewis) when he was displeased & I assume those were his calls and not the Rooneys.

Part of it may be Tomlin is new at this and is reluctant to fire an assistant while not wanting to develop a rep around the league as quickly blaming assistants since when you fire somene you need to replace 'em.
Very good point and great contrast - one I hadn't considered before - maybe Cowher missed opportunities at getting assistants he preferred later on in his tenure in Pittsburgh due to his quick trigger finger(?) Very possibly Tomlin wants to avoid that himself(?)
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 02:25 PM   #16
TackleMeBen
Southern Belle
Supporter

Location: where all the cute men are(especially the one in my avatar)
Member Number: 4435

i am sure coach tomlin knows what he is doing. however if ST doesnt improve next seaon then the ST coach needs to be let go...i am willing to give them another year together to learn each others style of coaching. Or I will have to get out my wok, and wok someone up side the head with it.lol

In memory of my brother Michael, who gave me my love of sports. I will miss you!
TackleMeBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 02:25 PM   #17
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

Quote:
Very good point and great contrast - one I hadn't considered before - maybe Cowher missed opportunities at getting assistants he preferred later on in his tenure in Pittsburgh due to his quick trigger finger(?) Very possibly Tomlin wants to avoid that himself(?)
(second try at posting this)

With the family that is the Steelers, I wouldn't be surprised if Cowher handed down a few gems of advice to Tomlin when he left.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 02:53 PM   #18
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Quote:
Cowher had a rep of being pure hell to work for in the mid-1990s before he was humbled by his late 1990s rebuilding period

The best ST coach the Steelers had was Bobby April and he allegedly took a lateral move to another ST position to get away & Coach Dad left the Steelers D coordinator position to be D coodrinator with the Bengals (under Coslet?) when the Bengals were in characteristic train wreck mode and the Steelers were playoff contenders. Given their relationship, LeBeau coming back in 2004 was asurprise to some.

IMO what kept coaches coming to work for Cowher was that his top assistants (Capers, Haslet, Gailey, Mularkey) regularly got HC positions
Old 01-10-2008, 02:55 PM   #19
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
(second try at posting this)

With the family that is the Steelers, I wouldn't be surprised if Cowher handed down a few gems of advice to Tomlin when he left.
If it is a family then Cowher is Fredo - Cowher stuck the knife in on the 3rd and 6 Ben bootleg call on CBS on Sunday
Old 01-10-2008, 08:20 PM   #20
Dynasty
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 2396

By saying what?