Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 01-11-2008, 07:53 PM   #21
steelers2685
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 8032
Default Re: Steelers' Tomlin: "I throw caution to the wind. I play to win."

I have no problems with the two point conversions, as it wouldn't have mattered had we kicked a PAT anyways!

I do, however, have a HUGE problem with the play calling on the drive that we should've converted for a first down and ran out the clock. With passing working down after down there in the 4th quarter, we resort to three running plays? Why did Tomlin NOT say something differently? That's what I have a problem with. Special teams took the momentum away there at the beginning, but Ben bounced back.

I'm glad the Rooney's brought him in, but feel he needs to take a hands on approach on the sidelines.... don't know bout you guys, but standing there and watching then commenting on the game of 'attrition' and 'it is what it is' every single week has gotten old already.
Old 01-12-2008, 03:46 PM   #22
augustashark
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 900

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVSteelersfan View Post
Did you all see what happened on the last play of the game? Ben got sacked and fumbled the ball. THAT is exactly what they were afraid was going to happen on that third and six. That is why they got conservative. I hate the fact they didn't try to pass but Ben has gotten sacked so many times on third down this year it was ridiculous. I just don't understand why they don't roll him out on third down to get away from that pressure a little bit. Oh well, I am not a coach. What the heck do I know?
Fist off, you're talking about two different situations. One is where we need to drive it 60yds to get into field goal range. The other is where we needed to pick up one maybe two first downs to seal the game!

Your logic does not fly. Everyone focuses on the third down call, I still feel that we should have ran a quick-playaction pass on second down. At the end of the game they knew we had to pass, therefore they were going to pin the ears back and bring the house. Oh well, game over, time to prepare for 08.
Old 01-12-2008, 05:05 PM   #23
Thomas Mihalich
Water Boy

Member Number: 3293

Quote:
Originally Posted by augustashark View Post
Fist off, you're talking about two different situations. One is where we need to drive it 60yds to get into field goal range. The other is where we needed to pick up one maybe two first downs to seal the game!

Your logic does not fly. Everyone focuses on the third down call, I still feel that we should have ran a quick-playaction pass on second down. At the end of the game they knew we had to pass, therefore they were going to pin the ears back and bring the house. Oh well, game over, time to prepare for 08.
Ben gave it hell in the second half. He really got roughed up in the first half which I believe led to the interceptions.
Ben's tough and carried the Steelers on his back in the second half. Should have passed in the last series, that's how we went up 29-28!

How would any of us fared after the accident he was in? He'll be a great quarterback for Pittsburgh for many years.
Thomas Mihalich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 08:14 PM   #24
DP_Steeler
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 8075

Regardless of the many debates over the final play selection, Tomlin did not look like a coach playing to win, but rather a coach not assertive enough and simply hoping that we would somehow squeek out a win.

There are dangers to running - fumbles, lost yardage, etc; there are dangers to passing as some of you have stated, but when you are living and dying on the pass as we were forced, to I'm not sure why the play was for a QB bootleg.
DP_Steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 08:19 PM   #25
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
When you call a planned run on a third and long with a slow quarterback, you're going to take some heat. Especially if you just happen to have the best third down receiver in the business and one of the better young tight ends in football on your roster.

It was a dumb call and Tomlin needs to say so.

And if that play went for 15 yards... you would be saying it was a very good call... Since everyone would be expecting a pass to Ward or a TE.

Amazing how people forget there is a defense out there that we are trying to play against... and plays are called according to how a defense sets up.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 10:03 PM   #26
conservativesteelers
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 8118

Look , Patriots 3rd and 6.. throw a pass play to Stallworth.. 1st down.. game over..!!
conservativesteelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 10:06 PM   #27
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984

Quote:
Originally Posted by conservativesteelers View Post
Look , Patriots 3rd and 6.. throw a pass play to Stallworth.. 1st down.. game over..!!
Game was already well in hand before that....
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 10:07 PM   #28
conservativesteelers
Draft Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
Game was already well in hand before that....

kind of true.. but still.. the Patriots always throw in the at situation.. even if up by one score.. guaranteed.. I"ll harp on that 3rd and 6 and next to last drive all off-season by the Steelers.
Old 01-12-2008, 10:08 PM   #29
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984

Quote:
Originally Posted by conservativesteelers View Post
kind of true.. but still.. the Patriots always throw in the at situation.. even if up by one score.. guaranteed.. I"ll harp on that 3rd and 6 and next to last drive all off-season by the Steelers.
Yeah, considering that their running game isn't the greatest, they pretty much throw on EVERY play.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 10:13 PM   #30
conservativesteelers
Draft Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
Yeah, considering that their running game isn't the greatest, they pretty much throw on EVERY play.

huh!! The Patriots running game is good.. but they only choose to throw it on almost every play. HOw many yards Marony sp? have tonight, .. yea.. I thought so.