Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 01-11-2008, 09:14 AM   #1
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 8,487 Times in 3,732 Posts
Default Tomlin On What Motivates Free Agents

Although the question was asked in the context of whether the Heinz turf could be a factor in a free agent deciding to play for the Steelers, this response by Tomlin was refreshingly candid:

When asked if the playing surface at Heinz Field might be a deterrent to a free agent the Steelers covet, coach Mike Tomlin said, "Let's be real: free agency is about dollars and cents. I've never seen anyone make a decision on anything other than dollars and cents."

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_546936.html

Add Tomlin to those of us who think any idea Faneca, Starks or anyone else is going to give a discount for the alleged glory of playing for the Black & Gold is wishful thinking.

Last edited by Atlanta Dan; 01-11-2008 at 09:25 AM.
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 09:32 AM   #2
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 10,883 Times in 4,504 Posts
Default Re: Tomlin On What Motivates Free Agents

yeah, im not too sure starks is looking at giving out any charity to a team that benched him.

faneca not dogging it this season (i was worried he would just go through the motions) ensured his possible record payday.

we'll have to see what randy moss does this off season to support tomlins theory.
Old 01-11-2008, 09:36 AM   #3
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post

we'll have to see what randy moss does this off season to support tomlins theory.
Moss will be all about $$$ - he will either get his ring or, if the Pats lose, figure being a team player got the same end result as when he was a jerk so why not max out the payday.
Old 01-11-2008, 11:13 AM   #4
SteelerFanInCA
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 875

In the end it's still all about the $$$$. I find highly unlikely a field surface would have any impact on what FA's we sign.
SteelerFanInCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 11:30 AM   #5
aburdell
Water Boy

Member Number: 2310

I don't care about the Rooneys cheap history. They need to realize that the only strong point of the O-line was Faneca. I'm still not a fan of Starks and they need to realize that we can afford to lose Starks, but letting Faneca go is a terrible idea. We can easily draft better lineman than Starks, but it takes years to get another Faneca. There is a lot of good lineman this year in the draft so we will see sometime soon what the staff wants to do.
aburdell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 11:47 AM   #6
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by aburdell View Post
I don't care about the Rooneys cheap history. They need to realize that the only strong point of the O-line was Faneca. I'm still not a fan of Starks and they need to realize that we can afford to lose Starks, but letting Faneca go is a terrible idea. We can easily draft better lineman than Starks, but it takes years to get another Faneca. There is a lot of good lineman this year in the draft so we will see sometime soon what the staff wants to do.
But you will not be paying Faneca in 2008 for "another Faneca" - you will be paying top $ for a player over 30 in decline. Forget the AP All-Pro popularity contest - I posted this in another thread but think it is helpful to get a reality check on where Faneca now ranks by reading the All-Pro column by Dr.Z. of SI:

GUARDS (Logan Mankins, Jason Brown) Mankins was my favorite guard last year, and this one, too. He's got it all, brains, quickness, meanness. I saw him have only one tough game, and that was against Haloti Ngata of the Ravens, but everyone has trouble trying to move that guy. It's like blocking something out of a quarry.

A sleeper, Brown of the Ravens, ran away with my other position. A different type. He's a 6-3, 320-pound bowling ball, and when he hits 'em, they fly. If I needed any convincing at all on him, and I really didn't, it came against the Patriots, when he just about put a hole in Richard Seymour's chest.

People occasionally ask me for my scoring numbers on the linemen, and I don't mind providing them, except for the tackles because they're embarrassingly low. But here are the grades for my top guards: Mankins 5.5; Brown 5.3; Hutchinson of the Vikings, a little slower, a little less sure footed than my pair, 4.7; Lilja of the Colts 3.7; the Redskins' Pete Kendall, who had a terrific game at Green Bay, 3.6; Pittsburgh's Faneca, not as young nor as balanced as he used to be, 3.5; Andrews of Philly 3.2.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...ll.pros/1.html

Faneca still is a good starter but not worth busting the budget. Sign Faneca and say godbye to Miller or Holmes in a couple years because the cap will prevent re-signing them..
Old 01-11-2008, 12:12 PM   #7
jjpro11
Living Legend

Member Number: 3559

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
Moss will be all about $$$ - he will either get his ring or, if the Pats lose, figure being a team player got the same end result as when he was a jerk so why not max out the payday.
they'll probably end up resigning him.. samuel is the odd man out in new england. theres no way they can break up the offense that got them all those records. kraft is a prick, but he isnt dumb.
jjpro11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 03:06 PM   #8
The_WARDen
Head Coach

Member Number: 7628

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
not that I'm a Moss fan, but isn't he a bargain at his salary and playing to win this year?
After reading the idiotic threads over the past couple of weeks, I ask the question - "Who is worse...Steeler fans or Eagles fans?" Keep in mind that Eagle fans do not know what it's like to win a SB much less 6 and 2 this decade.
The_WARDen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 03:20 PM   #9
mopit55
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 2035

the priority is to sign big ben,heath and santonio so alan gone.marvel smith is 30's.we must sign max starks and take an another o-tackle in the draft.
mopit55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 05:07 PM   #10
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_WARDen View Post
not that I'm a Moss fan, but isn't he a bargain at his salary and playing to win this year?

No doubt he is a fantastic bargain this year - but next year he gets his payday from someone