Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 01-11-2008, 08:57 PM   #11
Glace
Team Captain

Member Number: 3609
Default Re: Tomlin On What Motivates Free Agents

I like Faneca's leadership, but we have more pressing needs than a single lineman taking a huge chunk out of our salary cap.

Besides...through the draft or free agency, 5 good linemen is better than 1 great lineman and 4 others either average or sub-par.
Glace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 03:39 AM   #12
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,030 Times in 1,277 Posts
My Mood: Lurking

I don't see how the type of field you pay on has any thing to do in signing of player like tomlin said they play for money.
Galax Steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 04:19 AM   #13
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

Quote:
Originally Posted by aburdell View Post
I don't care about the Rooneys cheap history. They need to realize that the only strong point of the O-line was Faneca. I'm still not a fan of Starks and they need to realize that we can afford to lose Starks, but letting Faneca go is a terrible idea. We can easily draft better lineman than Starks, but it takes years to get another Faneca. There is a lot of good lineman this year in the draft so we will see sometime soon what the staff wants to do.
OK.

Let's get this straight.

two words.

SALARY CAP.

Please show me a season where we have played with anything more then 5 mil under the cap.. heck, 2 mil.

People who say the Rooneys are cheap have a hard time with subtraction... because they sure can't figure out a salary cap.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 05:58 AM   #14
FourThreeMafia
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 3558

Quote:
Originally Posted by aburdell View Post
I don't care about the Rooneys cheap history. They need to realize that the only strong point of the O-line was Faneca. I'm still not a fan of Starks and they need to realize that we can afford to lose Starks, but letting Faneca go is a terrible idea. We can easily draft better lineman than Starks, but it takes years to get another Faneca. There is a lot of good lineman this year in the draft so we will see sometime soon what the staff wants to do.
Only misinformed people call the Rooneys cheap. We always use most of, if not all our cap space. As Preacher stated above, how often do the Steelers have that much space left under the cap? Look at some of the other teams around the league that have $20 mil under the cap every year before calling the Rooneys cheap.

Do you want to know why those misinformed people call the Rooneys cheap?

Its not because they dont like to spend money. They just dont like handing out huge contracts to players that dont deserve it. I mean, how many free agents that the Steelers let go went on to bigger and better things? How many times has letting a FA walk severely hurt us?

People said we were cheap for letting Burress walk. Ben had a better season the following year and we won the SB. So obviously, he wasnt integral to what we do.

People said we were cheap for letting Porter walk. James Harrison comes in and has a pro bowl year.

The Steelers are usually smart with their money. They sometimes bring in a FA bust like Mahan or Duce Staley. But the Steelers always keep players they know are instrumental in the team's success. Hines Ward, Casey Hampton, Troy Polamalu, and soon Ben Roethlisberger....all given big contracts to remain Steelers. If the front office feels a player needs to be retained, they make it happen.

Now, onto Faneca...

Calling Faneca the strong point of our OLine is hilarious. Have you watched him this year? If you are calling him a strong point, Im willing to bet you havent.

Faneca didnt even play like a top 10 guard, much less top 5. I would say it was a fluke, but he didnt play well last year either. He is on the decline and will be 31. You want to give an aging guard with decling skills a huge contract? Faneca is a road grater. He is meant to block for a team that is a run heavy offense. He is a below average pass blocker. Still a great run blocker, but not as dominant as he used to be, especially against better teams.

We are an evolving offense with a franchise QB. Faneca was perfect for the old Steelers, but not for the new Steelers. This is Ben's year to get paid. Faneca's play hasnt even come close to warranting the type of payday he wants. Kind of like Porter last year. I know we cut Porter, but he wanted a huge contract, and his play didnt even warrant the $1 mil bonus he was due to make, so we cut him loose.

I love Faneca. He has been the consummate professional and a great player on this team for years. But his time is up. If Cowher were still here, things might be different because we might still be a power run offense. We are currently a retooling team. Not rebuilding, because we have alot of key pieces in place (Ben, Willie, Santonio, Heath, Woodley, Taylor and Troy) We need to start getting younger on both lines and bringing in players that better fit the scheme.
Old 01-12-2008, 10:46 AM   #15
Stlrs4Life
Tailgate Coordinator
Supporter

Member Number: 419

No doubt, all about the mighty $$$$.

It's not just Steeler Football, it's a way of Life! "I'm a Champion"
Stlrs4Life is offline   Reply With Quote