Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Browns Bills
September 7, 2014, 1:00pmET

CBS

Old 01-11-2008, 02:28 PM   #21
mopit55
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 2035
Default Re: A problem nobody is talking about.

there are a lot cornerbacks in draft.pick one in the third round after the first(o-line) and the second(d-line).
mopit55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 02:48 PM   #22
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327
Default Re: A problem nobody is talikng about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ?teeldude View Post
that's why he isn't a starter. he is a benchwarmer starting because of an injury. nobody is talking about because he isn't going to be starting next season unless the injury hits again. i will say one thing for carter. it was better having him in there than smith. at least he remains disciplined in coverage.
Now that is a post I can agree with.

Smith will be very good in the future however. I look for him to push in camp. I think, like Ike, he got benched and learned his lesson (let's hope). Of course, there are worse things than being too aggressive, like not being aggressive at all.

He just needs to bottle it up and let it out at the right times. that is all.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 02:53 PM   #23
steelpride12
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 5713
Default Re: A problem nobody is talikng about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShutDown24 View Post
Everyone I have talked to thought Carter played fantastic. I thought he played average, that is good for a back up. We missed Ryan Clark more than most people think.
Exactly. Tyrone Carter was the back-up and no one expected him to come in and take over on defense. We missed Ryan Clark big time and with him out most of the season our defense gave up more of the big pass plays and him playing again next year will help out entirely!
steelpride12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 03:06 PM   #24
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

I dunno - I thought Carter played a-OK replacing Troy for those couple of weeks. He didn't have a great game against the Jags but really - none of our defensive players played the game of their life in that game. He is what he is - a backup, but I'm not going to tar and feather the guy after having 47 solos, 16 assists and 3 FF's in a backup role.

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 03:27 PM   #25
NastyLloyd95
Water Boy

Member Number: 6060

The fact that he is a backup is an excuse. There should never be an reason on the Steel D to play that bad. Even though we have all seen it this year a few times.

He just looked a lot slower and a step behind everyone else. And he can't tackle as someone stated..that's one thing we all know....Rod Woodson could tackle, Carnell Lake could tackle..Chad Brown ..etc...

The fact that he is a backup does not wash with me...everyone was a back up at some point...
NastyLloyd95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 06:00 PM   #26
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353

Again, there are reasons for Carter looking good at first then faltering. The opposing teams spend tons of time analyzing the tiniest little trends, and when Carter first started, they didn't have the film or the study in. After a week or two, they had all they needed.

The reason we missed Clark so much is that he and Troy are film buffs. Clark isn't flashy and doesn't make as many "splash plays" (to coin a Tomlin phrase) as Smith, but the dude is never out of position and knows the offense he is facing inside, outside and upside down. Carter is a situational player at best.
Old 01-11-2008, 06:24 PM   #27
Crushzilla
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 5106

I think its fair to say that I was one of the biggest Carter doubters when this season began.

By the playoffs, I was really starting to feel him. It blew my mind that he was so undisciplined for how long he had been in the league, but that was his game this season: discipline.

Unfortunately, he WAS in there for, and really blew, the most crucial play of the 2007 Steelers season... That fourth down QB draw.

The first down was already achieved, as a safety not coming on the blitz he can't really be blamed for that, but had he not tried to tackle Gerrard by the belt, it would have been a much smaller gain.

Its unfortunate, I can't turn on the guy for one blown tackle, because it took more than one boneheaded penalty or hot shot action for me to doubt him. Despite his shortcomings, he adds depth to Safety, on this team, we need the depth anywhere we can get it, so he'll certainly do!
Old 01-11-2008, 07:12 PM   #28
19ward86
Head Coach

Member Number: 2717

he isnt fast enough to play safety, he is a good guy for special teams though, well maybe not since how bad we were last year on ST.
Old 01-11-2008, 07:14 PM   #29
LVSteelersfan
Living Legend

Member Number: 6620
My Mood: Cheerful

Those two plays were as much the fault of Haggans and Farrior who were looking slow as hell in that game. But I agree that Carter had no reason to be on the field against a running team as Smith is faster and a much better hitter. Smith would have knocked Drew into next week on that play, not allowing the TD. Carter is a joke and needs to be gone.

COACH - Breakfast of Champions !!!
LVSteelersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 08:00 PM   #30
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVSteelersfan View Post
Those two plays were as much the fault of Haggans and Farrior who were looking slow as hell in that game. But I agree that Carter had no reason to be on the field against a running team as Smith is faster and a much better hitter. Smith would have knocked Drew into next week on that play, not allowing the TD. Carter is a joke and needs to be gone.
Smith has made his share of bad plays this season as well, LV. With some maturity and a good swift kick in the hiney, I believe Smith will be a tremendous asset to the Steelers secondary in a year or two.

Again - Carter is a backup and knows his role.

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote