Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Media

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

An important history lesson for you TRUE Steelers fans!

Old 01-12-2008, 08:45 AM   #1
rpv
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 3308
Default Sports Talk Shows

How do u people rate the talk shows that we have here in Pittsburgh and which one do u listen to the most?

Madden on ESPN claims that he has the most listeners, IQ and money!! Find him hilarious at times. I like Stan Savron: he seems to know his stuff. Cant listen to Junker and Crow much as I am at work. From my limited listening to their show they seem to be pretty good too. (My take)
rpv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 09:35 PM   #2
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009
Default Re: Sports Talk Shows

In my opinion.....

On TV:

#1) Sportsbeat with Stan Savern at 6:30 PM on FSN Pittsburgh. Love it when he has Bouchette on for Steelers talk and Steigerwald on for Penguins talk. The Steelers and Penguins roundtables are excellent.

#2) The Subway Nightly Sports Call at 10: 35 PM on the CW.

#3) Sunday Sports Showdown on KDKA at 11:35 PM on Sunday's.

McDonald's Action Sports Sunday on WTAE at 11:30 PM on Sunday's is horrible. Andrew Stockey is a horrible host. He just sits there and laughs for a half hour straight. Mark Madden used to be on the show but I believe he was fired. Just a bad show in my opinion.

On radio:

Only one....

#1) Junker and Crowe. I was a fan of Junker when he was with Stan and I remain a fan.

Unfortunately Stan Savern is no longer on radio. They decided to bring in that weasel Tim Benz. Ratings dropped when he stepped in and now they trying Joe Bendel....Zzzz...Zzzz....Zzzz.. Madden does nothing for me. In my opinion, the man is a slob who has no respect for himself.

Last edited by 83-Steelers-43; 01-17-2008 at 09:51 PM.
83-Steelers-43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 10:28 PM   #3
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

Member Number: 541

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83-Steelers-43 View Post
In my opinion.....

On TV:

#1) Sportsbeat with Stan Savern at 6:30 PM on FSN Pittsburgh. Love it when he has Bouchette on for Steelers talk and Steigerwald on for Penguins talk. The Steelers and Penguins roundtables are excellent.

#2) The Subway Nightly Sports Call at 10: 35 PM on the CW.

#3) Sunday Sports Showdown on KDKA at 11:35 PM on Sunday's.

McDonald's Action Sports Sunday on WTAE at 11:30 PM on Sunday's is horrible. Andrew Stockey is a horrible host. He just sits there and laughs for a half hour straight. Mark Madden used to be on the show but I believe he was fired. Just a bad show in my opinion.

On radio:

Only one....

#1) Junker and Crowe. I was a fan of Junker when he was with Stan and I remain a fan.

Unfortunately Stan Savern is no longer on radio. They decided to bring in that weasel Tim Benz. Ratings dropped when he stepped in and now they trying Joe Bendel....Zzzz...Zzzz....Zzzz.. Madden does nothing for me. In my opinion, the man is a slob who has no respect for himself.
Hey 83, you stealin my rankings? haha great minds like us might must think alike.

786 Ways To Score Touchdowns
SteelCityMan786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 10:23 AM   #4
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityMan786 View Post
Hey 83, you stealin my rankings? haha great minds like us might must think alike.
Yeah, but I wish I had that mind power you have........you ask for goals from the Penguins and next thing you know, two minutes later they are ringing off 2 or 3 goals.
Old 01-20-2008, 10:25 AM   #5
Jeremy
Banned

Member Number: 2579

I haven't been in Pittsburgh in a long time, but when I was I thought they were all pretty bad.

Dan Patrick's new show is pretty good though, you guys should check it out.
Jeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 10:27 AM   #6
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Savern is pretty damn good (IMO). Then again, when your the longest running sports tv talk show in the city I guess your doing something right.
Old 01-20-2008, 10:32 AM   #7
MarylandSteeler
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 7277

You want a bad sports show turn on mark madden, the guy cannot get a clean word out of his mouth, nor do I think that he has the ability to say anything nice about anyone.

I am not from Pttsburgh but I have lived here almost 4 years and I love Stan and the sports call and the sports showdown on sunday.

Before I came to Pittsburgh I lived in Maryland, and seeing the sports shows down there it makes me realize how lucky we here in Pittsburgh are to have sports shows like Stan and all the others.

Thank you 83 for mentioning that if Stan wasn't that good why does he have the longest running sports show in Pittsburgh Television history.
MarylandSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 10:42 AM   #8
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarylandSteeler View Post
Thank you 83 for mentioning that if Stan wasn't that good why does he have the longest running sports show in Pittsburgh Television history.
You are welcome. Glad you enjoy the shows up here.

FWIW, by no means am I stating that the Pittsburgh sports shows are perfect. Bob Pompeani's overbearing Steeler homerism can become annoying at times. When he has Bob Smizik on the Nightly Sports Call, his Pirate homerism is DEFINATELY unbearable and pathetic at the same time. Thankfully he has started to tone it down. Maybe he finally realized that the majority of us are not as dumb as he thought we were?

Even on Sports Beat, when Stan has Tunch Ilkin on. We could lose a game 43-0 and Ilkin will find something........ANYTHING in order to praise the team. It's no secret who's paying Ilkin's salary. Still trying to figure out how he made the All-Time Steeler team.

No doubt, they have faults (I'm not expecting them to be perfect), but I'll definately take the local sports shows over the national sports shows (the B.S. ESPN spews on a daily basis) when it comes to talking Pittsburgh sports. For me, it's sort of like muting the TV during away games and putting on WDVE so I do not have to listen to the morons on CBS.
Old 01-20-2008, 10:57 AM   #9
MarylandSteeler
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 7277

I totally agree on all points, you took the words right out of my mouth.
MarylandSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 07:50 PM   #10
SMR
Starter

Member Number: 2111

Yeah Savern rocks.

Last edited by SMR; 01-20-2008 at 07:52 PM. Reason: misspelling
SMR is offline   Reply With Quote